Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Hi-res Heart Plaza Pic « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Spitcoff
Username: Spitcoff

Post Number: 79
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am looking for the link to the pic of the city from heart plaza that was on here a few months ago.... can anyone help me out

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7296
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hart plaza. Hart.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1972
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bless your heart.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2292
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmm I don't know exactly which one but there are bound to be multiple great photos in this photo bank: http://www.flickr.com/groups/c ityofdetroit/pool/

you can search the words 'Hart Plaza', unfortunately when I tried that I didn't find the really great shot that I remember and that you are probably looking for, which is because it is probably not tagged with the words 'Hart Plaza.' It's somewhere in there, though.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 435
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you might be referring to this HDR shot that I posted that was taken by 'Southen'...

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=171657855&context=se t-72057594070592141&size=l

(Message edited by thejesus on December 31, 2006)

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2293
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeahhh beautiful

Spitcoff
Username: Spitcoff

Post Number: 80
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 3:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that was it thanks

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 144
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TheJesus,
Do you mind if I use that as my background on my PC?? I don;t want to use that great pic for a purpose the owner does not want.

Thanks,

JDkeepsmiling

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 436
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JD:

That's not my pic, so it's not for me to say...it the property of a guy whose moniker is 'Southen' on the flickr.com site...I think he sometimes posts here under the same name too...

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11064
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you afraid the internet police are going to raid your home and take your computer over using a picture on the internet as your background? lol

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 67
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No but it is nice to ask and I always appreciate that.

You can use the image for your background. I always leave the large sizes viewable so people can do that. All I ask is that you dont print the image or anything like that. Glad you like it.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 139
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southen,
I really like your MCS pictures. They give some insight into the interior of the structure that some of the other standard interior shots do not.

When you were last in the MCS, how intact did the roofing seem? Were there standing pools of water or anything like that? (Of course, this could depend on how much it had rained in the prior few weeks, too.)

Southen

Post Number: 68
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was last March and the temperatures were still cold enough for freezing. In some places on the lower portions of the building there was some standing water and ice. The roof of the office portion though was perfect and had no water or ice. There are some spots where you can see some water damage but it didnt appear that bad to me.

Cman710

Post Number: 141
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In looking at some satellite pictures, it did look like the roof was in pretty good shape, I am happy to hear that what you saw remains consistent with that (satellite pictures can be a few years old and not very up to date). So that is good for the structure, at least.

Unfortunately, despite the condition of the roof, the complete lack of windows probably allows in some rain/snow and that is probably where some of the rain and ice came from (the lower portion's roof, which is more accessible to vandals, may also be in worse condition).

On your trip, did you see any other urban explorer's inside? I have always thought that a trip inside could be really scary if you stumbled upon a random person inside. The structure is kind of haunting to begin with. Thanks again for the interesting pictures.

Southen

Post Number: 69
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No didnt run into any on that trip but I have bumped into people in other buildings. You get nervous for a moment but most of the people you will find in these places are explorers just documenting the building and they are usually rather friendly.

Cman710

Post Number: 152
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very interesting. I would love to see the inside of MCS some day. I wish there were a way to do it legally.

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 145
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for the permission. I know in this age of easy internet access to all things legal and no so legal, it is easy to just grab and go. I, however would at least like to try and get permission before just taking something as obvious as a photo for personal use.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.