Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Brawl in front of state theatre « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last Saturday night I was driving south on Woodward Avenue in Detroit and ended up stopped behind a car at a red light in front of the State theatre which had a long line of patrons ready to party. As I sat there waiting for the light to change I happened to glance over to the line and noticed a man with an angry expression on his face yelling at another man. Sure enough his fist of fury flew at the other combatant. Next thing I know there are six guys trading blows, with one gang quickly routing their opponents, one of whom fell in front of my car followed by three men kicking him into unconciousness. In the confusion I didn't think to wave the vehicle behind me to drive so I could back up and hurridly exit the scene so I sat there for what seemed like an eternity determined not to be pulled into the adolescent behavioural debacle perpretrated by men old enough to know better. One individual pounded on my hood while another banged on my window to and yelled for me not to drive forward.In the confusion and chaos I wasn't sure if the victim had recoverd or been pulled away from the street. Eventually he recoverd (still combative) as one of his friends tried to hold him back. At that point I was able to exit the scene

Terryh

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Situations like that are often used to bash the whole city of Detroit and its residents. In fairness I witnessed many at the scene trying to stop the disturbance. I seen fear and shock on the faces of the spectators and combatants. Personally, having grown up working class in rural communities and two years in blue collar Flint, I had witnessed much more brutality and coldheartedness in regards to individual and group altercations. In my eyes the fact that the brawlers were Black American didn't make the altercation seem more vicious than it was. Anyplace you have alcohol and hormones (particularly in younger crowds) the higher the likelyhood of some type of disturbance. If that disturbance had been shown on the nightly news it would have played into non residents fears and misconceptions of the city.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 368
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That’s typical of the State on Saturdays don’t be terribly shocked or surprised though that happens at A LOT of clubs even here in Lansing.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6109
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anytime Morons and liquor mix it's a bad scene.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 976
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

terryh, you state that "the brawlers were black american." you mention the race of the combatants, yet downplay the situation as something that could happen anywhere "alcohol and hormones" are in the mix. you state that you have "witnessed much more brutality and coldheartedness in regards to individual and group altercations."

your post sounds a bit xenophobic to me.

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 512
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sounds like a creative writing assignment to me.

Glad you're OK Terry, but this is kind of a pointless thread. And how do you know they were American? That's a bold assumption to make.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 127
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try hanging out in Windsor on a Saturday bar night. Your eyes will be opened. There you have groups of females going at each other also along with non strop brawls, Last month several went through a bar window on the main street. Sad comment on society period, people have no idea how to behave in public. It also doesn't help that the majority of these kids in Windsor are US 18-21 year olds clubbing for the night. Hotel Dieu Hospital Emergency (Windsor) is full of U.S. kids needing treatment for fight injuries. They generally skip on the medical bills also.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11068
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't believe that was the end of the fun outside the State that night. Around midnight or so there were multiple cop cars and an ambulance parked out front. Traffic was backed up all the way south bound to Campus Martius, not even moving an inch.

A few hours later, there were cops throughout the area behind Foxtown directed traffic out of downtown as if a baseball game was letting out. This seemed a bit unusual, especially considering it was around 2:30 am or later.

That being said, the State Theatre is probably by far the most likely to have a fight or shoot out in front of it. Avoid it like the plague on Saturday's, as it's "Altered State" that night...which I believe refers to their patrons mental conditions.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 269
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw two drunk white guys fighting in Greektown during the auto show last winter. Sh*t happens when you're in a major city.

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 735
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to hang out downtown on Saturday nights, not at the State, on a regular basis and seen the State erupt a couple of times while driving up woodward to head home around 2-2:30am. One time the cops came rolling up speeding along sidewalks to stop the brawl, the other time the cops and ambulances were just sitting there waiting for it. Very brutal brawls though. This issue has been discussed on the forums before. It may be searchable.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 136
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Anytime Morons and liquor mix it's a bad scene. - Aiw

agreed. i would add more, but that sums it up perfectly, so i won't ruin it.

Terryh

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True, I shouldn't have assumed they were all Americans. I guess the point is that many would let the situation heighten their and sub-concious fears of black Americans. Nothing I am proud of, but my own personal predjudice is that I would tend to believe that most of the violence in Windsor on weekends is perpetrated by Americans. I deal with the same anxieties about race as many other Americans. I frequent Tropical Hutt which has a mostly African immigrant crowd for a festive night of boogeying with amicable partiers. If the crowd was predominantly African Americans I might not always feel as welcome to be perfectly honest. I consider myself progressive but not hypersensitive and politically correct.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.