Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » I Love the Auto Show! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Missed it the last 2 years, but I'm coming in Friday to go on Sat! One of my favorite events anywhere! Love the cars. Love the crowds. Love the winter. Just a fun time to see all the beautiful metal and the future of the auto industry.

Just excited. Hope others are too :-)

Austinjohn
Username: Austinjohn

Post Number: 296
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am also coming up next week, Jan 13-21st for my birthday and the show. Haven't been to the Auto Show in over 25 years. Looking forward to seeing all the cars and the inside of Cobo Hall again! Hope to see everyone at an FSC on Thursday, Jan. 18th.

Mthouston
Username: Mthouston

Post Number: 645
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take a look here
http://www.360michigan.net/200 7NAIAS.html
or here
http://www.360michigan.net/200 6NAIAS.html
:-)

Detroit_expat
Username: Detroit_expat

Post Number: 1277
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love cars, but I hate the Auto Show. Being 5'7" means I spend the whole time looking at other peoples' shoulder blades, and watching them carry plastic sacks full of brochures while screaming at their kids.

"Chantelle, get your ass off that platform right now!" Or, "Peter, you're not holding Mommy's hand. Peter! You're NOT HOLDING MOMMY'S HAND!"

And it's all hot, because there's no where to put your coat but you had to wear it since you had to walk at least six blocks to get into the damned thing. And all the models have on makeup for television, not real life, so when you see them in person they look like crack whores who hit the lotto. It's scary.

Enough. I'll watch the pathetic coverage (a/k/a infomercials) that they do on the local channels right after the 11 o'clock news.

(Message edited by Detroit Ex-Pat on January 08, 2007)

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 382
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you guys see that new CTS that thing is bad. I almost cant wait until my lease runs out on my current car so I can get that or the new STS if its out by then.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3859
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Same here for me expat....but I am 6'4" so I get to look over everyone pretty much. Sucks when all the short people coming walking tino me like ice flowing into a pier.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 5722
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL @ Det ex :-)

Patrick, shame on you for that comeback but :-) just the same.....

(Message edited by karl on January 09, 2007)

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 885
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

expat--there is a coat check just opposite the doors to the exhibition hall. It's money well spent.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5397
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY AUTO SHOW! I can't wait to see it.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4152
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Media and Industry week is really the only time to go, before the rabble shows up.

Mthouston

Post Number: 646
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know Jelk, after spending two day with my fellow members of the "media"(it seems every moron with a camcorder or digital camera is now a member of the "media" and somehow manages to get a press pass)
I think I'm looking forward to the public show. :-)

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 774
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lucky you! The auto show here in San Francisco is pretty lame in comparison.

Jerome81

Post Number: 1245
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sknutson-
Agreed. Went to the SF one the last two years. Its fine if you didn't happen to catch a couple of the concept cars that made the rounds all of the previous year. Otherwise it is really a place just to walk around and look at new cars already on the lots.

To the poster about the CTS, agreed, that thing looks fantastic! I really like the current car, but this one looks even better outside with a fantastic interior (the current car is pretty crummy inside, in my opinion). Plus you can get it with a 300hp V6, manual transmission, and All Wheel Drive if you want it. Should I somehow stumble into a bit more $, I too may have to pick one up :-)

Craigd
Username: Craigd

Post Number: 209
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coming to Detroit to see the show Saturday the 20th. Something I haven't done for over 25 years.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4155
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mthouston,

I owe don't care about the cars just the food and open bar. When GM unveiled the new Corvette in 2004...Makers Mark and shrimp the size of your fist. That's how to do the auto show.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 286
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got back from "industry preview day". Nice show. Exact lay out as last year. Highlights IMO: Camaro convertible and CTS. Ford Edge is nice too. I've never seen one up close. The place was packed like it is on any day when open to the public. I guess the $75 price tag didn't deter many people today.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 88
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the Camaro convertible really that great in person? I've seen tons of photos on the net and I just don't like it. I'm not in the market for a new car either, just have free passes and it's great people-watching. I am interested in the Jeep Trailhawk concept though. Anything else that I should make a beeline for? BeadGrl and I will be going on Sunday morning.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 864
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 7:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never been to the auto show. This entry from Detroitblog raised a question though.

http://www.detroitblog.org/?p= 428

Do they have any male models at the show now? Straight women and gay men buy cars too! Why the pandering to het males?

