Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » East Side Chinese Food?? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 399
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did a search and I was shocked that I could not find anything...so please forgive me if this has been posted before.

My lady is looking for some good Chinese food. Any suggestions?

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 201
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fair Star on E. Warren

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3826
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Golden Dragon in GP on Mack near warren intersection. Awesome General Tso

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 163
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the Golden Buddha on Harper near Whittier still open?

Parents used to go there, said it was good.

Boshna
Username: Boshna

Post Number: 147
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Golden Buddha closed in Fall 2005.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7298
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New Pekin on E. Jefferson @ Canton (heh) just west of Grand Blvd. 259-1510. The place looks like hell, but has excellent Chinese food. They use large shrimp in their fried rice, not the little salad shrimps. Their crab rangoon is wonderful and my favorite item is shrimp in lobster sauce. Very good stuff.

For the "lost restaurants of Detroit" followers, this was where Lilly went when she sold the old Pekin Pavilion (the pagoda-shaped restaurant on Jeff @ Chene, now the Pizza Papalis strip mall.) She ran it for a while, then sold about a year ago to new folks.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 236
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Moys on Martier or Golden Chopsticks on Jefferson in S.C.S.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 400
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We went to the Golden Dragon tonight. It was a great meal and I enjoyed it very much.

Craggy
Username: Craggy

Post Number: 218
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wan Kow on Mack avenue just north of Vernier. Pretty good stuff.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3387
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lament the loss of one my favorite east side Chinese Restaurant.... the old Hoi Tin in the Riverhouse apartment complex between the Jeffersonian and Erma Henderson Park. The view of the waterfront, Belle Isle and the row of riverfront mansions next to the Manoogian Mansion was great! I miss Hoi Tin!

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 167
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

detroitstar: for takeout ive had good experience with danny chans in lafayette park. are in you lp or am i thinking of someone else ???
as far as eastside i like peking villa on harper between 8 and 9.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 401
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are correct, I am in Lafayette Park. I will have to give that a try soon!

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 421
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitstar, if you live in Lafayette Park, you are closer to the good Chinese restaurants in Windsor than you are to the mediocre ones on the far Eastside and Ste. Clair Shores.

Gistok

Post Number: 3391
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another great east side establishment is Pearl City at 13 Mile & Little Mack.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4707
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here we go agian with the Mack, Big Mack, and Little Mack. The Eastside is so confusing.

jjaba.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 654
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lol jjaba.

Neilr is right about the proximity of Windsor chinese restaurants to folks living downtown. A dash across the river for amazingly good chinese take out was common for downtown folks before 9/11. That benefit of downtown living has pretty much disappeared now due to the uncertainties about how long it might take to get through customs on any given night. The sharp increase in the tolls has become a disincentive as well.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 7302
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny Chan's is okay. Decent food at good prices. Our office orders delivery from them from time to time. They charge $3.00 total, regardless of the size of the order. Their food is akin to China House, China One, Dynasty, etc. Okay, but nothing special.

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 168
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba- don't forget greater mack !!!
:-)

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1491
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Itsjeff -- thanks for the tip on New Pekin, I'll have to give it a try. I've avoided the place up 'til now, since it looked sort of dumpy, and I figured it was in the same league as most of the other numerous mediocre Chinese places in the vicinity (Dynasty, etc).

I'm not sure I'd even give Danny Chan's an "okay" rating, despite their excellent storefront signage. I went out on a limb and tried the shrimp with lobster sauce there, and it was basically a bucket of flavorless brown gravy with a couple of tiny shrimps and not much else, ugh. I suppose if you stick to the more popular items such as General Tso they may be alright, though.

We actually like China House in the East Jefferson plaza the most out of the local ones, maybe because we've figured out what the good dishes are, plus it seems pretty clean and well run. It's nothing exceptional, though.

On the subject, does anyone know of a local chinese restaurant that has sesame noodles? San Fu in Ann Arbor used to have them... :-)

Itsjeff

Post Number: 7304
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dougw, maybe I was being a little too kind to Danny Chan's. Although my co-workers keep ordering from them. Probably because they're the only place that delivers. Any port in a storm, I guess. Also, avoid their chicken dishes. Their strips of chicken are tough as rocks.

You won't be disappointed with New Pekin.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4713
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Itsjeff, joke in Danny Chan's kitchen.

Ho, tell 'em it tastes like chicken.

jjaba, on the Far Westside.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1498
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as the far eastside goes, Golden Chopsticks in St Clair Shores is probably the best I've been to. It is too bad that it's more of a hassle to get to the Chinese restaurants in Windsor now, it's easier to make the drive out to SCS.

Saw this new article on Asian Village today... hopefully that will provide a good Chinese alternative.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1274
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will second the recommendation for Moy's. Very good.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4717
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe the Chinese restaurants in Windsor will give you a comp. tunnel pass and an identity card with proper USA password. All's you wanna do is eat good Chinese, not get into an Intl. mess.

jjaba, at the Take-out window in front of the glass, Detroit style.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

peking villa on Harper is great and if you dine in you get the choice of an extra meat

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 988
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know we all want so bad for there to be good chinese in our city. Make no mistake, I feel the same way...but so many people who post are frickin delusional. Most all the places mentioned here are absolute garbage chinese.
Just because these joints are within our immediate universe, we pretend to make them into something they ain't.
The only way these places stay in business is because of the people who convince themselves they like crap.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 422
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last evening I went to Wah Court in Windsor. We left Lafayette Park about 6:10 p.m. Surprisingly, there was no line at all for the bridge going over to Windsor. We ate at Wah Court and returned to downtown via the tunnel by 7:40. Again, there was no line, no delay.

