Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Time to run the Ford family out of town? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1018
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally I am sick of this joke of a family, between their inept car company which has pretty much cost everyone their jobs, and their garbage football team who they seem to think is good, these folks need to go. I'm sick of them frollicking around this area with all of their money made from the blood of honest hard working Detroiters. I know some of the fam personally and am sick of watching them bail it out to Florida every year when it is cold while the people they laid off due to their inept decisions contemplates if they can pay their heat bill. I hate the Fords, leave town, sell the lions!!

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2051
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's better for the area's economy to have them here part-time (or full-time) than having other Ford's management/owners packing up and leaving Metro Detroit entirely--which could easily happen.

Besides, it's really none of your damn business. But, you can bitch if it makes you **feel** better.

Must be the start of a slow news week ahead if this thread picks up--now that another Ford is almost buried...

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 126
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I have to agree about the Lions and that situation I can't agree that the Fords are nothing but a bunch of bloodsuckers. Ofcourse they have made tons of money, they are a corporate business, but last time I checked hundred of thousands of area workers have lived very good lives and prospered very nicely from the companies success. Without it they wouldn't have the homes and financial status they have today. Detroit would be a far poorer city without Fords. It also doesn't take alot of research to see that the Fords have contributed millions and millions of dollars to various charitable organizations in this city over the years. This money has helped thousands of poor Detroiters who otherwise would have had no food or clothing. Fords also continues to underwrite numerous charitable events whose proceeds go to community needs. To rag on them I think is extremely unfair, Now as for the Lions, that commercial venture does need a drastic overhall, If the fans are that disgusted , its very simple, they need to stay away.

(Message edited by DetroitBill on January 03, 2007)

(Message edited by DetroitBill on January 03, 2007)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 173
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"their inept car company which has pretty much cost everyone their jobs"

They probably provided more jobs than jobs they 'cost' the area.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 5599
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never, in the entire history of mankind, has any industry employed so many, improved the lifestyles of so many and made them rich (yes, including the lowest paid workers), invested so much, for so long a period of time, as the auto industry.

Detroit and Michigan have been the largest benefactors.

Now that this senior citizen, born and raised in Detroit, has become feeble with age and as a result of a few lifestyle choices, Chitaku, in all his wisdom, says:

"Take your money and get out."

I think this might be one reason why, as a business owner, I might not choose Detroit over other cities.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2470
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats Chitaku, you're currently in first place for "Dumbest Post of 2007".

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7314
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Worse than that. He makes Karl look reasonable.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3504
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn and that is phenomenal ItsJeff

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2295
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm awfully critical of Ford and how they have walked out on the City itself in more ways than one, but Charlottepaul said it right...they provided those people those jobs in the first place. I will not question Ford's modern business model, which requires them to move manufacturing jobs out of a union state (while cutting their payrolls anyway thanks to technology/automation). There are some things FoMoCo does that I find stupid (i.e. almost all of their marketing), but outsourcing only proves them smarter these days.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4144
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think he'll hold that spot for a good long while. As far as I can see the only member of the Ford family that deserves criticism is Bill, Senior and that is for his poor management of a football team. Bill Jr. may not go down as one of Ford Motor Company's great CEOs but he was smart enough to realize the situation required a special kind of leadership and he stepped aside for Alan Mulally. That decision may be as important as any Don Peterson ever made at Ford in 1980's.

Aside from running a company that lifted large numbers of uneducated, unskilled workers into the middle class, the Ford family have left Detroit with an impressive cultural and built legacy. Greenfield Village, Ford Field, Ford Auditorium, and Campus Martius (Edsel Ford was the point man) to name a few.

For once I kind of agree with Karl. The rabble-rouser, ignoramus attitudes from Detroit's petty little Montagnards doesn't do this city any favors.

(Message edited by Jelk on January 03, 2007)

Detroitbill

Post Number: 128
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree totally Jelk, we should be thankful for what we have been given

Christos
Username: Christos

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While while the Ford family have had a history in the city, thier riches were not made without criticism.

This current instalment of the dynasty however, is HORRIBLE. Look at the FoMoCo under Bill Ford Jr., and the Lions performance under William Clay Ford. They were born with silver spoons in thier mouths and got where they were because of money and names they inherited- not because of thier skills.

