Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Currents Bar No More « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 639
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This morning, I noticed some construction works at Currents and I thought it might reopen. On the way home, I noticed that the awning with Currents on it has been removed and the Current Ad painted on the side of the building had been sand blasted off. The COMING SOON sign was still in the window. Looks like a name change is forth coming.
Any updates?

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 164
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That place has had about hundred lives since it was Armando's in the early 1980s. It must be jinxed.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1999
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The location is really bad right now. Sandwiched between a huge parking lot and having Jefferson Avenue essentially behind it, an establishment at that location needs a lot of word of mouth to do business. The casual passer-by coming from the ballgame is not going to know it's there. Also, after the work crowd has left for the day, there is little residential in the area to sustain evening activity.

Hopefully, when there is some residential in that area, a restaurant or bar at that location will be successful.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1885
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 3:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, could one more restaurant/bar close downtown?

The openings are not keeping up with the closings.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11092
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 3:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, once the Asian Village opens, it will create a "village" atmosphere, and all will be well...right?

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1886
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL!!!!!

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 492
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went there once, nice atmosphere, nice staff, Warm beer from the tap though. Not Good!

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 653
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's too bad. I went there the first week they opened. Very nice place inside and great food (I tried some of everything). That sucks. Once the area further east gets development deals, the whole area will be habitable again.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4510
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Going to take a lot to make that a viable area.

If there is not day-to-day business there, nothing will survive. Signage, promotion, and a large amount of chatter will be required to make a go of an extremely difficult area to get to by no matter the means.

Took a ride around the area tonight, my only thought was "Damn, how would you able to promote an area that is so difficult to get to?"

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 641
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My colleagues from work often stop to have drink. I'm sure there is strong RenCen crowd there after work. I have a kid to pick up at daycare so it is tough for me stop by after work.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2031
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The openings are not keeping up with the closings.

Don't worry, the new Mezzanine Ultra Lounge will help offset it.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 929
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dial4, the openings are clearly far outstripping the closings by a huge margin over the past 5 years or so......not sure exactly what you mean.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11103
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I have a kid to pick up at daycare so it is tough for me stop by after work.

I'm sure it's a bit easier once the second beer has gone down though, right? :-)

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 707
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess the owner's got pulled under by the Currents.

[rim-shot]

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.