(Message edited by Pam on January 12, 2007)

Craigd

Post Number: 211
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because it's the norm, Pam.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 867
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Because it's the norm, Pam.

Time for change, it's 2007.

I just googled up this stat:

quote:

According to the Marti Barletta of Brandweek, women are the decision makers for over 80 percent of any major (and many minor) household purchases. This includes cars, where 60 percent of new car buyers are women.

(Message edited by Pam on January 12, 2007)

Mthouston

Post Number: 654
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Mthouston,

I owe don't care about the cars just the food and open bar. When GM unveiled the new Corvette in 2004...Makers Mark and shrimp the size of your fist. That's how to do the auto show

I'm with you brother.
:-)......................

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 296
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that this year they started to place male models for the women attendees.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1453
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if its dry out, i'm going to ride my bike to the show :-)

Toog05
Username: Toog05

Post Number: 89
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this year auto show will be better than many of the previous ones.

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 254
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, the auto show is a little disappointing this year compared to last in my opinion.

I was there yesterday and there wasn't a ton of new or exciting additions.

A few things worth mentioning:

The concept Camaro is great looking in the flesh and Ford did a nice job with their new display this year.

Mercedes put all their cars on ice and constructed a giant two piece frozen wall with expensive couches to relax in.

Also, Scion stacked their cars on rafters 3 high and 3 wide like match box cars.

Finally, the SMART car is at the show.

Of course if you like looking at $100K plus cars then there is plenty to see in the unaffordable market.

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 130
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Auto Show reminds me of cable TV (non-premium channels), i.e., paying to see advertising.

Does some or all the the admission monies go to charity?

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 255
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charity is tonight, one night only as far as I know. The show is put on by the dealers association. If anyone is making money or donating it its them.

Mthouston

Post Number: 657
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last year over 6 million dollars were donated to various children's charities in Michigan.All the money was generated by the ticket sale to the Charity Preview

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 149
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The charity event brings in over $1 million which is donated to various charities

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 152
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

regarding the charity aspect, from todays DetNews:

"Ticket sales are down for tonight's black-tie preview of the North American International Auto Show, with thousands of tickets still available to the benefit for 11 local children's charities.

Sales were expected to hit $6 million Thursday, which is a contrast to recent years when the Charity Preview was a sellout and raised $7.5 million. Tickets cost $400 per person, which means the gala offering a sneak peak to the auto show could accommodate at least 3,750 more people."

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1347
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's $6 million. I had the same problem with this post but was able to correct it.

Charity Preview ticket sales dip

7milekid
Username: 7milekid

Post Number: 155
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love all the glorified overpaid hos they have laying all over the cars and walking around trying not to seem like the dumb hos that they really are.

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 297
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "I love all the glorified overpaid hos they have laying all over the cars and walking around trying not to seem like the dumb hos that they really are."

Very well phrased. Smart observation.

7milekid
Username: 7milekid

Post Number: 157
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what can i say, I love hos!

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11115
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spent 3.5 hours there today and I have to say that this is the best show I have ever been to! Lots of new interesting products as well as some very intriguing concepts.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 368
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have to see the BMW 6-series convertible. It is S-I-C-K!!!

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 75
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great time in Detroit today. Loved the Auto Show.

On the People Mover from Greek Town.
First Time in ten years.

Daddy, Can I Have A Cooper?

Like this Jeep.

No name for this sleek auto.

Back to Greek Town for dinner.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 89
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice pix, Flybydon! BeadGrl and I plan on doing the same thing, parking at Greektown and People Moving over to Cobo. One question about that Jeep though. I noticed it's a four-door but there is no B-pillar. How do the back doors open?

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1359
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^ Its called a hardtop. cars of the 60s and 70s were all like that. No post between the windows. A Sedan has the post.

