Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Baker's Keyboard Lounge « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 110
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking for a unique night out with my wife--anyone have any thought's on Baker's on Livernois?

Rust
Username: Rust

Post Number: 143
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Classic Jazz Club overflowing with ambience.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3546
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great choice. Go early. Eat, prices very reasonable, portions large. That way you get good seat.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 761
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean Dobbins on Saturday. Arrive before 830.
www.bakerskeyboardlounge.com

Erobtheone
Username: Erobtheone

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love bakers. Thursdays used to be open mic and the talent that comes through there is great. The food is good too but get there early for a good seat.

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 669
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would also check out Cliff Bells (www.cliffbells.com) downtown. I think Thursdays they have a 16 piece jazz band. They don't have food but you could hit any number of the restaurants downtown first.
For a unique night out I would go to Vicente's for Cuban Cuisine then Cliff Bells for absolutely amazing music and ambience.
Bakers is also wonderful. Just thought I'd throw out another option.

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both of those places are very nice. Bakers is legendary, you have to go at least once. Lowell is right, the food is especially good and very moderately priced. Great crowd, super friendly people. We had a party of four there for nearly four hours, ate a huge dinner and ordered round after round of drinks, and our tab was around $110, which is unbelievably cheap (especially for the amount of booze we were tossing).

Ha_asfan
Username: Ha_asfan

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I can't believe people think the food at Bakers is good! Ok, the muffins are good, the mac and cheese is good...that's about it. I would eat elsewhere and go for the great music.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8140
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Wow, I can't believe people think the food at Bakers is good! Ok, the muffins are good, the mac and cheese is good...that's about it. I would eat elsewhere and go for the great music.

I assume that this is Kwame's fault as well or is Kwame just stealing from Baker's?

Ha_asfan

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1, What is the link between my thoughts on the quality of food served at Bakers and your Kwame remark?

Jt1

Post Number: 8141
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought every post of your had to accuse Kwame of screwing up or being a crook. I was just trying to keep some consistency.

Ha_asfan

Post Number: 83
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do think Kwame is a crook. I have limited my comments re Kwame to Rackham Golf Course. Please don't make try to make points for me, I will do make them myself.

Jt1

Post Number: 8142
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like someone can't take a little sarcasm.

(Message edited by jt1 on January 11, 2007)

Jimg

Post Number: 762
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harmonie, Scott Gwinnell's ork is on Weds eve at Cliff Bell's. Baker's has 'open mic' on Weds as well, excellent trio (Weed/Mayberry/Davidson).
Ha_asfan, you don't like the Catfish dinner???

Ha_asfan

Post Number: 84
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never had the Catfish Dinner...had lots of other dishes there and they're just plain old not so great. Every New Years we go to Bakers for the celebration and even on New Years, the food, and this is just my opinion, is pretty average....food isn't why I go there and certainly I'll continue to go...just wish their kitchen turned out food worth going for.

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What kind of attire is appropriate for Baker's?

Jimg

Post Number: 763
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shoes are required.

Jimg

Post Number: 764
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have to agree with you about the Mac/Cheez, and muffins, they really are good. Mmmhmmm

Attire? Younger folks often dress 'casually' but anything works, really. It's a lounge and the overall tone is, to me, classy. Most important thing to bring is R-E-S-P-E-C-T for the musicians.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1862
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI...an overview of area jazz clubs, including Baker's....http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=2007701070525

Jimg

Post Number: 768
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In-depth article on Baker's available at
http://detroitmusichistory.com /Bakers.pdf

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 369
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bakers is the best. Come as you are. Good food, good people, and good music.

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 192
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just got home from Bakers... the salmon patties and dressing are both amazing... and the music has always been great. Both of my friends were impressed.

Seth
Username: Seth

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Baker's is THE place to take out of towners or (more importantly) friends who grew up in the area and never saw the need to experience music at 8 Mile and Livernois.

The food is great. The service is slow - but you really shouldn't be rushing to leave.

An evening at Baker's always feels like a voyage back to some bygone era.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love Baker's, go there all the time. Wednesday night is Open Jam Session with the Tad Weed Trio. All sorts show up and jam out onstage. Course, they recently implemented a no-smoking policy everywhere except at the bar. I guess most people will like that, but I kinda enjoy sipping a gin and tonic and watching my jazz through a cloud of smoke. Just a traditionalist, I guess. See my thread "Pictures of fun times around Detroit" for a shot I took at Baker's one night.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could swear I saw Chapter 8 (featuring a then-unknown Anita Baker) perform there once. Am I confused with another place? Anyone?

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 79
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live right across the street. I helped book some kick-ass traditional New Orleans jazz (politically incorrect term "Dixieland") band there last week. Old ladies loved it, young men loved it, black and white ... it was the French Quarter at 8 & Livernois last week for Ragtime Rick and His Chefs of Dixieland. Old black ladies waving their handkerchiefs, old white lady celebrating her 80th birthday ... chefs hats for everyone in the band ... what a night. They'll be back again. They usually play in Toledo at Murphy's. Great time, but the cook burned my fish to a crisp.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.