This latest move by William Clay Ford is just sad. He has a GM that is clearly NOT performing, but keeps him on cause they are buddies. Then to add insult to injury, they hire the Rod's son-in-law. If thats how they run the Lions, you think that might show how things are done at the FoMoCo?

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 202
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku, where do you work? How many Ford workers, past and present have gone to your business and provided you with a living due to their patronage. Who is John Galt?

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 336
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ditto, Itsjeff.

Jelk

Post Number: 4146
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We get it William Clay Ford, Sr can't run a football team. That's why his brother locked him out of the car company. No person, no company, no dynasty is without its faults but seriously on a whole you really think Detroit would be better off without the Ford family than with it? Even just the fourth generation folks? Bill Ford, Jr built Ford Field. Edsel Ford built Campus Martius.

As for the problems with the car company you might as well run the Reuther family out of town as well since the overriding problem with the domestic auto industry is legacy costs. Three generations of pensions and health care is expensive. Toyota, et all don't yet have those problems. Personally I will take the auto industry as it stands right now, trying to figure out how to deal with the legacy costs, over a metro Detroit that didn't have an industry that lifted so many uneducated, unskilled workers into the middle class over several generations.

The problems with Ford (and GM and DCX as well) aren't the fault of one family. They are the burden of the entire region. We've lived off the fat of the land for nearly 70 years and the bill just came do.

I'm all for being critical of the domestic auto industry's mis-steps but lets not brand the Fords as robber barons because William Clay Ford, Sr can't run a football team.

(Message edited by Jelk on January 03, 2007)

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3506
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed Jelk, while there is fault within the company itself we have to look at the positives and negatives, and separate what FoMoCo is responsible for from what its not before we get ready to tar and feather them...

Now Bill Ford Sr. yeah, he needs a nice azz kicking. 50 years under his 'guidance' and only one appearance in the playoffs? That is a whole generation of football fans that have no idea what it must feel like to not be the joke of the NFL.

And then (recently) for Matt Millen to feel so secure to say that he is not going anywhere, that he is not going to quit? Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. That is was Bill Ford has done for almost half a century...

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2052
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My being a transplanted Packers fan doesn't bother me in the least about any problems with the Lions. I rather like Kitna as does Bret Favre and many others.

As long as the Lions always lose at least twice a year.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7817
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm just thankful we've been given Jelk back.

As for the Fords...ever since they opened the Starbucks at the World Headquarters I've had little use for Bill, jr. For a while he was useful to me showing the poor Ford Type-A execudroids what it was like to be human (again).

You should've seen 'em all lined up nice and neat-like, and totally bug-eyed that they bought THEIR coffee at the same place as their boss. Some, even the same drink. Don't get me started on the condiment worship. Then, as if in frozen space, I would break the silence and acknowledge him.

The shockwaves got even greater after I saved him from that rabid Lions fan the morning after the college draft...because he would make it a point to say hello, even when I didn't see him. That's when it got all Twilight Zone.

In retrospect, that MUST have been a corporate mobius morning for most of them. They spend all their time fighting to get past the next rung on the corporate ladder, never once realizing that meant beating another human being. (if they have any conscience left)

Then, one morning, they see the person on the top rung...the fellow with his name on the buildings, the stationery, their paycheck, the CAR...buying coffee at the same place they have to stand in line at every morning.

So now I wonder what was behind those deer eyes in line...carefully repressed hatred?! Pure lust? Economic, of course, until his assistant showed up.

I thought Bill, jr. was a fine fellow, best Ford I ever crossed paths with, easily. His uncle, or is it father, Henry Ford II's attorney doesn't like him so he's GOT to be doing something right.

Anything that pisses an older generation off must be unique and good, not unlike pissing Karl off.

It's easy to judge life actions using fuzzy logic.

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would guess that Ford cares more than most companies do - I look at my friends who still have jobs connected to Ford - They drive a Mustang for free, free gas, insurance, and car washes. Even my friends who work for Diesel have a better life because of it. I cannot imagine what my life would be like if I wasn't making that car payment ($391.52) or that insurance payment ($171.00) or paying for gas at whatever it is a gallon....every month! Forget about the car washes. I know if we have those additional funds, there would be a vacation more than once every 4 or 5 years, and I don't mean a fancy one. Most people who still are connected to the auto industry have it easier - if they are still employed - than the average person who is not. You should thank your lucky stars - and tell the people who are driving those Toyotas and shopping at WalMart- instead of telling the Fords anything. He is as much a product of his life as we are - I am sure he never thought he would be in the pickle he is in now either! Hell, blame BUSH, that is what I do - for everything, and I mean everything. Think about it!