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 815
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got back from the show...

sort of disappointing in the excitment factor.

i sort of got used to the flickering lights, loud speakers, multi-levels, stairs, vibrating floor subwoofers, music and etc. this year it seemed to lack in this department, so i find the lack of external stimuli disappointing.

there were some very nice cars and concepts though.

i thought the general had the best new production car in the cts, and the malibu was also very nice for a entry level family sedan.

but concept would be the volt.

other nice cars...

in general, toyota, after getting in the lexus ls, es, and the toyota avalon, looking at the content and price ratio, i have no idea how they can afford to sell this many and still be so profitable.

the lexus ls for example is levels above the merc, bmw and audi in terms of quality feel.

ford and gm are making huge strides in the quality and feel of the interior materials. gm has gotten the look down (malibu) but the craftsmanship (aura) still needs much improvment. walking the floor, i thought that ford had the best display, but looking at the cars, they are really lacking a direction.

those are my thoughts for now, i did not venture outside of cobo as i had a minor with me, so any insight on how downtown looked and what energy was around the local establishments would be interesting.

Supersport

Post Number: 11124
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My in depth run down of the show, which cars I liked, what ones disappointed me, and almost 200 pictures that turned out way better than I thought they would:

http://www.motorcitymuscle.blo gspot.com

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 378
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

-Finally a plum crazy edition for the Charger. It will look much better on the new Challenger IMO.

-Lets hope Ford builds that Lincoln concept. I could see myself in the Interceptor.

-The new CTS looks stunning, it's really starting to grow on me.
Was there a CTS-V version there???

-The new Malibu will be the next car my family purchases. Put a small rear lip spoiler and it will complete the look. WOW!

Very nice site you got there Ssport. Makes me wish I could be there.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1864
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice photos, Supersport!!! Appreciate your commentary as well.

Just wondering if there are any historical displays commemorating the 100th Year of the Auto Show in Detroit?

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 144
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Took some friends from Orlando here to the Auto Show and did downtown bars last night (Pulse, Centaur) They luv it are very impressed

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1732
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1910 Detroit Autoshow

From the 1910 Detroit Auto Show, Pavilion at the Wayne Hotel, at the foot of Third.

(Message edited by Hornwrecker on January 14, 2007)

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 672
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't go to the show, mainly because I hate crowds but went out for dinner at Greektown last night and then to the Centaur bar with 2 of my German co-worker/friends who have never been here before. They (as I once again) were impressed with how good downtown looked. It was packed everywhere, the streets, the restaurants, the bars. Go Detroit, hopefully no bad incidents will happen, I'm sure we're getting positive press from all over the world.

56packman

Post Number: 902
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought Guindon should do a cartoon at this time of year with an old lady (80+--the kind he draws so well) where she is standing up at the senior center reciting "the 1932 Hupmobile features free wheeling, a device that saves......................... "

the lost memories of an auto show T&T girl, decades later.

Supersport

Post Number: 11128
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Linda Vaughn, Miss Hurst, still shows up at events. But perhaps you may be better off looking at pictures of her online from back in the 1960's.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1491
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 7:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

flybydon and sport's photos of the auto show are really great. Quite professional, and they cover a whole host of cars.
And the Ford Aerostar also left John McElroy, WWJ's auto critic, scratching his head. I heard his commentary a couple of days ago and he concludes that it is one of the ugliest cars he has ever seen and should be given a good Christian burial after the Auto Show closes.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 384
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow! Love the pic from 1910~

Jerome81

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went Saturday. Loved it! It had been since the 04 show that I was there, and it was better than I remember from them.

Favorite production car? Cadillac CTS. Fav concept? Lincoln MKR. Awesome.

Was great to see the crowds too!

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 311
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got back and only spent a couple hours. I'd like it a lot better if they restricted admission to 18+.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2034
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sports observations are great as long as you subscribe to his anti-asian prejudices.Take a look at how he describes anything other than American ..."Piece of shit"

Yep a real objective take on things from an avowed bigot.

Jerome81

Post Number: 1260
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vic-
I suppose I would and wouldn't. On one hand, it would be nice and really cut down on the difficulty of getting around (I couldn't believe the number of strollers tooling around Cobo). Plus there were many times I went to check out some of the cars but had to wait several minutes because little kids were climbing all over the interior while mom and dad were nowhere in sight.

On the other hand, it is a good family event and I think that by allowing all ages to visit means that more adults come. If they had to find sitters they probably wouldn't come down at all.

