Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Freep.com new design « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tiorted
Username: Tiorted

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the http://www.freep.com/ looks good, I hope they kept all old articles

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 132
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ugh. Dont like it at all

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4197
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It almost looks like MSN.com

Admittedly even though I know it's online, I still prefer it looking a bit closer to an actual newspaper complete with mastheads, bold headlines, columnists, etc..

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5003
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's going the route of so many other online newspapers, and that's unfortunate. I agree with Smogboy, too. I, too, would like them to stick closely to actually making it look like a print newspaper.

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1468
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate it

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 144
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 2:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

personally, i like it. i think it's cleaner and less cluttered, and i feel i can find what i'm looking for faster. Print does not translate well to the web, so i'm glad to see it updated.

i appear to be in the minority though.

Toledolaw05
Username: Toledolaw05

Post Number: 70
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate it - hope the news doesn't change as well.

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 235
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is there only one headline in a 12 point font size?

The rest of the story headlines, if you can even figure out what is what, are tiny and hard to read.

I will give them some credit though, the pages are cleaner, its more organized, and the navigation options are superior to the old site.

Unfortunately all of these changes even though they are good, make the whole thing appear bland and generic. I don't need fancy graphics and flashing lights but this is really sterile. There is no identity or attempt at branding.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll take a guess.

Aren't a lot of these websites being redesigned to include more advertising space, provide more multi-media, etc.?

Just a guess.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2088
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Why is there only one headline in a 12 point font size?"

Modern HTML is not coded to a particular point size. Whatever size is there is a function of the screen size plus whatever size is chosen the the browser's View menu (Text Size). If you want it larger, bump the size up in the browser, although this increases all font sizes--not just the headings.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on January 05, 2007)

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1433
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no sir i don't like it

Amy_p
Username: Amy_p

Post Number: 743
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like a high school's site. Thumb's down.

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 237
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We must be crashing their site or their having problems because now its not even loading properly.

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 267
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My first impression was I hate it. Very sterile. It looks like table of contents instead of a newspaper.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like it a lot.

It is much easier to navigate. I hated the routine of looking up and down the column on the left to find the section you wanted.

With regards to the Sports section, I think this may expose how thin a lot of the coverage in the Freep has become since it is very easy to see the latest article on the topic you're interested in. On the other hand though, you can now see when an offseason Tiger or High School Sports article is written much easier.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"My first impression was I hate it. Very sterile. It looks like table of contents instead of a newspaper."

Gianni,

That is why I like it. It's like browsing through the hard copy and only reading the articles you're interested in. Previously, it took a great deal of hunt and click in order to make sure that you saw all of the articles that appeared in the hard copy.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 2030
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't like it but we'll all get used to it.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2089
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The new format is faster to read and quicker to load (for any slow-speed connection) than the older format. This should save them BW and money, too.

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 169
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First impression is not good because I see Mitch Albom's mug right away. Not a fan of that particular writer.

Ad space on the right is pretty heavy handed. I guess these papers are trying to make some money.

I've seen worse.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4198
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it just me or do some of the articles load slower than before. Sure the main page opens up lickedty split but the articles are slow as can be.

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 528
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the comments on freep.com are pretty entertaining...

quote:

Did Matt Millen design this? Looks like his work. Small, ineffective, lacking, extra work to get results, etc.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4210
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Millen had designed it, he would've fired a handful of editors by now, drafted three newspaper boys that couldn't deliver, and watch subscription drop drastically.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 345
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sucks.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1033
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm just glad it's a no charge site. All too many newspapers today require a fee for access. As long as the freebie freep continues, I don't care HOW they set it up. :-)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 190
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Need to have a great photo at the top of the page to make that site look acceptable.

Cynknight
Username: Cynknight

Post Number: 79
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After reading everyone's comments, I went back and took another look. It's not as bad as I thought. I still don't like it, but as someone else commented, we'll get used to it - and it's still free, thank goodness. (Wonder how long the free part will last?)

I just don't like everything changing all the time.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 579
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the site, it's easier and faster to read.
They should make their logo larger though.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 80
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like it was designed by a UofM alum or fan (hmmmmmmmm!).

Certainly not by a MSU alum or fan. ;-)

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 747
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It allows for a little easier access to news stories that the Detroit News site. I like to scan the headlines and click on a story of interest without having to open up a whole section. For example, I can read the headlines on www.seattlepi.com without having to open the individual sections. Freep is getting closer to that.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 278
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate change...!...313

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.