Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Free Press Comments Boards « Previous Next »
Free Press CommentsHugo810001-06-07  12:30 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1223
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't know if anyone has been browsing the Free Press website, but each article now allows you to leave a comments message, much like any internet message board.

I read some of them every now and again, and man-o-man do some of them make this board seem tame in comparison. Seems many of them instantly take a suburb vs. Detroit or a race shout fest.

A couple of recent ones that were pretty interesting are the woman and child killed http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20061221/NEW S99/61221004 and Kwame's neighborhood plan: http://forums.freep.com/viewto pic.php?t=7991

Within a matter of a couple posts, it degrades into hateful, angry language. Blame-fests. It is actually really discouraging. I'm sure a free press web forum isn't a good cross section of the community, but if the views and feelings expressed on those boards are indicative of the way most people in the region feel, Metro Detroit has some serious issues that need to be repaired. I can't believe people could be so hatful, un-caring, and evil simply because of where somebody lives or the color of their skin.

Anyway, just throwing out an observation I suppose.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3425
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Well MDA Bone to answer your question, new suburbs and corporate investment in them were simultaneous developments with their divestment in Detroit and its subsequent economic demise beginning in the 1940s. Detroit was subject to massive divestment from Ford, Chrysler, General Motors and other businesses that found better tax breaks and deals in the newly formed suburbs. Schools were still segregated at the time and the auto plants did not allow black workers to learn skilled trades so when the skilled tradesmen moved to the suburbs following the jobs and low mortgages post-WWII in the new suburbs, which blacks were not allowed to move to due to discrimination in real estate and efforts to prevent blacks to travel out to the suburbs for work caused an economic and racial apartheid in the area. Housing values plummeted, which were also partly decided by federal appraisal guidelines where majority minority neighborhoods were marked less valuable. Blacks came to Detroit as migrants from the South to have better for their families comparable to Latinos. In fact prior to the 1967 riot there was a 1943 riot where blacks were attacked by whites who were becoming upwardly mobile. But when the factories left and legal obstacles were put into place to prevent blacks from migrating to where the jobs moved Detroit's economy tumbled and this was reflected in its physical accoutrements. It had nothing to do with Detroiters liking to be in that environment. You can find examples of this all across this country. The only difference is that in cities like Chicago instead of whites moving completely out of the city they simply split the city up into parts such as North Side and South Side, which were also racially and economically segregated. To get more comprehensive answers and if you really want to know the truth and not stay closed minded just read "Origins of the Urban Crisis" by native Detroiter Thomas J. Sugrue a professor at the Ivy League University of Pennsylvania. Good luck.

That was probably the best response in that forum...

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1009
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Freep.com board is the biggest collection of nasty MFs that you'll find on the internet. Regardless of the subject, the messages ultimately turn into something like "...Coleman Young came to my family's front door, put a gun to our heads and made us move to Oakland County". The people who post on there have lost touch with the city, and honestly have nothing but ill will towards it.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4158
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It also seems as though with both of the paper's forum, the chants of "Fire Millen" seem to be popping up everywhere as well.

Interesting that no one here seems to care anymore about the Lions.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 590
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you think this is bad, try mlive's (A collection of smaller city michigan dailies like ann arbor news, flint journal) board!

Jerome81

Post Number: 1225
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just read some of the new comments on the double murder, and they continue to be just awful. Someone posted they'd rather be dead than live in Detroit. I'm just dumbfounded at so many of the comments I read in nearly all the articles. It is kinda heartbreaking actually.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 719
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More and more by the day, the Internet just proves that some people don't deserve to have their voices heard publically.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the same thing everyday. Blah blah blah ... Detroit should be burned to the ground. Blah blah blah ... because of the blacks. Some people on there look for negative articles for the purpose of justifying their boring existence in the burbs.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 160
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

fi-er-mill-en!

*clap.. clap.. clap-clap-clap*

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4949
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've only read them sporadically, but good God are those some of the nastiest people you'll find, anywhere. It just shows how the anonymity of the internet shows people's true colors. I really do wish more Detroiter's would read the newspapers and comment online, because this nasty ignorance goes unchecked and they speak with impunity. Those boards are decidedly anti-black, anti-Detroit, anti-any forward moving idea.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11041
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I read some of them every now and again, and man-o-man do some of them make this board seem tame in comparison. Seems many of them instantly take a suburb vs. Detroit or a race shout fest.

I laughed over this about a week ago and thought "Oh look, another place for the Hotfudge Detroiters to hang out!" Perhaps one of their members can paint FREEP in the David Whitney now.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1214
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't the freep drop an earlier incarnation of their message boards a few years ago? I seem to recall a Michigan Expatriate board back then. For what reason did they drop those?

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4951
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, a Michigan expatriates website would be a horror to read.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 241
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit News message boards make the Freepers sounds like they're in love with the city...

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4952
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not a surprise considering the slants of each respective editorial boards' lean. The editorial board of the New is decidedly the more conservative of the two.

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to chime in on the comment boards or Detroit News cyber-surveys to defend Detroit, but have since deemed it a waste of my time. There is no amount of reason, statistics, or common sense that can convince these fatuous half-wits that Detroit is a fine and exciting place.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems pointless to argue with these buffoons. It's like arguing with someone about evolution, which I'm guessing plenty of them are also against. Although they definitely deserve to be derided, I save my selling of Detroit to sane, reasoned people.

Jerome81

Post Number: 1233
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I just read all 4 or 5 pages about the guy at Cheli's. Wow. It is truly truly sad. It is quite literally a 4 or 5 page racist rant on both sides of the color spectrum. Just awful awful stuff I can't believe I hear in 2007.

No wonder it can't ever seem to get better. :-(

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 101
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The comment board posted at the end of the article about the mother and daughter killed at the house had people yelling back and forth about where somebody works and such. I didn't see any comments about the article itself. Am I looking at the wrong thing?

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 351
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, most blogs seem to attract hate mongers - especially political ones. Don't read too much into them. They are a small section of society that has found a small forum where their views matter, since no one will pay attention to them in the real world.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3544
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed Yvette...

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 112
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just joined that. Why you say? To solely piss off the idiots who are on that forum. I know a photographer who works for the paper (maybe you'll recall the article they did on Michigan Central a few years when they are on ago. She took those pictures). Even she admitted that the whole paper is crap. So what can we expect off of that forum. Look for me on there occasionally trying to have some fun tormenting them.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 113
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of which, take a look at the Quran article and at some of those comments. I hope no one there lives in Dearborn.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 662
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That place is a sickening, embarrassment to the paper and entire region. Nothing close to reasoned debate happens, it just makes Metro Detroit look 1950's Mississippi.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.