Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Thank you Stevie Y « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dave
Username: Dave

Post Number: 121
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great speech at number retirement. Thanks Steve for bringing the Wings back to greatness.
dave

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1834
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a thrill being able to watch it live from start to finish. Thank to FSN for carrying it. And thanks to the Ilitches and the Detroit Red Wings organization for making this a special night for both Steve and his family and teammates as well as the fans!!!!

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1227
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No thanks to the networks/league that didn't carry it nationally. Stuck in Chicago and couldn't watch.

Thats okay. Stevie probably prefers the fewer the better :-)

I still give a big thanks!

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 252
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His attitude and demeanor should be emulated by all pro athletes. A true class act.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 172
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerome, maybe someone will post it on Youtube. Perhaps the NHL will, as Stevie Y is not just a Detroit fan-favorite but one of most admirable athletes in the NHL over the past 10 years.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4188
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The epitome of class in all of sports. Never once did he accept any of the accolades heaped upon him. He talked about how he was just a part of something much larger- the team. For an acceptance speech, Stevie talked more about Bowman, the Ilitches and everyone around him!

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 130
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A class act, as always. I usually don't think much of professional athletes in general (too many, even if it is a small minority of players, are overpaid, self-centered crybabies that have no business being a role model for anyone) but Steve Yzerman is one that I will encourage my kids to look up to as a hero. Always a team player, always humble, always thankful to those who helped him get where he is, and always believing that the game is more important than any individual player. He is truly deserving of all the praise he has received and more, even if he doesn't think so. Thanks Stevie for giving us a team, and a captain, to be proud of in every way.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3396
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When we look at all the big egos in politics, in Hollywood, in major sports teams and even in journalism (Mitch Albom), it's refreshing to see someone who we can relate to, and can appreciate his humbleness. A true class act.

God bless you Stevie!!

Scottr

Post Number: 131
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the tribute video, steves speech, and the raising of the banner:

http://www.detroitredwings.com /multimedia/av/avWMPlayer.jsp? dr=5422&kj=3

just the raising of the banner:

http://www.detroitredwings.com /multimedia/av/avWMPlayer.jsp? dr=5430&kj=3

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2385
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few of my shots from last night. Sorry for the mediocre quality. The conditions were pushing the limits of my camera.
stevie1

stevie2

jersey

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2297
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was a classy tribute for a classy player. I was hoping that this celebration of Detroit hockey history would rekindle some fan enthusiasm, but alas, the arena was nearly half empty for the end of a close game between the two best teams in the league.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was so thrilled to watch that last night. He is a class act all around. Not only to mention the players he won championships with, but to mention the players who weren't there during those years. Guys like Probert, Gallant and Cheveldae. My girlfriend bought me "What it means to be a Red Wing" for Christmas and in the foreward, Yzerman said that his only regret was that Gerard Gallant wasn't there when they won the cup.

My second favorite sight of the night, however, had nothing to do with Yzerman. It was quite a sight to see Konstantinov walking again.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2386
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I stayed until the final buzzer of the game, I can't blame people for leaving early. Expecting people to stay through nearly 5 hours of entertainment is a little much. The game didn't start until 8:30. An hour after it's scheduled start time. It didn't finish until after 11:00. Many people have real lives where they have to work. Many wouldn't have been home before midnight if you Include the drive to the suburbs.

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 110
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe they could have scaled down the 2001 Space Odyssey theme and the evaporating dry ice banner cauldron to class it up while scaling down the time.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 405
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And ya'll laughed at me last year when I said they should name a street after the guy!

Seriously though, Yzerman is a great person. It has been an honor to be able to watch him play and in 20 years I hope we look back and understand how special he was for this entire region.

One_shot
Username: One_shot

Post Number: 311
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Way to go Stevie. I watched it and got chills a few times. The sight of Konstantinov walking out on the ice was just plain awesome. I NEVER expected that last night. Stevie is an awesome player and man. I was glad he payed tribute to what Scotty did for the team also. Like he said he had it coming and never really got it.

