Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Free Press Comments Boards » Free Press Comments « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zug
Username: Zug

Post Number: 163
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just have to vent a little, and see what some of you think.

My "favorite" local paper is the Detroit Free Press, and I browse the online version every day. I also occasionally go to the Discuss Detroit forum to get the opinions from people concerned with the region. However, I CAN'T STAND how the Free Press now includes comments after each article. Granted, I am able to successfully ignore the comments most of the time, but it just feels very unprofessional to me.

Whenever an article mentions crime in Detroit I am subjected to seeing anti-Detroit BS or racist rants right under the article. I am subjected to idiotic conspiracy theories. Unreliable "insider" information. Or persistent posts about firing Matt Millen in inappropriate articles (i.e. James Brown's death). The Free Press isn't a forum like Detroit Yes, so I want professionally written articles, not unscreened opinions by anonymous posters.

I understand the "cool" thing now is interactivity and blogging, but it ends up getting me irritated whenever I read the comments (or inadvertently catch a few words in a comments section that i wanted to ignore). I guess you can say it makes the writers accountable, but it just seems unnecessary.

Am I the only one bothered by the comments?

(Well, at least you don't need to register to read articles like many other cities' newspapers sites.)

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 360
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You should read the posts before submitting your own. There is already a discussion thread on this...

Zug
Username: Zug

Post Number: 164
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do read the posts, and rarely start a thread. I just missed the thread this time. Thanks.

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/89455.html?1168046578

Hugo8100
Username: Hugo8100

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem is that they are so unmoderated. Freep might be in a difficult position, as they don't want to be accused of squelching free speech. Too much moderation risks turning the forum into an echo chamber representing the moderators biases and opinions, so there's a fine line to walk. They do need to do something, though. I don't even bother to read the comments anymore because any reasonable comment is drowned out by all the racial bickering.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.