Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » New Michigan license plate « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1277
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just saw one of the new white standard Michigan plates today. Anyone else seen one? Opinions?

(I liked the old blue one better.)

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 724
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 3:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Old blue" graced every car that I owned during my years living in Detroit, so it'll always be a piece of nostalgia for me.

While I thought the previous alternative to the blue plate was atrocious, I like the new designs.

I couldn't help but notice that the "Spectacular Peninsulas" plate shares a few design elements with our plates here in New York.

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 438
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder where the yearly tabs will go...will they cover the city...the trees...or part of "peninsulas"?

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 2068
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread regarding the new plate was pretty funny:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/76017/78225.html

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 84
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will this be Lowell's new plate?

Det yes

Fury13

Post Number: 1278
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 7:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Talk about spectacular penises notwithstanding, I was referring to the new standard white plate pictured above. Pretty bland, and inferior to the old Lake Superior blue plate, if you ask me.

No reflective background on that blue plate? Awwww. Just DEAL with it, coppers.

And including "www.Michigan.gov" at the bottom of the new plate is so passe. What? The state has an Internet site? Gee whiz! Wow!

Including the state's Web site address might have been pushing the envelope in 1996 or so, but these days everyone's on the Internet using search engines like Google, and it's easy to find any site you're looking for. "www.Michigan.gov" would be anyone's best educated guess anyway.

"Great Lakes" at the bottom of the plate as a slogan (or "Water Wonderland," which was used back in the '60s) would have been just fine.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How 'bout this slogan, Fury? (Apologies to Yaktown!)
plate

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1241
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed. "Great Lakes" should have been left.
While I don't live in michigan, I would have taken the old blue over the Mackinac, but i think I'll take spectacular peninsulas over the new standard issue. Yuck.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 587
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1039
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would love to see that one on the back of an Escalade, Thnk2mch! :-)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3415
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... and then there's Wisconsin's license plate... who's motto should be "Smell My Dairy Air"... :-)

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is still the best damn one:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/76017/78246.jpg

Fmrdtwn
Username: Fmrdtwn

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WW4FOOD,
its getting that way!

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1267
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is that sharp edged building in the middle of the Detroit skyline on the New York-like plate?

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1311
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two big reasons they switched from Old Blue to the new white ones. #1: white background with blue letters are easier for law enforcement to read from a distance. And #2: this helps weed out people who are using expired plates with fake tabs. They are forced to get a new plate.

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 198
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are some strange things going on with the latest series of license plates. Since the state adopted the latest series of numbers, three letters and four digits (AAA NNNN), there have been inconsistencies with the format. This goes for the old blue plate and the new white plate.

You will see plates with the numbers and digits mashed together (AAANNNN), others have a gap (AAA NNNN).

Some of the plates with the gap have a smaller and boxier font.

On top of that, sometimes it appears the 2 and the Z are in a different font than the other characters of the same plate.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming....

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2353
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1953, I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure they melded together the skylines of Detroit and Grand Rapids, which is just stupid.

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 199
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buildings are:
State Capitol Building in Lansing
Renaissance Center in Detroit
Alticor Building in Grand Rapids
The Genessee Towers in Flint
http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0, 1607,7-127-1640-149152--,00.ht ml

I could have sworn that was Joe's Bar in Alpena to the left of the Ren Cen.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1483
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hate the new plate, like crash-nyc said, pretty damn close to the NYS plate...which sucks because I was happy to get that ugly plate off of my car when i moved here

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 834
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did some completely non-scientific and biased observations the other night, and the Lake Superior Blue plate is just as easy to read, if not easier, than the newer ones. Really, it is! The real problem is with dumbasses that let layers of dirt cover the plates so you can't read them no matter what type they are.

It's interesting that the font on the blue plate has been in use since circa 1942. I always liked its beefy, no-nonsense look which seemed appropriate to the state. The newer font is lame, but not as lame as putting the website name on the plate.

From
http://www.sos.state.mi.us/history/autoshow/l_plates/images/1942-43b.gif

Burnsie

Post Number: 835
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I should have clarified that the font used for "MICHIGAN" (not the big alphanumeric font) hadn't changed since '42.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 182
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish they had used the mott foundation building for flint rather than genesee towers - especially since there is talk of tearing that vacant eyesore down. Besides that, which one is it? none of them really look like it, unless it's one of those short block looking buildings. Not a very good representation.

I also wonder why they used a completely different font for 'www.Michigan.gov' than they use on their website. it's lame anyways, a decade too late. should have kept 'Great Lakes'

Fury13

Post Number: 1308
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ro_resident: When the Secretary of State first went to three letters and four numbers on the blue license plate, circa 2005, a seven-digit die set was used, so there was no room for a space between the letters and numbers. I believe that it was somewhere in the AFP letter-combination sequence that the plates changed to an eight-digit die set (narrower letters/numbers) with a more squared-off look. The eight-digit die set was retained for the new standard white plate and allows longer personalizations as well as a space between the letters and numbers. The blue plate's letter sequence got as far as AJS or so, and the earliest letter sequence I've seen on the new white plate is BCX. The latest one I've seen is BGG.

All sorts of national license plate info at http://www.licenseplates.cc/.

Fury13

Post Number: 1309
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another thing: the new white plate has some sort of hologram built into it, presumably for security or anti-counterfeit purposes (hmmm, wonder if it's some sort of tracking device for use by the cops?).

Burnsie

Post Number: 836
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scottr-- In the plate, Genesee Towers is supposed to be the building with the penthouse, immediately left of the hole.

I ventured into Genesee Towers with a friend several times during summer 2001, when only a couple of tenants were left. Most floors were vacant, and there were abandoned cars on the top level of the parking structure. On floor 10, there were still nameplates for NBD employees and various trash & junk strewn around. A stuffy, disagreeable smell was settling in. God knows what the place looks like inside now.

The last tenant moved out some time ago. Most of the time, the only lights visible in the building are the red aircraft light (I remember when it was a searchlight!) and some lights by the lobby door. Late last summer, I was driving by the building and heard loud music coming out of an open window! The slumlord that owns it maintains that the city of Flint holds a personal vendetta against him.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 183
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah i figured that, but it looks more like one woodward to me - either the penthouse is too big, or the building's too narrow for it to be genesee towers. but i guess expecting some semblance of accuracy is too much.

personally, i don't blame the city if they do have a personal vendetta against him. everything i've heard about the building from the past few years sounds exactly like you described. he appears to be making no attempt to return the building to a usable space.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have a Superior Blue veteran plate. i got it in 1992 when i separated...

i know they will be sending me a new blue on white plate with that neato Michigan slogan "www.Michigan.gov" but im wondering if it will be the same letter/number combination. ive had it for 14-1/2 years now, and i like it...

david

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.