Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Conan O'Brian slams Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 275
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After too much caffeine yesterday, I couldn't get to sleep and was watching Conan O'Brian. He brought up Spirit Airlines $.05 air fares. He said "Did you hear you can fly from New York to Detroit for five cents? And for an extra ten cents they'll ship your body back".
Not funny. This fuels the national opinion people have of Detroit. Not watching him again

(Message edited by wash_man on January 06, 2007)

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 128
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What can we expect? It keeps on coming. And this time, unfortunately, his viewing base isn't in Detroit, unlike Jimmy Kimmel when he pulled his stunt last year. So we can't boycott him and make a factor.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 437
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a JOKE!!! If you are that thin-skinned, you need to wrap yourself up in a blanket and isolate yourself from all stimuli until you have withrdawn from that caffiene overdose.

Scs100

Post Number: 129
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike, this is an age where the average American has an IQ of about 0. We don't need any more of this. If my memory serves me, this is exactly what Jimmy Kimmel did, and it infuriated everyone. And don't forget Playboy either.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3854
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He slams other places as well.

Shave
Username: Shave

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're going to allow someone with that hair and that face get that far under your skin?

Scs100

Post Number: 131
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't care that much, since I don't have cable, but it gets really annoying after a while. And what I said about American stupidity is true so it could be taken the wrong way.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 2049
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jokes often play on stereotypes ... this was one of them. Get over it.

Scs100

Post Number: 136
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Give me a few days to sleep in and I guarantee that I will get over it very fast. :-)

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 614
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Conan is an East coast snob but he is also a funny guy. I like Conan but if ever tells a joke about Milwaukee I will track him down and kill him with my bear hands! :-)

Scs100

Post Number: 138
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL! Now that is worthy of SNL. A skit of a crazed person tracking down a celebrity over a joke about his city.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 2052
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I like Conan but if ever tells a joke about Milwaukee I will track him down and kill him with my bear hands!

You've got claws, Milwaukee?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2314
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

damn, Conan was my favorite late night guy. His humor is often brash, though, so a handful of people and places every night are probably offended.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 170
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love bear claws! Yummmmmm!

A_franklins_son
Username: A_franklins_son

Post Number: 68
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Masturbating Bear is my idol!

Conan rules, I'm not mad at him.

The_nerd
Username: The_nerd

Post Number: 363
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we need a "Detroit Minister of Information" to deal with anti-Detroit slurs. ;) If we did I'm sure he or she would have immediately issued a press statement noting that "Detroit does not have murders, crime or corruption. They're all lies propogated by the invading Livonians and their supporters in Warren"

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 172
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And they can send out the Detroit promotional t-shirts that read:

Detroit:
Where the sun always shines,
and friendly people say "hello"!

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 175
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While we should be sensitive to the image of Detroit as dangerous, that only highlights the need for us to make things safer. I have said for some time that if Detroit could make a significant cut against crime, that would really make a great headline, and then you would see changes in people's perceptions. That DID happen in New York City after the crime rate went down dramatically. It took several years, and people still sometimes make comments or jokes about NYC being unsafe, but people's perceptions generally have changed. But that is because there HAS been change. When Detroit becomes safer, perceptions will change.

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 72
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Theres a big difference between Conan making a little joke like that at 1am and Kimmel going out of his way to bash Detroit right before an NBA finals broadcast. I want our city's image to be as best as it can around the country but this joke is basically nothing.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 174
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Face it; Detroit is a bad-ass city.

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 453
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Face it; we have real problems here, and Conan really isn't one of them.

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 41
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea! Let's kill Conan for his joke! That'll show the world this is a safe place!

I saw the same broadcast. I laughed. It's a joke, get over yourselves.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 377
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 3:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spirit has 5 cent air fares???

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 1079
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 5:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

That DID happen in New York City after the crime rate went down dramatically. It took several years, and people still sometimes make comments or jokes about NYC being unsafe, but people's perceptions generally have changed. But that is because there HAS been change. When Detroit becomes safer, perceptions will change.

