Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Homicides down 50% in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11098
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that the first week is outta the way, it appears that Detroit had 4 homicides during the first week. At this pace the city would finish the year with 208 murders, nearly half what the total was this year. Will this news make the headlines in tomorrow's paper? I doubt it.

The papers will wait until the city is a few murders above average, wait for that week when there is a spike in murders, then report that the city is on track for 600+ murders this year and how the end of the world is near. There is a Conan O'Brian joke in there somewhere I'm sure.

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 617
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To be honest it was 4 murders on one week in January. In July 4 murders a day will be low. Don't worry as long as the economy is bad in Detroit you'll stay around 400 murders a year.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5013
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sport, you're hilarious.

Milwaukee, he's being cheeky.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 5701
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First we learn that the Spirit of Detroit is falling apart - now murders are down. Folks, we really need to work together to keep up appearances!

Now where is that gun......

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5393
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Homicides are down. HAH!! While more BROTHERS KILLING BROTHERS.

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 124
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was the 2006 homicide total for Detroit, 384?

Wasn't 1974 the worst with over 700?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8126
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HOMICIDE from 94-05
94 - 541
95 - 475
96 - 428
97 - 469
98 - 430
99 - 415
00 - 369
01 - 395
02 - 402
03 - 366
04 - 384

I believe that 2005 was around 370. Last year was around 400-410 but I never heard the final count. I have the numbers dating back many years but it is on a disc I don't currently have with me.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 144
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

408 was the final count that i heard for 2006.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5017
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, 2006 is supposed to be just over 400. And, we must keep in account the constant falling population. When you put all of that in the equation, the city really hasn't seen much of a drop (if any at all) since quite a few years ago.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1243
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... noticed 2 things.

94-97, The DEA and FBI had the city and the drug trade on lockdown. As is they are now since they stopped alot of the canadian garbage from comming in. Interesting correlation with the level of drug enforcement and the spike in murders...

Its simple economics. Everybody knows that Detroit is a illegal drug mecca, which works just like any basic economic structure. Supply gets stricter.. prices go up.. more competition enters the market.. existing suppliers become more efficiant (hence murders) and competition becomes more fierce for market share (hence murders).

Legalize and control illicit substances, and you will be able to control the murder rate to crack heads looking for rocks, nutcases, and sociopaths.. all of which is the nature of the beast in any large population. The nature of the drug economy however is what is fuking this city so hardcore. Your never going to convince some 13 yo kid to spend 80grand he doesnt have on college... when the only guy on the block that is driving an escelade moves coke all day.

Interesting as well that legalization and control is the only solution we HAVENT tried...

Remember how well prohibition worked... shit it only bankrolled the mafia...

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5021
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alexei, you hit it right on the head. You could cut the murder rate in half (if not even more than that) by legalization and control. BTW, very intelligent observation and synopsis.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2147
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Detroit, you could get murdered because of your shoes or clothing--both of which were legal, the last time I checked...

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 440
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most murders are just criminals shooting each other up as you all know.

If 99% of those murders were criminals, then Detroit has 400 less drug dealers on the streets this year.

Thats another way to look at it.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2148
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually it's fewer not less drug dealers, but you got the right idea.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5022
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livenois, do you know how many killings are related to drugs? Do you know how many people are being killed in crimes of passion? Well, let me tell you, quite a bit fewer than are being killed because of the drug trade. You attack what you can first. There are easy solutions to a large number of these murders that could this rate down. You're stupid little quips in every thread are wearing thin.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2149
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know everything, and you will surely tell us. To you, everything is easy. All we need to do is follow your advice.

And the bad guys will passionately also take your advice.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5023
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 6:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't give a damn if you agree with me or not, or whether anyone else does, but you're a predictable, pessimistic contrarian and antagonist (for their own sakes, as you can't honestly believe half of the things you type) more content and comfortable in offer irrelevent and down-right foolish quips, than taking the time to offer thoughtful commentary. Either that or you're completely incapable of, or unwilling to, actually objectively debate. You're a one-trick-poney with a tired game. Perhaps, you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I hope you can prove me and other's wrong. Your constant and deliberate pessmissm says to me that you must be putting on a show here, and use this as your way get your jollies off of perpetual disagreement, conflict, and negetivity. You seem like the type of guy that gets his kicks off of drowing a litterful of newborn kittens in a bathtub, or stealing candy from a baby. Perhaps, this board is not for you. This is a place where people with interest in Detroit come to learn and be taught, there is no room for people that already have their mind completely made up that nothing can ever work, here. If there ever was such a definition of a troll, your are it.

(Message edited by lmichigan on January 09, 2007)

Innovator
Username: Innovator

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

long time lurker..

i'm seconding lmichigan.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2036
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 440
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 11:28 pm:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
Most murders are just criminals shooting each other up as you all know.

If 99% of those murders were criminals, then Detroit has 400 less drug dealers on the streets this year.

Thats another way to look at it.

You know I used to think that way as well, until the senseless murder of 2 very innocent people that I know happened happened recently.

Innocent people get shot, robbed and killed frequently in this city.

And if you think otherwise, you are the one who doesn't have a clue.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He did say "most", Dabirch.

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 514
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And when people get killed who may have been up to no good, you don't really hear about. Kind of like these two statistics who are mentioned in a freep article about after hours clubs.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070109/NEW S02/701090302

There's not even a mention of them in the story's headline--probably because there's not much of a sob story since they were at an illegal brothel/nightclub. It's pretty sad how these two lives aren't worthy of more attention. I wonder what they did or didn't do to deserve what they got. We'll probably never find out.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5024
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "just another drug dealer dead" is such a ridiculous and anti-social attitude to hold. The fact that losing people to the criminal world is any less a loss to this country than someone else being loss is kind of frightening. I can't get over how some of us are so incredibly able and content to separate ourselves from our fellow countrymen. No one wins regardless of who we lose, and it just shows how incredibly content we are with our dysfunctional country. These rates of murder are horrific to most other developed nations, and they should horrify us. We've always been in this together, whether we want to be or not. There is such thing as a society as much as some fundamental individualist hate to here it who take the idea of individualism to extremes. You can't separate the individual anymore from society than you can separate society from the individual, the point being that no one wins when someone is murdered whatever that murdered person may or may not have been involved in. The only way you could talk a murder up to "just another criminal lost" is if you don't believe in the redemption of individuals, or you believe that some people are born inherently evil, and that's just plain ridiculous and offensive to any thoughtful, fair-minded American ables to form a thought.

As for the whole idea of criminality around the drug trade it was society that created this, and created the stigma around it. There are two types of laws, Malum in se (wrong in itself), there are nearly universal human laws which we make to preserve humanity, and then Malum prohibitum (wrong because it's prohibited). Drug laws are clearly the latter, and since that's the case it shows just how ridiculous this war on drugs is that has lead to the loss of so many lives.

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 147
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any updates now that we are 1.5 weeks in???

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 146
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least 5 murders.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5027
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's been 8 or so in significantly smaller New Orleans, 2 stabbing fatalities in tiny Lansing, thus far, etc...

It's nearly futile to try and gauge murder trends so early in the year. Even more importantly, splitting these things up in tidy January to December measures is kind of silly, too, seeing as how the top murder seasons are in the summer and winter.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.