The total lack of border traffic last night was a bit exceptional. Usually, when setting out for dinner in Windsor, we always have a "Plan B" (dinner in southwest Detroit or Dearborn) which we immediately put into effect if, as we are approaching the bridge exit from I75, we see that there is a big backup in the car lane. The truck lane is always backed up. That doesn't affect the car lane. We always return to Detroit via the tunnel. I always carry my passport when going to Windsor. Sometimes I am asked for it, sometimes not.

I pretty much agree with Eastside's assessment of our Chinese restaurant situation. My experience is that I can have a decent meal at some metro Chinese-American place, go back and have another decent meal. Then on a return visit, get served a really sub-standard dinner. And, frankly, my standards for Detroit-area Chinese restaurants are not all that high - I usually order almond chicken or some such dish. Then I'll go again and it will be simply terrible and I'll swear never to return.

That's when I return to another place where enough time has elapsed so that I've somewhat forgotten the bad food and my vow to never return and I remember the few decent meals I've had. So back again I go. And the whole process begins again.

My first experiences with Chinese food were with Chung King. We got the Chow Mein, with the canned, dry noodles. I remember really liking it. I remember thinking it was so much more sophisticated to get the cans with the vegetables in a separate can.

However, my tastes have changed. I know that when I want a consistently good variety of well-prepared Chinese food, I have go to Windsor.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 7316
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shin Shin's!!!

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 129
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree totally with Neil, Windsor offers a fabulous selection of first rate Chinese restaurants, I do not find the border an enormous problem if planned well considering the time we spend on freeways with no complaints. Also consider the 20 plus first class Italian restaurants in Windsor on Erie St. ( LaZingara, Spago, Nico, Mezzo, Tutto, Noi, to name a few) After a trip recently to NYC and Little Italy (Mulberry St) where the food was mediocre at best and very over priced I and numerous friends fully realize what a Gem Erie St is.
Links for border time waits are as follows:
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/gen eral/times/menu-e.html ( All crossings into Canada-real time)
http://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/index. asp (All crossings-into USA)

(Message edited by DetroitBill on January 03, 2007)

Mongo
Username: Mongo

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Golden Harvest in Warren. 12 mile rd west of VanDyke

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 646
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife and I went to Golden Harvest and they gave us menus in Chinese and the Maitre D' was the only one who could speak English. The most authentic Chinese restaurant that I have found in the Detroit area.

Ha_asfan
Username: Ha_asfan

Post Number: 85
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember the Szechuan restaurant next to Shin Shin? It was on the corner and called Yau Hing. Run by mom, dad, two daughters and one son. Thought to be the best, by far, of everyone else in town.

Gistok

Post Number: 3437
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 2:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL.... at Eastside.... so everything we like is garbage, eh?

Well then enlighten us..... where is this "good Chinese" that makes all of our Chinese suggestions seem like garbage??

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 671
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Yau Hing well. It was embarassingly inexpensive and far better than some linen tablecloth Chinese places I've been to in California and N.Y.C.

Windsor has a lot of dumpy and kind of dirty Chinese restaurants and carryouts just like Detroit. (Yau Hing was kind of threadbare but always kept clean.) The restaurants in both places seem to be run by recent Chinese immigrants. But invariably the Windsor establishments will create outstanding food while the Detroit places never rise above mediocrity. Why is this? What is the difference between the two groups of Chinese restaurants owners that produces such different results?

Ha_asfan

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swingline, I'm glad to know you remember Yau Hing. You are precisely right in stating that it was "threadbare". Their dishes were the best..one of the daughters married the guy who owns one of the more popular Oulette Ave. restaurants....can't recall the name. Do you think there are some home in the wall restaurants in Windsor as good as Yau Hing?

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2059
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I know we all want so bad for there to be good chinese in our city. Make no mistake, I feel the same way...but so many people who post are frickin delusional. Most all the places mentioned here are absolute garbage chinese.
Just because these joints are within our immediate universe, we pretend to make them into something they ain't.
The only way these places stay in business is because of the people who convince themselves they like crap.

Taking courses in realism, are we?

First you realize the chinese food sucks around here, then your realize your neighborhood is not really walkable, and finally you realize that you should not have to live with garbage, filth, crime, and shattered glass lining the street.

Quick, put the Detroit glasses back on, before you up and move...

(But I do miss it all, none the less)

Gistok

Post Number: 3440
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump...

Still waiting to hear Eastside tell us about good Chinese...

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2062
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will answer for Eastside:

(1) There is no good chinese on the eastside in the city
(2) Golden Chopsticks is decent to good and is as close (Windsor not included) as we can get over here to good Chinese
(3) Golden Harvest at 12 and Vandyke/Mound is by far the best Chinese on the"greater" East side
(4) Some good places on the west (orchard lake corridor)
(5) Everything else is, as Eastside put it, pretty much garbage

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2853
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lucky Dragon (Thai and Chinese food) at Chene Park on Jefferson.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2166
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a fairly recent addition to Chinese cuisine in SW Detroit, where the former El Cabrito was located (75xx Dix or so). They have an noon/afternoon buffet and one later.

[It's probably not very authentic Chinese, as their work staff speak Spanish and some Arabic.]

Ha_asfan

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is restaurant in Warren that is famous for their Dim Sum...Can someone tell me the name of that restaurant? Thanks

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 584
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha_asfan: Golden Harvest, mentioned above, has Dim Sum.

Here is one for the masses:
Which Chinese restaurant, anywhere in Metro Detroit or even Windsor, has the best wonton soup offering ?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.