Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Girl shot at NW High School-more bad news « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 263
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.wxyz.com/wxyz/nw_lo cal_news/article/0,2132,WXYZ_1 5924_5256754,00.html

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 758
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay 2007

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1035
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WTF is going on lately?

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3841
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yay, looks like we're gunning for 715!

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2028
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good thing it wasn't downtown, that could've really stopped the momentum.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9123
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When you don't have a dollar, shoot someone. If you don't get "respect", shoot someone. It is keeping it real!

Abso-fucking-lutely pathetic!

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 409
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so sick and tired of seeing this crap. It's time the neighborhoods step up and take some action. Don't give me crap about the police needing to do so and so...I want to see people having some effing pride in their neighborhoods. I'm getting very tired of all this innocent victim shit.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11085
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, look at all the bad news in Chicago today. That city must be in a downward spiral eh?

Man killed in grocery store robbery.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/ news/custom/newsroom/chi-07010 4grocery-fatal,1,4349817.story ?coll=chi-news-hed

Trio charged in hair salon stick-up
(picked up with 2 gun? Thought guns are illegal in Chicago)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/ news/custom/newsroom/chi-07010 4salon-arrests,1,7893392.story ?coll=chi-news-hed

Mother charged in stabbing daughters boyfriend to death.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/ news/local/chicago/chi-0701040 083jan04,1,5937248.story?coll= chi-newslocalchicago-hed

Man jumps from window after being stabbed 4 times.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/ news/local/chicago/chi-0701040 092jan04,1,6002784.story?coll= chi-newslocalchicago-hed

Record year for bank robberies
http://www.chicagotribune.com/ news/local/chi-070104bank-robs ,1,1538335.story?coll=chi-news -hed

Reward increased in Christmas slaying case.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/ news/custom/newsroom/chi-07010 4christmas-slaying,1,6672416.s tory?coll=chi-news-hed

Burger King slaying suspect pleads not guilty.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/ news/custom/newsroom/chi-07010 4bkslaying,1,4922439.story?col l=chi-news-hed

Man sentenced to 50 years for kidnap and rape.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/ news/custom/newsroom/chi-07010 4baller,1,1387984.story?coll=c hi-news-hed

Suburban drug sting nets 180 arrests.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/ news/custom/newsroom/chi-07010 4drug-sting,1,5337489.story?co ll=chi-newsroom-hed

THAT WAS JUST TODAY!!!

Seriously, can you imagine if all that hit the papers in one of our locals in a single day? Talk about sending the population into a panic. Here, it takes just a few serious crimes in a short time and people start speculating that a lot of people will stop visiting Detroit. Do people say the same in Chicago when they read today's paper?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 180
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed! What's up with all the murder/shooting posts lately? I don't recall that in 2006 there was one posted for every murder (700+) on DetroitYES...

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9126
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sport just because it happens in Chicago or butt fuck Idaho doesn't mean that it is o.k. in Detroit. The city isn't as rosy as it pretends to be (including the "re-investments of late).

The difference is Chigaco has more population, more tourists, more employment...it isn't even close to the same as Detroit.

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 184

Actually, I am visiting Chicago this weekend...Party on, Garth.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 410

I dont give a damn about chicago...This is Detroit. This is home, and people are dying in our backyards and basements and playgrounds. This shit has got to stop.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3522
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sport look i understand completely what you are sayin for real...

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 841
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to clarify, the girl wasn't shot AT NW High, she was shot as she walked BY it. At 4:00 all the kids should be well on their way home. This wasn't something that happened at school, it's something that happened NEAR a school.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel bad for all the students who have potential for intellectual- emotional stability but can't reach their true potential because of all the stress; negativity; and ignorance they face in their schools. It is always easier for the person on the outside to say "just say no" or "be the bigger person and ignore it" when they don't have to deal with the stress, strain and anxiety many inner city students feel on a daily basis.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 131
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SS, this is detroityes.com, not your blog, and not a website about how much crime is in Chicago.

Detroit has many more problems than Chicago. That is reality. I am sorry if your little world is so clouded.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 411
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terryh, you hit it perfectly. Many of the students that I work with have told me that they feel as if the system is built against them- which it really is.

We would see a much higher graduation rate if crime was decreased in this city. The students I work with feel that they can change their community, but with the lack of support from their communities there is no incentive for them to work hard.

The ONLY way this city will survive is when people start taking pride in their neighborhoods and making them more safe for everyone. This can be done in many ways without bitching about the # of police on the streets and taking control via violence.