Right, because NYC no longer has a problem with street crime. Only a moron would believe that. The fact is that during periods when Detroit's crime dropped perceptions did not change. The Detroit News did a feature back around 2000 showing that many neighborhoods in Detroit are safer than the suburbs and that the majority of crime happened in only a few neighborhoods. Did that change perceptions about Detroit? It seems as though people, both inside and outside of our area, want Detroit to be unsafe so they have a place to look at, shake their heads, and think "at least where I'm living isn't as bad as Detroit."

As far as Conan's "joke", it isn't funny but, unfortunately, that's the kind of crap that passes for humor to the ignorant masses nowadays. That goes for most of his stuff. Give me Stephen Colbert over that garbage anytime.

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 46
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 6:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Double standard! It`s okay for Detroiters to wear T-Shirts that say "Detroit-Where the weak ...."but when an outsider tells a similar joke it isn`t acceptable.Reminds me of growing up, my big brother could beat me up but god help anyone in the neighborhood who would pick on me!

BTW, nice new layout! Here`s to the next ten and beyond!

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 84
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes we need to make fun of ourselves to maintain level-headedness (no, not in a Herman Munster sense). I bought a T-shirt two years ago at a Detroit-area mall that said "I'm so tough, I vacation in Detroit". I like'd it because it is playing with people's perception of Detroit, not taking it seriously.

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 65
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Nerd, I think your right. Detroit definetly NEEDS PR! But (and Im no fan of Conans)Hell they make fun of cities all the time. Cleveland for instance! LOL I dont know of any city they make fun of more. But yes Detroit despirately needs a GOOD public relations person! I dont know that much about city council up there since I've left but I would surely think/hope they already have one? Anyone know about this?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 202
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A good PR person for Detroit...

Jimmy Kimmel?

Aschar76
Username: Aschar76

Post Number: 62
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wrap a turd in a fancy bow you still have a turd.

Conan/Kimmel/Leno/Letterman jokers

Until the Mayor and the Police make a loud statement at law enforcement are going to take what every mean necessary to make the city safe.

The National image will not Change

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11097
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"Did you hear you can fly from New York to Detroit for five cents? And for an extra ten cents they'll ship your body back".

What makes him so confident that they'd find the body?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2315
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well if this was a recent joke perhaps he was playing off the news of 4 homicides in a week. Generally, he plays off of current events, and while these murders have less to do with the city and its safety situation than some other ones, the news cannot be made good.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2129
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Four homicides per week is low for Detroit. Yet, Madison--a city of approximately 1/4 million only has about 5 murders a year, mostly drug-related.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 652
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is about on par with the Jimmy Kimmel pop a couple years ago. I say we riot until we ger a resolve!

Schoolcraft
Username: Schoolcraft

Post Number: 69
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say we hound him to come and do show live in Detroit...on Spirit Airlines...and if dies while here we'll offer to refund the cost of said ticket and body shipping back.
Seriously,Just hound him till he does a show here
"live". Call him a sissy and a Sanders Cream Puff until he does.Have Kwame(Or Lowell) do the invite.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 617
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Mike, this is an age where the average American has an IQ of about 0.

As demonstrated by many of the posts on this forum as of late.

Schoolcraft
Username: Schoolcraft

Post Number: 70
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"May you drown in a cesspool of your own nuerosis"

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 173
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Except that, you know, Kimmel is a hack. I wouldn't even put him in the same class as Carson-freaking-Daly.

Oh, and Triumph the Insult Comic Dog was one of the best skits on Conan.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1083
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 6:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AWESOME! That's a great joke, and, when we take ourselves so seriously, that's a bad sign.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4742
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The recent Fiesta Bowl was Boise State over Oklahoma.

Conan said the game should have been named,

"Where nobody wants to live, Bowl."

So he does take on many places. We thought he'd never notice.

jjaba on the Westside.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 286
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New York had something like 15 murders on New Year's Day alone.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 179
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think that's correct. What is your source? Do you mean New York state, or the city? Either way, fifteen sounds like way too many.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 287
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city. I'm actually not certain on the number of people who actually died (there were casualties) but there were at least 15 people shot on that day alone.

Lightbulb
Username: Lightbulb

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty funny.

