Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Christmas tree trash? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Innovator
Username: Innovator

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is there a place i can take my tree or maybe a time when i can leave it outside my home? this is in the CoD.

Thedeadofnight
Username: Thedeadofnight

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 2:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not try recycling your tree! Use your Christmas tree as mulch. Remove the branches with a handsaw, and layer them over perennial beds in a crisscrossing fashion. This will let air circulate while preventing the frozen ground from thawing and refreezing repeatedly, thus protecting young plants and their roots.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 196
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 3:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is from the City's web site.

quote:

DPW will conduct a holiday tree collection in 2007 during the first two weeks of January. Holiday trees must be placed near your Courville container and will be picked up on the same day as your scheduled weekly trash collection. Residents who set out holiday trees more than 24 hours before their scheduled pick-up will be subject to a fine.

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 118
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 3:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why are people still buying natural trees for Christmas and then wondering what to do with them? Nothing personal here. But there needs to be an education on composting, as Thedeadofnight suggested, if folks are going to go natural for Christmas.

Chop up the tree and toss it into a compost pile in your backyard with other organic debris. Check out composting on the Internet. The Sierra Club might help.

Beavis1981
Username: Beavis1981

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i usually prop it up against the tree with the bird feeders it provides shelter from wind and hawks for small birds and squirrels that eat seeds off the ground then about march-april I burn it with the rest of yard debris that occurs during the winter months but I live 30 miles outside detroit

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 978
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

note: the city is collecting "holiday" trees. if yours is a Christmas tree, you're out of luck.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.