FYI, I believe that each night after 5 or 7pm it is all 18+. You can probably find that out online at naias.com.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 234
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got back from it a couple of hours ago. What was Ford thinking with that Airstream concept? Looks like a cross between an HHR, a minivan, and a Tahoe. Really ugly. Only exhibit that I really enjoyed was the GM one. Volt looked good, that Australian car was interesting, and Pontiac has improved some to, along with Saturn. Toyota's hybrid sports car was runner up to the Airstream in worst car category. Good show by GM this year.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 288
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Ford made a big mistake in selecting which models to display. Example: Every Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan were decked out versions in the 30K range. Leather,premium sound, a $1,900 navigation system, etc. These cars were designed and marketed specifically to compete with the Toyota Camry. Toyota chose to display two models, one decked out and one entry level version. The entry level version was around $20K. Potential shoppers look at the bottom line of the sticker. Granted, they are not comparing apples-to-apples, but some of them don't take the time so they walk away with the impression that a Fusion costs $10k more than a Camry. I noticed that nearly all Ford products were the "loaded" versions. I think potential buyers will be scared enough to avoid their showrooms when it comes time to buy a car.

BTW I went twice, Thursday on Industry Preview day and on Saturday. Saturday evening was hopping downtown! The People Mover was so packed, we saw people who couldn't get on at every station because it was too full. It was a fun, festive party atmosphere similar to the week leading to Super Bowl last year.

56packman

Post Number: 924
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went Saturday AM. The Ford booth was nice, just no product to show in it. Everything they had in the car lines for Ford and Mercury screamed "fleet sales, rental car". Outside of DEER-Bern old Ford fuddys, who buy everything their former employer makes, I can't see them winning over people with cars that look and price out like that. The airstream was novel--I liked the 1968 "2001 a space odyssey" seating--that look, the 60's mod-pod chair look was all over the show, back big. It's nothing Ford will ever make, just something to talk about. The Lincoln show car was nice--it's about time. If Lincoln can only reverse the trend of their product going for the first owner in Bloomfield hills the the next owner (after the lease is up) in Taylor-tucky (a sure comment on resale value).
The MKZ (formerly "Zephyr) was very nice, actually suprising.
I liked the Dodge Avenger--the biggest thing (for Detroit as a region) is the '08 Minivans, Chrysler kept that annuity going in a positive direction.
Scion had one of the most creative displays, well aimed at their segment. Toyota had the new, larger Tundra truck front and center, and it's only a matter of time before they make an F-150 clone, after which the folks in Dearborn will see their last safe cash cow threatened.
GM had a good show, and it's about time. The Volt was the buzz of the show, and if they can get this car together it will have a huge impact for the domestic brands and their ability to survive and (maybe even) grow again. The environment would be a big winner in this as well. The extreme ends of the GM line looked good. Cadillac had some exciting product; the "V-series" version of the CTS was a hot ride, as was the XLR. For once they had CARS in the Cadillac booth, as opposed to other years when they only displayed the blinged up Chevy trucks people think are Cadillacs. Chevy looked good, the Impala was nice, and exactly what you expect from a Chevy.
My problem with GM this year was everything in the middle. Pontiac (with the exception of the Solstice) was bland, almost aspiring to be the Buick of the younger set. The interiors of Pontiac and Buick had the cheapest looking instrument panel center "pod". It looked OK in the Chevys--it's what you expect for that kind of $$, but on the P and B it looked a little too Fisher-Price. The Buick Terraza walk-through model was nice, but you couldn't sit in it. The Lucerne was what you would expect, but still lacked in fit and finish for its price class and competition. I hate Hummers, so it was interesting to me to look at who liked them and who was looking (at them) with intent.
Mini-Cooper had a DJ spinning some house music, a great move to get to the up-and-coming market segment they wish to attract. The BMW line was very nice this year.
If you have to drive a sedan, the Bimmer is a nice way to go.
J______ C________! What was it this year with vandalism inside the cars? shift knobs, radio knobs, anything and everything that could be yanked or fatigued off of the IP was gone on any car that the public was allowed to sit in. It’s a sad commentary on the region and who attends the show. It's always happened, but I don't ever remember it being this bad.
The row of exotic "lawyer-doctor" high money cars was mobbed to the point of being unsafe. Would someone please tell Rolls-Royce that their new body style is butt ugly? (Like it matters, like they care). Big trends this year: the 1968 "2001" look and LED lights. LED panels everywhere.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5434
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This years auto show was the best. Over 700,000 people attended the event. Let's the show going.