Conan is a comedic genius.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 278
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I started this thread,but after reading the posts I realize maybe I was over reacting. If he didn't make fun of so many cities, it would be a bigger issue. However, it still feels like when you're a kid and you think it's ok to tease the fat kids because everyone is doing it. Doesn't make it right.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1036
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's impossible to tell a joke without offending somebody.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 403
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every thing and every body gets impaled on Conan's humor sword.

Just because these comedians make fun George W. all the time doesn't mean he's not one of the greatest presidents ever.

Same with cities.

Scs100

Post Number: 159
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tru dat.

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can`t be serious.

Fightdetroit
Username: Fightdetroit

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Conan is the greatest late show host ever!

If Conan didn't say things that were controversial, he wouldn't be on TV.

Monahan568
Username: Monahan568

Post Number: 158
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hahaha thats funny

and not as bad as letterman's "iraq - saddam = detroit"

(Message edited by monahan568 on January 09, 2007)

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4744
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dave Letterman:

There's a woman, 111 yrs. old, oldest baseball fan in USA. She goes to every Red Sox game but by August she always fades.

Now that's some funny schitt.

jjaba, in Sec. 24, Briggs Stadium.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 450
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a guy who is not joking around in his assessment of Detroit. If you think it is an unfair assessment, take your umbrage out on him, not Conan.

Final thoughts on Detroit auto show

quote:

.... Downtown Detroit, based on the number of people on the sidewalk, remains a ghost town, surrounded by decaying warehouses and windowless, abandoned factories. Yet right now, the Motor City's fittingly the center of the auto world again, playing host to what's still a first-class show.
Ron Amadon is an auto writer and morning news anchor on the MarketWatch Radio Network.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 207
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After too much caffeine yesterday, I couldn't get to sleep and was watching Conan O'Brian. He brought up Spirit Airlines $.05 air fares. He said "Did you hear you can fly from New York to Detroit for five cents? And for an extra ten cents they'll ship your body back".
Not funny. This fuels the national opinion people have of Detroit. Not watching him again

And for an extra 10 cents, the TV station can find a funny comedian. Why not Atlanta or St. Louis?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dear Mr Amadon,

My name is ^&*%^%$$%, I am a 24 year old male and I live in Downtown Detroit. I was raised in the suburbs like most white kids in this area. However I have moved to the once scary Detroit with my praise from my parents the same ones who moved me out of this city when I was young. I felt that your assesment of Downtown was a bit weak and lacking of any true fact. Downtown was for 0ver 30 years decaying with little promise. In the past 6 years we Detroiters have done everything in our power to bring it back to it's glory. On any given night I can look out my window and see people waling in the streets. At any time I can walk around and go people watching.Even during the night when folks are supposed to be scared. I would also like to point out that there are no abandoned auto plants in the Downtown area which is a blotch on your journalistic integrity. I feel after an uplifting article about a possible return for GM, you felt you needed to slam Detroit just like many of your journalistic counterparts do. We are hard working people in Detroit, and we do our best to make our city shine despite our poor economy and our inept local government. We would appreciate it if you could at least get your facts right when making comments about our town.

Thank you,
my name

p.s. I am about to WALK to our beautiful new YMCA here in Gorgeous Downtown Detroit.

my letter to Ron

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 249
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Downtown Detroit, based on the number of people on the sidewalk, remains a ghost town, surrounded by decaying warehouses and windowless, abandoned factories.

Pretty accurate, except downtown is mostly empty office buildings. He probably saw the empty factories on the drive in off of the highway, as there are many of them that you cannot miss.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 101
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dear Mr. Chitaku,

Get a life.

Thank You,
My Name

Dds

Post Number: 102
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

by the way:

quote:

I would also like to point out that there are no abandoned auto plants in the Downtown area which is a blotch on your journalistic integrity.

quote:

We would appreciate it if you could at least get your facts right when making comments about our town.

Would somebody please point out to me where good ol' Ron said *anything* about abandoned "auto plants?"

We would appreciate it if you could at least get your facts straight when making comments about articles.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1055
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

go to hell dds

Dds

Post Number: 103
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no problem. my pleasure.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.