Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Lafer Building « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 145
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone provide information about the Lafer building? When I visited Detroit last summer, I saw it from a People Mover station, and thought it was really interesting. Today's picture du jour post mentioned that the building is going to be rehabbed. Does anyone have any information about that?

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 581
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope this helps

http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/lafer49.aspx

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6108
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cman...

This is the RFP the city issued back in 2000 or 2001...

Cman710

Post Number: 146
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Aiw and Milwaukee! I will read both those documents when I get a chance. They look very interesting. For some reason, when I saw the back of the building, I had not realized it was the back! That is probably because of the painted ads on the back, though I should have figured, given the fire escapes.

Any word on whether construction has begun?

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 790
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Construction started a few months ago.

Most of the exterior work is done. The facade hes been detailed, the back and sides if the building have been painted, the old rusty fire escape has been removed, and all the side and back windows have been removed.

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If that's the same building I think it is, I've had a friend who lived on one floor and been to crazy parties on some of the others. Cool building and with no elevator at the time a true pain to help move in/out of.

The floors at the time we're pretty cool (the fire escapes dangerous). I'd love to see them after some professional remodelling.

Cman710

Post Number: 147
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the update, Erikd. When I had seen the building in the summer, it struck me as a gritty survivor of what downtown must have looked like 15 years ago, when things were truly desolate. I am glad that there is progress being made and that more people will be living downtown.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 253
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks amazing today. For a second I couldn't even recognize the back because it looks so nice.

Cman710

Post Number: 149
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anyone could post a picture, that would be great.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 223
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The mural should have been restored.

Christos
Username: Christos

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't there a coffee shop on the ground floor at some point? Perhaps called Mahoghany (sp?)?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4984
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I take it they aren't going to put up a website like Model D reported back in June, then? Or, is it that I simply can't find it?

Krawlspace
Username: Krawlspace

Post Number: 284
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some photos I took this past summer can be found here.
It was originally a grocery store on the two lower floors. A slide between the floors allowed goods to be sent down easily. The double oven on the top floor was used to roast Lafer Brothers Coffee, for which the store was well known. The woman boxer poster was pasted inside a closet.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 990
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great pic's krawl! thanks for sharing.

Ewo
Username: Ewo

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I LOVE that bar!!!!

Cman710

Post Number: 153
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the pics! I think this building will be a great project. Let's hope it is done well!

Krawlspace

Post Number: 289
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The bar is actually in pieces right now and the owners are unsure if it will be used in that space. I know they were interested in selling it for around 4k.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who is the creepy dude in the door around pic 20? he'll give me nightmares tonight...

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 161
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

took me 3 times to find the guy in the door, kind of looked like uncle fester.
KrawlSpace, excellant pics. The bar was cool, I hope they didnt ruin it.

Krawlspace

Post Number: 290
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been likened to dear old Fester on occasion.
Image is none other than yours truly.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no offense intended Krawlspace but I don't want to see you coming out of any dark rooms when I am in an abandoned building someday....

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 978
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That bar is very sharp!

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 168
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the photos Krawlspace.

Hope they use the bar in the renovation.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4995
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When is the project scheduled for completion?

Diesel
Username: Diesel

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The building is about 50% complete, the drywall is being installed now and probably will be complete by mid-summer.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.