Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » George W. Young Post Office « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4989
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know the architectural history of the George W. Young/Central Post Office at 1401 West Fort Street? For instance, when was it completed? Is the shorter section a modern recladding? Who was the architect...? I know nothing about it despite it being very prominent at the edge of the western skyline, if even in the worst way.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 514
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

young

George Young???

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1024
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was built in 1959 under the Eisenhower administration.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4999
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the year, Ray. Does it include both sections of the building? I ask because it looks as if these two parts were built during different times.

Anyone else have anything additional info on this one?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1027
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That I couldn't say, Lmich.....I started work at the Vernor precinct in 1959 and it was under construction then...I'm quite sure it opened before the end of that year, or, perhaps, early 1960. Memory recalls it as looking as one structure, so if part of it looks different, I suspect it is.

Aschar76
Username: Aschar76

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Ed
George Young his band and two fine youngettes worked the nightclub Jester's Court on W.Warren.
Where Aschar76 worked his first job as busboy/dishwasher.

I even got to work the spot light during the show. Thanks for the memory jog

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 515
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aschar76,
Thanks for remembering!

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 474
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, 1959 is correct; the plaque from Eisenhower's dedication of the building is still there, right at the customer entrance. Way back when, the mail train would pull right through the building to make its drop-offs. If you circle 'round the joint, you can still see the tracks, over on the west side of the building (next to the banana place.) A new facility is being built in Pontiac, so the GWY's days as a Large Mail Processing Plant may-- or may not-- be numbered.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6118
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as architects go, I would start with Harley, Ellington & Day. They snagged many large and important commissions around that time frame.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.