(Message edited by One Shot on January 03, 2007)

Tigersfan9
Username: Tigersfan9

Post Number: 83
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite line in the speech was about him and his family being "very proud to live in Detroit." And we're proud to have him.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 406
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I began crying when Konstantinov walked out of the tunnel. The lady next to me asked "why are you crying." When I explained that as a young hockey player he inspired me to play smart, strong defense and that it hurt to see my hero go through all this, she had the nerve to say "it's just a sport, get over it."

I think there is a lesson to be learned in watching athletes of the moral fiber of Valdi and Yzerman. These men are/were paid millions yet they work just as hard as you and I every single day. They are what athletes should be all about.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4189
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It really was an inspiring moment to see Vladi come out of the tunnel like that. At first I was wondering why the likes of Larry Murphy, Steve Duschesne, & Bob Probert weren't walking down the aisle way but then when I saw Vladimir Konstantinov come out in the walker, it made complete sense.

When I also think about some of the other players (like Stevie had mentioned in his speech) of his era, it really did make Red Wings history all come back again. Guys like Gallant, Klima, Cheveldae, Duguay, Chiasson, and the list can go on & on all the way to the majority of the present day Wings.

Amazing.

Beadgrl
Username: Beadgrl

Post Number: 96
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I enjoyed last night's pregame but i couldn't help but notice how wooden and uncomfortable the Yzerman family looked. Could someone please crack a smile or at least clap? I know Steve is very modest and this most likely carried on to his kids. But come on! This is a huge night for Yzerman and a huge night for the city. Could they at least look pleased during the ceremony?

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9116
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He is one of the reasons I was a Wing's fan. When I was a little kid I remember him being drafted and my brother saying that he was gong to be someone spectacular to watch. He was right!

Thanks for the entertainment Steve, and thanks for the Gold!

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The thing is that Stevie worked very hard to keep his personal life and his family out of the media in Detroit. In terms of media attention, he didn't "take his work home". The ONLY times you saw or heard anything about them was when the team won a Cup. I think it wasn't that they weren't pleased. It was because they were not used to being the center of attention because Yzerman kept his work and his family so separate for so long.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9117
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beadgrl, he is very humble which is why he wasn't hooting and hollering. I personally don't think he thought he deserved that much attention. He is an incredible person both on and off the ice.

Beadgrl

Post Number: 97
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think i would have been turned off if Yzerman had been whooping it...like some sports stars would. But at least smile and acknowledge the praise though.

I know he and apparently his family are very private people but there is a fine line between being modest and being rude. It just seemed to me that the Yzerman ladies thought they had better place to be last night. Crack a smile and clap! It's a celebration not a funeral!

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3499
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a TOTAL CLASS ACT!

Right out of the tradition of Gordie Howe. We have been honored by both his greatness and grace.

Scottr

Post Number: 133
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

beadgrl, they're kids. they're probably bored, and yeah, they probably would rather be someplace else. kids are like that.

his wife just looked to me as if she was uncomfortable with the attention, just like steve, except she doesn't have the experience of dealing with it like he does. give them a break.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1019
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my mom knows them personally and has commented on the extreme shyness of Stevie and his wife

Beadgrl

Post Number: 98
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok whatever...i was looking for something that apparently they couldn't or wouldn't express. I have nothing against the family nor have i met them....by the looks of last night, i'd rather not.

Rant off.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone else hoping for the announcement of the steve yzerman/little caesars arena? Anyway it was a great pregame.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1283
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dude, they're little girls. Remember what it was like to be a little girl? For all we know they were all fighting with each other before they had to go on the ice...

Scottr

Post Number: 134
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mdoyle, actually, i thought the same thing when Ilitch was talking. But unless he was naming it Yzerman Arena, that would have taken away from the reason for the ceremony. And I'd be willing to bet Steve would fight that, being as modest as he is. He certainly is deserving of that honor, though.

Susanarosa - being a father of two girls, I had to laugh at that. You're probably right!

I was a little afraid when they started talking about GM and Chevy, thinking they were throwing some advertisement in there. But then they gave him the Tahoe, so that was cool. At first when he talked about 'reviving downtown', etc, I thought he was talking about Compuware and Peter Karmanos, since his Hurricanes currently have the Stanley cup. It was nice to see that they brought that out too, since one of the images in my mind when i think of yzerman is of him hoisting the cup.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.