Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » FIRE!!! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 7:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Imagine waking up, looking out your window and seeing this.

Tetsua

Post Number: 1041
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like the thing is going to be a total loss. I'd normally say I'm sorry to see such an old building go, but after seeing the type of traffic that building attracts, f--- it. This is the building across the street and north of the Mid-Med lofts, would have been disappointing for Mid Med project to burn down already.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 898
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How 'bout an address--I can tell about where it is. Another 20's apartment bldg. gone.

Tetsua

Post Number: 1042
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was across from the Garfield Lofts on Woodward

Artstar
Username: Artstar

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://i42.photobucket.com/alb ums/e328/Nirland/christmas_200 6_florida015.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/alb ums/e328/Nirland/christmas_200 6_florida002.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/alb ums/e328/Nirland/christmas_200 6_florida013.jpg

Ya that was crazy to wake up too. The firemen came into our building and banged on the doors to move our cars. But all I had heard was fire and get out! The news crews thought that the apartment building that was on fire was in use, so they bombarded me with questions about the smoke detectors and how I got out. I guess they thought the fire blew out all the windows and then boarded them up, and then built a 8 foot fence around the border of the building.

The front of the building is not burned at all, but the roof is pretty much gone. It looked like the fire started on the top floor, and directly in the middle of the building.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1450
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i heard on wdet that the streets were blocked off in the area for a "building fire" (way to report on something that was happening just across the street from the studio :sarcasm: ), i just kept hoping it wasn't mid-med, mocad, the apartments at john r and canfield, or the garfield lofts.

(Message edited by gravitymachine on January 11, 2007)

(Message edited by gravitymachine on January 11, 2007)

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1472
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just saw it on the way to work; it is the building that is behind George N'Namdi's gallery/building. I could smell the smoke all the way to Warren; made me wonder about the art in his storage rooms being smoke damaged.

hey wasnt there some recent announcement of a major arts incubator sponsored by the Arts League of Michigan going up in this area, on Forest between Woodward and John R?

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 250
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody know if that building was slated for development?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5403
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fire is caused by some Po'folks who squatted into the abandon building, light a warn fire and it went out of control causing the building up go up smoke. This is was a total loss of one of the medical lofts. Millions of investment dollars went down the drain. That's is why most of the vacant buildings around the inner cities must by boarded up or fenced up for future use. Hopefully the upcoming Med-lofts is still in good shape, if not then the developers would have to deal with thousands of angry future homeowners and creditors.

Or in theory, problably some Po'folk set the building on fire and its serves as a warning for hip cool skinny white folks not to come to midtown. Urban rebellion that keep developers and white from coming into Detroit. Segregation has its price.

Designut
Username: Designut

Post Number: 98
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stecks77-
Jonna Co., the company that owns Garfield lofts, owns that building and the one directly across garfield (next to MOCAD). There was an article in the Free Press around three years ago about how they were working on tax credits but nothing has materialized (except minor demo. i.e. - a dumpster in the ally) They did recently perform some upgrades in the form of a razor-wire fence and a fresh coat of paint on the ply-wood covering the first floor windows...
The fire did not damage the facade or front portion of the building though, so although probably unlikely, a development like mid-med would still be possible. (knock the rest down and build behind the facade) - none of the brick collapsed.

Stecks77

Post Number: 251
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Designut: Thanks for the post.

Just looking at the orientation of the building it didn't seem to look as if it was a great candidate for conversion unless there were major modifications like the Mid-Med lofts.

Maybe Jonna Co. was banking on the land be worth more in the long run and didn't have the cash to do a major project. Who knows? Just speculation.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whoa!! On saturday I was planning on visiting Jonna Co. to do a tour of their many lofts. The company is a good friend of the family and they purchased some photos of mine for their offices, models, etc. I am sorry to see this happen. I'm sure I'll hear about this during the visit--I'll get some pictures and info for everyone.

Tetsua

Post Number: 1043
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fire trucks had to return about 20 minutes ago. Somehow the building managed to have conjure enough heat to start a second fire. This time the truck drivers weren't good enough to get in the parking lot though.

Stecks77

Post Number: 252
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This happened to the DFD a week ago.

They went to a small fire at a house last week which occurred in the roof area. It wasn't major and they thought the fire was out. Hours later they were called back to the same house and now the fire had totally destroyed the place.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 187
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not a big surprise about poor folk starting the fire. There's a homeless community right down the street.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4542
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...homeless community...??

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 189
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's an area of incredibly long grass around there. If you look back there is a lone tree. Around the tree are a couple of trash cans, a lot of trash, and occasionally, a few homeless folk.

Artstar
Username: Artstar

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The homeless hang out right next to he building, there is a whole living room set up outside right next to it, and everyday the new fences that were put up are torn down or pulled back. It sucks that after there efforts to keep it salvageable this shit still happens.

and -- Danny please tell me you are joking about the whole "master plan to keep white kids out of the city"

Its sometimes difficult to read sarcasm so my apologies if thats what you were doing. But really?

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 83
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just spoke to Jonna Co. They have informed me that the building was secured after discovering homeless living there, but was repeatedly broken into many times. After installing heavier security, all efforts to get back in were fruitless and some frustrated squatters started the fire. They anticipate that the damage, though major, would not require the demolition of the entire structure, and that at least the front facade will remain intact in the final plan.

Again, I'm visiting on Saturday and will post some closeup photos of this and Jonna Co.'s other properties.

Tetsua

Post Number: 1045
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think the heavier security kept the homeless / drug addicts out the building at all. Just days after they added the extra security to the building you saw the hobos wrecked part of the fence, and walked through it like nothing was wrong. They ripped the board off the door too.

The fire started from the top of the building, which means someone had to have been in there. I think one of the squatters was getting high, and dropped the pipe. Or they started a fire to try and stay warm.

Cwl704
Username: Cwl704

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well when/if they rebuild this into condos one hopes they will be require sprinklers.Won't be a problem with fires after that.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 212
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 6:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Similarly, one might expect that condos with have central heat, reducing the need for building a fire on the floor (or roof) to keep warm on cold January nights

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 211
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today, Detroit Funk posted some pictures of the buildings affected by this fire, I think:

http://www.detroitfunk.com/

Tetsua

Post Number: 1047
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honestly, it didn't look that much better before the fire :-)

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1594
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walking out of MOCAD one day I saw someone taking photos of that building. She said was from San Diego and was with a group of other out of towners.

She was standoffish - I didn't have the nerve to ask her if she was enjoying her visit after I saw her snapping those pics.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5404
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Artstar,

This is no joke!! There are some crazy folks in Detroit that they don't want white folks back into the city. But that won't stop them. Young White folks are coming to Detroit for the action and new housing. It's for ethnic change. Black-folks had their chance to rule and its somebody else's turn.

Cwl704
Username: Cwl704

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Similarly, one might expect that condos with have central heat, reducing the need for building a fire on the floor (or roof) to keep warm on cold January nights" LOL All though funny I was being serious.The city doesn't do enough for fire protection/inspection and fire sprinklers are needed.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 237
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any more updates out there about this bldg.?

Tetsua

Post Number: 1048
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing new really, the roof and top floor are pretty much gone. I talked to some people doing a walk through of this building in the fall though, and they said it was possible that the building was going to be gutted anyway (building around the outer facade like the MidMed lofts).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.