Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Fine Dining 50s Style! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 522
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Found this restaurant ad in a 1956 issue of Detroit Guest Magazine.

pets

Daddy? Where's Fluffy?
Shut up and eat your barbecued chicken!

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where did you obtain the magazine? That would have been near Palmer Park and Hamilton.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 87
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's where the pets go...when they die!

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Petco was one store east of 2nd. and McNichols. Great ribs and chicken 50 years ago.

(Message edited by Jman on January 12, 2007)

Jman

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoops, sorry about the above. Petco was on the corner. The second storefront was a bar I used to patronize to wash down the ribs.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 406
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember it well. While a student at U. of D. (late 50's) we used to go there fairly frequently, the main reason being that they put out free stuff like pickled beets, peppers etc which we'd load up on and buy the cheapest entree on the menu. Ate well and inexpensively.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 218
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe the 'eating well but inexpensively' helped put them out of business?

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 407
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I doubt I'm the guy that did it but you might as well blame me for everything as everyone else does.

I wish I'd have had enough money to try the ribs; I always heard they were great.

Anyone remember Maria's on Fenkell (I think), also a great U. of D. hangout, although more upscale ( a little) than Petco's?

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2051
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I doubt I'm the guy that did it but you might as well blame me for everything as everyone else does.

Not everyone, just Itsjeff.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 730
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who knew that from a small storefront BBQ would grow a giant big-box store servicing the needs of pet owners who insist on buying their dogs christmas presents or outfits?

(Message edited by Detroitplanner on January 12, 2007)

Jman

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3rdworldcity, did you ever go to U of D Pizzaria on Livernois? O.K., my mouth just started watering.

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 408
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jman: Yes, many times; another good place.

What about Robin Hood on Livernois, south of 8 mile? I ate breakfast there at least a couple of hundred times.

Dabirch: Keen observation. And, I wish Ij had responded to your question in the GAR thread. Thanks.

(Message edited by 3rdworldcity on January 12, 2007)

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that the same Maria's that is on 9mi in Ferndale, originally in Detroit, I think?

Jman

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a few breakfasts at Robin Hood myself as I was working at a bookstore just north of 7 mile in the early 60s.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.