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 253
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am sick of every one complaining about the Fords. I look at it this way: If you don't like the Lions don't go to the games and don't watch them on TV. If you don't like their cars, don't buy them. If you don't like working for them, quit if you think you can get something better. The Fords are not elected officials. They are business people. We have a choice to do business with them or not. They are under no obligation to please us, but of course it would be in their best interest to do so.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1657
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Now Bill Ford Sr. yeah, he needs a nice azz kicking. 50 years under his 'guidance' and only one appearance in the playoffs?

Better check your statements again.

quote:

Then to add insult to injury, they hire the Rod's son-in-law.

this statement says all anyone needs to know about your understand and knowledge of football.

(Message edited by _sj_ on January 03, 2007)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3399
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku, you really stepped in the doggie doo this time. I too have to... gulp.... wince.... agree with Karl, Jelk, et al.

I may be pissed off about Ford THE COMPANY leaving the city of Detroit (aka the former VA Memorial Building and taking their clients out of the Comerica Tower)... BUT the Ford Family is really not even on the radar when it comes to criticism.

Just look at what the late Walter Buhl Ford and his late wife Josephine have done for the College for Creative Studies.

And as already mentioned Edsel Ford II has helped immensely with Campus Martius and the Riverfront Conservacy.

Arthur Brush Ford (along with Nancy Reuther) have saved the Lawrence Fisher Mansion (on the east riverfront) from certain ruin.

William Clay Ford Jr. has most certainly talked his father into moving downtown.

William Clay Ford Sr. has donated a lot of money to the Sports Medicine Center (a very attractive building) in New Center.

Edsel Ford I (along with his wifes cousin Robert H. Tannahill) have give enormous amounts of treasures to the DIA (as well as commissioning the Diego Rivera Murals).

And lest we forger Henry Ford II created the Renaissance Center.

And of course, Henry Ford I gave Michigan the wonderful legacy of Greenfield Village, Henry Ford Museum, and Henry Ford Hospital Center.

Without the Fords, Detroit would be a much lesser city.

God Bless the Ford Family!!!

Detroitbill

Post Number: 130
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Wash_Man, considering the Fords are independent business people I think they have acted very responsibly to the Detroit community over the years.Ofcourse its in their best interests to do so but they were wise enough to. Ford still equals Detroit in many external circles. We should actually thank them , not rat on them.. As for the football team, JUST STAY HOME
maybe someone will get the message, I would think in these times that many of the fans in the stands could put the 70--100.00 to better use in their lives.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 135
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just a side note/clarification, gistok - Josephine Clay Ford was the daughter of Edsel, she married Walter Buhl Ford, who was no relation to the family. (well, until he married into it).

I agree with you completely. As much as we blame the auto companies for the region's demise, they were even more responsible for our rise to prominence in the first place, and they have left a legacy that will not soon be forgotten. It is much the same here in Flint - while it hurts that GM has pulled out of the area, without them we wouldn't have our cultural center, or pretty much anything for that matter. Even if they are gone completely, those things are here to stay, giving us treasures that even cities larger than our own would love to have.

Jelk

Post Number: 4147
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Arthur Brush Ford (along with Nancy Reuther) have saved the Lawrence Fisher Mansion (on the east riverfront) from certain ruin.

I'm not sure we can count that as a plus in the Ford column considering said preservation ensured more people would be bothered by these yo-yos...

yoyos

Schoolcraft
Username: Schoolcraft

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Changes in caps
Personally I am sick of this joke of a family, between their inept PIZZA company which has pretty much CAUSED everyone HEARTBURN, and their garbage BASEBALL team THAT LOST THE WORLD SERIES who they seem to think is good, these folks need to go. I'm sick of them frollicking around this area with all of their money made from the blood of honest hard working Detroiters. I know some of the fam personally and am sick of watching them bail it out to LIVONIA every year when it is cold while the people they SELL CRAZY BREAD TO due to their inept decisions contemplates if they can pay their heat bill. I hate the ILLITCHES, leave town, sell the TIGERS!!

