Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » City-owned slum awaits wreckers « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitman
Username: Detroitman

Post Number: 1035
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 6:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

City-owned slum awaits wreckers
Some residents welcome plans to rebuild Jeffries project
January 12, 2007

BY MARISOL BELLO and SUZETTE HACKNEY

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITERS
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070112/NEW S01/701120371

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1245
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the projects are dirty, why doesn't the government employ a janitorial crew?

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 137
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent. It's about time. Knock all that crap down.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2320
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I don't see how knocking them down will change a thing.

Maybe HUD doesn't like highrises anymore?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 216
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I forgot how close the Douglass projects are to all that Brush park development. It is good to fix in low income with other projects/neighborhoods, but not in the old high-rise fashion. Convert Douglass into $300,000 condos? Would be a nice view, but take a lot of work...

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HUD doesnt like high rises anymore. They realized how they concentrate poverty and crime.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 665
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Jeffries Homes now slated for demolition received a multi-million dollar renovation about a decade ago. Visit the place today and it is impossible to tell. Let's hope everybody, from HUD, to the Detroit Housing Commission, to the future residents do a better job of caring for the new homes so that the benefit of the tax money to be spent will not vanish again after only 10 years.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2053
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still remember when the Detroit housing commission building on Jefferson had a huge banner around it saying:

"Congratulation! The Detroit Housing Commission is no longer a troubled Housing Commission"

Or something like that. Aim high city government, aim high!

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 93
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So why aren't the people that wanted to make condos out of the cement silos preaching for these things to be saved?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1039
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where are these? I thought they made Woodbridge senior estates out of them

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2055
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The other side of the lodge.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2923
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that the article refers to the "lowrises" that are south of ML King.
Some of the highrises were demoed six or seven years ago.. Those suckers were extremely well built. I remember visiting a friend nearby during the demo and you could feel the ground vibrating as they pounded tons of poured concrete into rubble. Perhaps they would have made nice lofts, but selling condos in midcentury functionalist buildings that were part of what is considered a huge failure would have been a hard sell, I think...

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is this the townhouse-ish development that goes between MLK and Temple?

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 812
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

umm arent they the ones near 75 and 375 intersection near brewster rec center

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 516
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't you guys read the articles? It's there, in print, plain as day. Is this what they mean when they say that Detroit is 50% illiterate?

• Jeffries East. 252 row house units will be demolished and replaced by 188 low-income units. The new complex will mirror the Woodbridge Estates under construction across the Lodge Freeway. Construction is expected to begin by summer.

• Douglass Homes. 661 units, including towers and row houses, are considered obsolete because of outdated electrical and heating systems that are too costly to repair. HUD has been studying options and is expected to decide what to do in the next three to six months, officials said.

"Douglass Homes, with its bird's-eye view of Ford Field and Comerica Park just off the Chrysler Freeway..."

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5405
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slum clearance the gentrification for the doomed to failure Jeffries Housing Project is on the way. Megacondos for the lucky low-income Detroit families would a inner city masterpiece. Danny, The Ghettoman and his Street Prophets are feeling really sorry for the po'folks. This city changing and mostly Black residents who lived there MUST go along with the change.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 192
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1953, I'll agree that HUD hates the high rises, but look at how crappy they look after their done.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 150
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The revamped senior citizen ones in the Woodbridge area look much improved, especially with the added tops. Its too bad the area has to lose the high-rise density, but I suppose it is just too costly to fix these dirty, dangerous, buildings.

7milekid
Username: 7milekid

Post Number: 163
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tear that schitt down! and tiger stadium while your at it

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4755
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slums with central heating. Tear that mid-century modernist schitt down.

jjaba on the Westside, former Public Housing Commissioner.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5033
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, read some of the comments left on the Freep's messageboard. I don't know why I haven't got over it, but I want to strangle almost all of the posters that feel the need and safety of internet anonymity, to post the down-right racists and xenophobic comments they get away with posting. I can't imagine what many from out of state think when they read the internet comments left on these articles. They should do away with them altogether, for the simple fact that people can't seem to bring a maturing level above grade school to reading the paper.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2002
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It amazes me how people of public housing complain about the terrible conditions, yet they want to move back into the new units in the same depressed area.

If they were so poorly managed before, then why would anyone want to move back into the same situation, just with cleaner digs? Eventually, these new units will fall in disarray if run by the same management.

Also, if the same kind of people currently living in the projects are going to be living in the new projects, then aren't the problems with violence and drugs still going to be there, just with cleaner digs?

(Message edited by royce on January 12, 2007)

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1351
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

read some of the comments left on the Freep's messageboard

If they're as bad as you say, I think I'd rather not!

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 475
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone ever see the movie Candyman?

In the movie the main character lives in a "reclaimed" housing project that has been turned into high end condos. Candyman, Candyman, Candyman.....AHAHHH!

The Freeps comments have always been slightly above MAD Magazine standards. I think either the reader base is made up of country bumpkins or the only ones who feel the need to post comments on their site are high-school drop outs. If I didn't feel the need to stay informed about what the hell is happening in this city of ours I would never leave better or best

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 113
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 4:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone ever see the Taylor Homes in Chicago before they were demolished? Nearly 30,000 residents all in identical high-rises beside the Dirty Dan Ryan on the southside...the towers seemed to go on endlessly.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 830
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I remember the Robert Taylor Homes. They were easily visible from the Amtrak trains. From the train I also saw them demolished, one at a time. Wikipedia states it was once the largest housing project in the world: "It was composed of 28 high-rise buildings of 16 stories, mostly arranged in U-shaped clusters of three, stretching for two miles."

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2004
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one thing the Brush Park area will need is a nice park/playfield. There is a recreation center that is very popular in the area. Maybe the city can tear down the projects, but save the rec center and build a park/playfield around it to replace the old buildings.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.