Terryh

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitstar I attended two different tough working class schools in Flint having moved with my family from a smaller somewhat rural community. Hormones; the pressure to act and be tough; racial antagonisms; hostile immature disrespectful authority figures; lack of employment oppurtunities (I was fortunate to have a Flint Journal route and a small clientele of landscape customers)materialism; are all challenges that many good students encounter.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 843
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The students at my school (most of them) have begun to make changes for the better for their community and have begun to get more involved in the community.

I recently gave an assignment (and went on an hour long diatribe) about how it is THEIR responsibility to take care of their community (after all, they are the future citizens, parents, and community leaders). Anyway, the assignment was to work in groups and identify one thing that needed changing in the community. We listed those on the board and each group chose one to analyze and come up with solutions. The issues we dealt with included: homelessness, violence, education, etc. The kids did a wonderful job coming up with solutions to the problems. One group wants to spearhead a peer mediation team. Another group wants to volunteer for peer tutoring. I am in the process of trying to help these kids get their projects going (this is something the kids want to do and wasn't part of the assignment, they just needed to identify a problem and work together to come up with a solution to the problem). It was, in all reality, a cooperative learning assignment for identifying issues and problem solving, with an essay attached to it.

All in all, I was pretty impressed with how far they took this assignment. They are serious about making this work. Yes, it's a small drop in the bucket, but at least it's a drop and it's in the bucket. The kids have ownership of this and I think that might make a difference in getting others to join. I'd like to see more of the community involved. The kids feel like so many people are against them...as was reinforced when they planted flowers at school and someone in the community dug them all up and took them.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 412
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Teacher, that is a great thing going there. Sounds like you have some good students.

How far do you think these ideas make it outside of the school environment when they are with friends and other peer influences?

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 84
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Suburban drug sting nets 180 arrests.

That one says "Suburban" so it doesn't count.

Oh, and 6 of the 9 articles posted are about crimes that have been committed ranging from a week ago, to throughout 2006, and one referring to 2005.

We are concerned about what has happened in the past 3 days in OUR city.

Try again.

(Message edited by dds on January 04, 2007)

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 844
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some kids were talking about it after class in the hallway but I'm not sure how they act at home or out with friends. I'd love to think my kids were doing the right thing outside the classroom (but I am realistic).

I did get students involved with Target's Start Something program a few years back (same ideas as the assignment mentioned with a few perks) and they carried their projects all year and into the next year. The one that sticks out in my mind is going to the middle and elementary schools to talk about peer pressure and violence. A group of my students went to several middle/ elementary schools and did workshops with the kids after school about high school life, how to deal with peer pressure, and talked about different ways of handling situations with other kids, as an alternative to fighting. The kids who were in the workshops in MS remembered my kids and told me how much they liked the program (they told me this when they came to High School and had me as a teacher).

Can't answer what you asked, but maybe what I did say helped to convey that our kids are good kids.

Terryh

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher do you find that many parents are involved with and concerned about their childs education?

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 614
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please come and visit Supersport's new website at www.ChicagoCrimeYES.com

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 845
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terryh: I don't find too many parents are involved at all. They usually only come to the school if their child was wronged in some way (cell phone taken, child calls them to defend them against others, explain why their child couldn't get a project done that was assigned 2 months ago, etc). I see, on average, 5-10 parents on Parent Teacher Conference days. I have 275 kids in my classes.

I have juniors and seniors, so I don't expect to see many parents. I'd rather not see them if they are only going to make excuses for thier kid and promote laziness and lack of work ethic. I had one parent come to my door wanting to know why I gave their child a zero on a research paper. I explained it was plagiarized (clearly copied and pasted, down to the URL at the bottom of the page). They screamed and yelled that THEY had personally watched the child "write" the paper. I calmly told them they had witnessed their child copy and paste from the internet. They didn't like the fact that I had called their child (and them) out on something and would NOT accept another paper (because I had droned on for 2 months about not copying from the internet and how to properly cite sources).

I stopped calling homes a long time ago because I was getting yelled at by parents for "bothering them" with school stuff at home. I make myself available for parents and kids via phone, email and Blackboard. Some are involved and some aren't. I stopped tracking anyone down, they know how to contact me (yes, they have my home numbers). I am actively involved in their child's education and will stay after school (and come in early to help kids. The kids realize that they need to take an active role in their education. Many do and I can tell who they are the first week of school. I teach at the high school level, though, and just remembering when I was in HS, parents weren't all that involved in the school. What happens at home, though...I can't really say. I know which kids have parents who keep on them about school and which kids whose parents really don't care.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1995
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There has been a serious full moon out these last three days. Have you seen it? I have found that my students act a little nutty whenever there has been a full moon.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 847
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce: I didn't notice the full moon until my students began acting weird. This morning I looked up and there it was, and it explained everything. Always happens, kids acting weird when a full moon rises!