Xphillipjrx
Username: Xphillipjrx

Post Number: 145
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a media pass for the Chicago show. If you want to see a show you should hit McCormick Place. Way more cars on display.

Jerome81

Post Number: 1268
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

packman-
The manufacturers remove all those thing so that people do NOT steal them. Just FYI. Every single auto show I have been to (Chicago, Detroit, San Francisco, San Jose, Birmingham) have had all that stuff removed. Theft prevention, not a display of theft.

Unfortunately attendance was down for the 4th year in a row. Not unexpected. I think a reflection more of the economy and employee cutbacks than anything lacking in the show itself. I thought it had a great mix of concepts, new models, and excellent displays.

As far as Chicago, it is almost palatial in the amount of space at McCormick. Chicago is the biggest auto show in the world based on attendance. As far as production and concept debuts, however, Detroit has always been #1. You will NOT see as many concepts or new models in Chicago as you see in Detroit. However, they may have more already-on-sale models to check out. I will say that Detroit is a hell of a lot more fun to go to though. There is excitement in the air. The place is packed. Everyone is excited. Worldwide media attention. It is the senior prom of the auto shows, and it is just more fun. If you want less of an "event" and more of a show, Chicago is better for that. More relaxed atmosphere. Not nearly as bustling. Not nearly as exciting.

(Message edited by Jerome81 on January 22, 2007)

Craigd

Post Number: 218
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well worth the trip from Florida. What a great show. The new Camaro stole the show...IMHO. What a cool car. I hope they sell everyone.

Most car lines were well represented. I was surprised the new Challenger was not there. The new CTS is quite nice. Same with most the concepts. The Chevy Volt is super. 40 miles on electric power per charge.

Beavis1981
Username: Beavis1981

Post Number: 83
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

unfortunetly volt is not viable for many years. That giant battery running the length of the car is lithium. Way too expensive right now but the idea is good. At least they are not sinking too much money into hybrids. As for challenger its probably good it wasn't there. The concept had the same basic paint sceme as the camaro. Now that I think about they look way too simaler. The camaro coupe was way better. In silver it reminded me of a '69 zl1.

56packman

Post Number: 927
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Challenger will be out at the end of next year, to an eager buying public that wants them. The Challenger concept premiered LAST YEAR in orange, the Camero HT in silver. This year the Camero convertible is in Orange. Gee, who did what first?
GM just announced that the Camaro won't be out until '09--if anyone still wants them. GM has to learn how to turn around a design and get it into production faster. They both look similar because they are both long hood, short trunk pony cars that are paying homage to an earlier, handsome design. They did not look dissimilar (look it up) back in the early 70's. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and in cars love is truly blind. The Camaro concept is a good looking car with a cartoon grille area, a little to over the top for my liking--Bill Mitchell would not be pleased. I wish GM well with it, when they get it done.

Beavis1981
Username: Beavis1981

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The camaro coupe was way better. In silver it reminded me of a '69 zl1. Your right I have never seen a 70s muscle car. I don't even know where I would start to look for such a mysterious object. Especially in detroit of all places. If only they had some kind of event where these cars could drive up and down a road for all to see. So yeah GM should really get on the ball here. An all new platform from the ground up should be done by now. How long has the 300c/charger/magnum been out for like 3years now? This is not including develvopment/prototype time in existence. oh well either way they we competing for a market segment that is almost non-existant. THESE CARS ARE JUST TOO EXPENSIVE. Word is they couldn't price a v-6 challenger within $5000 of a GT mustang. Imagine that a luxury car platform too expensive?

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 142
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would argue that the Volt is viable. The Tesla and the Phoenix (http://www.phoenixmotorcars.co m/) both use lithium batteries. GM is probably just a bit more cautious than these new auto companies, but the technology exists.

I went to the show thinking the Volt would be a joke. I was wrong. I am very impressed. I just hope that GM breaks its pattern of having the best concept cars and then never producing them for the public. In general, I think GM has done a good job with their model line and I hope that this show signals better times ahead for them. Can't say I was as impressed with Ford.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 658
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How is the attendance for other US shows compared to Detroit's? Attendance here keeps going down, and it might be a good benchmark to compare.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.