Since everyone seems to hate the Illitches for whatever reason. I just changed a few words...but it doesnt translate either.

Schoolcraft

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

P.S.I try not to attack anyone in these forums but my father started on the line and put 39 years in at Ford...so PISS OFF and Happy New Year
Shitaku

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4465
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone want to add Matty Maroun to this discussion?

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 5601
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Schoolcraft = brilliant

Schoolcraft

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks. Im your huckleberry.

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 553
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks. Im your huckleberry.

That just sounds creepy.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3400
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scottr, yup I knew that Walter married into the family by marrying Dodie (Josephine) Ford. The Ford men of the 3rd generation (her brothers) were Henry II, Benson Sr. and William Clay Sr.

Jelk, I don't think that Alfred Brush Ford was ever doing any of the panhandling... probably just check writing... But if it wasn't for the Hare Krishna, that building might not exist today.

Schoolcraft

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HUCKLEBERRY
[Q] From Cristlyn Randazzo: “What is the origin of the expression ‘I’ll be your Huckleberry’? What exactly does it mean?”

[A] What it means is easy enough. To be one’s huckleberry—usually as the phrase I’m your huckleberry—is to be just the right person for a given job, or a willing executor of some commission.

Jelk

Post Number: 4151
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well he should have written more checks so his followers wouldn't have to go cluttering up the sidewalks panhandling and singing their songs. Krishnas make soap box street preacher types seem tolerable.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 904
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have it on good authority that Bill Ford, Jr. would like Millen gone.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 342
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we should torch one Ford car a day until Millen's gone :-)

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 95
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Bill Ford were to take over, we probably would see good changes in the Lions very soon. Chitaku, my dad once worked at Ford and did pretty well. Next time you see a police car, look at the hubcaps. Those dinky things were his creation. And it helped cut costs there drastically. Never question a Ford employee, former employee, or the Ford family. I can guarantee you that without the Fords, this city would be a lot worse off. The Ren Cen never wouldve come about, Dearborn would become a lot worse, and Detroit wouldn't exist the way it does know(Ren Cen again). Don't ever question the integrity of a Ford.

So Bitchaku, what else will come up next? Will it be, why are the Illitches really bad owners? That is about as dumb as a suggestion as this whole thread was. Thanks for starting it.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 98
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yvette, that is the best suggestion I've heard yet.

Schoolcraft

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its the curse.

http://lions.mostvaluablenetwo rk.com/general/the-curse-of-bo bby-layne/

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4193
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hoo boy, Chitaku... I think your disgust for the Lions lack of success blinded you when you started this thread. I don't know if even a freshly built Ford F-150 has the towing capacity to pull your foot out of your mouth on this one.

And believe me, I feel your pain & angst about the Lions too. I fervently hope that they can change that too but to rip the Ford family for just one aspect of their business portfolio and demand they get ridden out of town on a rail's a bit off. From all of the knowledgable postings here, there seem to be MUCH more about the Ford family than you or most people even knew about.

Criticize the Lions on a thread= fair
Criticize the Ford Motor Company on a thread= fair
A generalized Ford family hatefest= not cool

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1022
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah i guess you're right smogboy i was wrong, i was just hearing about people i knew loosing their jobs from ford and then my mom telling me how my cousin is going to the ford retreat in Florida with her cousins (the Benson Fords) and it got me kind of steamed. Sorry

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4472
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku'

#1 It's losing not loosing.

#2 Glad you're willing to accept being wrong.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3500
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A family comes,
A family goes,
Ask the Strohs.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4196
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But wasn't the Stroh family bought out of their brewery??

And just on the philanthropic end of things, I sure as heck would NOT want to see the Ford family go.

Frank_c
Username: Frank_c

Post Number: 888
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That joke of a family has given 100's of thousands a great way of life and a chance to better themselves through work and higher education for all, from the line to the board room.

The only thing I wish the Ford family is good luck and a restoration of very good business.

Hope they start thinking long term instead of next month and what is truly good for America, I think there is a big pay off in that kind of thinking.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.