Wash_man

Post Number: 265
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think a start would be to have more teachers like Detroitteacher. Hats off to you for putting forth so much effort. If only the parents would do the same by encouraging their kids. Some of the responsibility should be on the kids. I don't ever remember my parents looking at my homework,helping me select classes or even asking what I was taking. They didn't even ask me what I was going to college for until they dropped me off at MSU. I think I turned out OK, but I wish they would have pushed me harder.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11086
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you don't wanna use Chicago, pick most any other major city in the U.S. Almost every one saw a significant rise in murders this past year. Everybody seems to believe our problems are exclusive to Detroit, and that other cities don't have the same troubles.

As for Detroit having more problems than Chicago, I disagree. Detroit simply doesn't have the population that Chicago has, Chicago has WAY more problems. Most notably a serious gang problem that once again appears on the rise.

I'm sticking to my theory that when you add population to a society, watering down the crimes per capita, all of the sudden the same number of crimes, or often even more crimes, are acceptable.

So, everybody who is sick of the crime and murders, what exactly is your plan? I found out today that the Detroit Police volunteer unit is still actually functioning. For more information contact:

Detroit City - Police Department, Recruiting
2110 Park Avenue
Detroit, MI 48201
313-596-2660

I wonder if the reason that Chicago's population is about 2 million more than Detroit's isn't because it's people are much more proactive. Instead of looking in from the outside and bitching and complaining about their city's problems, people have moved to the city and made a difference. Lots of armchair bitchers in complainers in this region.

Philbert
Username: Philbert

Post Number: 239
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Watering down the crime numbers, come on. What don't you understand about per capita?

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 760
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your last comment is true, Sport. Regarding the rise in crime in Chicago, people are not happy about it. People are not excusing it. A few months ago, there was a string of sexual assaults in the Wrigleyville/Lakeview neighborhood. What was the response? Nearly every business in the entire neighborhood had a "Have you seen this man?" poster in the window. Residents kept their eyes open, took to the streets.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5373
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where are to the ghettos of Detroit. Your hopes and dreams would be taken away by a punch, a drug, a knife and a gun. More brothers killing brothers and brothers killing sisters. That would be the year in Detroit.

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 1076
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Watering down the crime numbers, come on. What don't you understand about per capita?

It's obvious that he understands the concept of "per capita" and is questioning its use instead of mindlessly throwing it around.

For example, if you took an area of Chicago with similar demographics to an area of Detroit, what do you think the difference in per capita murder rate would be? We don't know, because the numbers are only reported based on city boundaries.

Wash_man

Post Number: 268
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who really cares about Detroit vs. Chicago? Per capita, blah, blah, blah. Ask the families of the 400 people murdered last year if they care about it. One murder is one to many.

Drm

Post Number: 1077
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

One murder is one to many.

Agreed. But I can guarantee you that the murder problem will never be solved by treating it as a Detroit-only problem.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 414
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will begin to care about murder in Chicago when there is no more murder in Detroit. I do not accept that "murder happens in other cities" or "Per capita Detroit is safer" as a legitimate argument. It is nothing but an excuse to cover the fact that violent crime in this city is out of control.

Drm

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It is nothing but an excuse to cover the fact that violent crime in this city is out of control.

No, it's an attempt to put the problem into perspective so that it can be analyzed. If there were no murders anywhere else then your logic would make sense. But, that's not the case. The reality is that there are far too many places in this country with far too many murders. It's important to realize that other cities, with far more resources at their disposal (e.g., Chicago and New York) have been unable to keep their citizens from murdering each other. This tells us that it's not a Detroit problem, but a national problem.

That statement does not make murder OK, or excuse terrorism or any other nonsense. It simply acknowledges the reality - violent crime is out of control in many parts of this country, including Detroit.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 416
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, so murder exists everywhere, now lets do something to end it.

There is no reason that murder should be as high as it is here. There needs to be more concern from the residents to change. It cant just be in word, but in taking active responsibility.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 85
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I found out today that the Detroit Police volunteer unit is still actually functioning. For more information contact:

Detroit City - Police Department, Recruiting
2110 Park Avenue
Detroit, MI 48201
313-596-2660

Seems you have a lot of time on your hands, now, and you already own a piece. Have at it!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5384
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Well, Detroit has welcome the new with a BANG!

MORE BROTHERS KILLING BROTHERS

The African American race is a threaten species.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 173
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay Supersport!

Posting the Volunteer contact information is awesome. It seems that everyone here would jump on that and take action to help.
Do you think anyone here will call and try to make a difference?
Is the volunteer police unit a good thing?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.