Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » New front in the Iraq civil war. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 206
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Muslim leaders cite Saddam's execution in Detroit damage

What's next; suicide bombers?

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1241
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhhh, religion. Inciting violence since 1915 (B.C.).

Kronprinz
Username: Kronprinz

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1953 you mean "BCE"

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9140
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leave that hatreed over there. I thought they all wanted to come to N America to start a NEW life? Not bring all that baggage and BS here.

If people can't live with the neighbours they have then leave!

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2033
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If people can't live with the neighbours they have then leave!

From the sound of it, you don't seem to be able to live with neighbors whom are filled with bitterness, hatred, and baggage. Therefore, by your logic, is it you who should leave?

Goat

Post Number: 9142
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Dabirch. They came here to seek a better life and yet bring that BS with them. As I stated, don't like your neighbour then leave. I get along fine with my neighbours and if they are filled with bitterness, hatred and baggage then it is obvious they can't live with me, not the other way around. I should have clarified that it shold be those filled with that hatred that should leave.
I forgot that I am writing a thesis when I post on this sloooow moving board.

(Message edited by GOAT on January 09, 2007)

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2035
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just pointing out the difficulty in holding such an approach.

Kind of like "I am tolerant of all, except for the intolerant"

When you become intolerant of the intolerant, are you not by definition, one of them?

Goat

Post Number: 9144
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I don't think so. If people become tolerant of those who are bigoted then the problem will only grow as it is passed down. Intolerance must be eradicated for the betterment of mankind.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1314
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dabirch: Good question. I've often heard it resolved like this:

If there must be intolerance, let it be limited toward itself that it make check itself.

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 294
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "When you become intolerant of the intolerant, are you not by definition, one of them?"

By that logic, should people have tolerated Jim Crow laws in the South? Should the Klan be tolerated? Should Afghani immigrants be allowed to beat their women in public because it's part of their culture?

Are we supposed to look the other way at bigotry, racism and sexism just to fulfill some self-given image as tolerant and liberal and understanding?

If so, then the people who fought for the end of segregation, for the right of women to vote, and myriad other social causes were technically intolerant.

I'm not sure we should destroy our norms of civilization so as to avoid being labeled "intolerant" and fit some extreme notion of political correctness.

Mountainman
Username: Mountainman

Post Number: 120
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look at this .... Bush's inept pawns fing stuff again. Anyone surprised? Should we impeach him before his little foray into the middle east brings some violence home? Oh, well you know he's handled the economy so well .... what's MI unemployment rate?

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 708
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great, My house is about 600' from those stores. Thats about the last thing the neighborhood needs.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 211
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Always sorta seemed odd to me that people would ever want to destroy the neighborhood in which they live, regardless of the reasons...

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5025
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And, here we go again with the hyperbole, and for the simple fact that the issue is only newsworthy because the motives are topical to what's going on at the moment. You want to see a real problem in the city, how about the gang problem that plagues some areas of the city? We're talking about one incident committed by a group that makes up something like one percent of the population, and then making this sound as if it's full-scale Iraq brought to Detroit. Seriously, far too many of us simply feed off of bad news and constant negitivity, and I've noticed this of the people of Metro Detroit probably more than anywhere else I've ever been.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 207
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 4:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Imams aim to calm fears after vandalism

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.