Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Time Archive - Decline in Detroit 1961 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Resurget_cineribus
Username: Resurget_cineribus

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First I would like to say hello to the Detroityes world. And I would also like to contribute my first post. Lifelong Detroiter:-)

I came across this article today by Time magazine from 1961 entitled "Decline in Detroit". I don't know if it has been posted before. If it has been posted before chalk it up to a first timer's ignorance. It has been said that we learn about our future from our past.

It's somewhat odd because it reads like it was written just yesterday. We all have Ideas as to what has led to the decay that the city has experienced. Some like to make Coleman Young or the riot of '67 the culprit but this article pre-dates Young's term by 13years and the riots by six. What do we really need to truly resurget_cineribus (arise from the ashes)?
Are we headed in the right direction?

http://www.time.com/time/magaz ine/article/0,9171,873465,00.h tml

(Message edited by Resurget_cineribus on January 12, 2007)

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 151
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nice first post, thanks. If its been posted before, I havent read it in the 3 years ive been around here....

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 87
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Detroit admittedly has its problems—intelligent citizen interest and action can solve them. As I see it, the vital need now is for the people themselves to become interested in the community and government, and to take an active part in their affairs."

Guess intelligent citizen interest felt it was easier to move to the suburbs.

Thanks for the article and link!

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9159
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With a 50% illiteracy rate, I would suspect that only a small percentage of the population are actually intelligent which is another reason Detroit is still in the crapper.

edited for typo because this website has become too slow and convoluted due to the changing banner.

(Message edited by GOAT on January 12, 2007)

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting article, indeed. Louie Miriani ended up in prison, Cavanagh ended up dying young, and Hank the Deuce is long gone. Alas, it seems Detroit died also. At least major parts of it.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4753
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936 tells it like it tis.

goat tells it like it tis. jjaba has used several computer and the same results. Lowell really fouled it up. jjaba can't even see a cursor anymore and scrolling up and down is impossible. Any typos can't be corrected at all.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 88
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I view the Forum through:

https://www.atdetroit.net/cgi-bin/f oroum/discus.cgi?pg=topics

And do not have any problems. Using Windoze XP and FireFox Browser 1.5.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3432
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately 1961 was the year that Old City Hall came down, and also the year that the "impossibly wonderful Mayanesque"* Fisher Theatre was gutted for a modern playhouse.

* - Theater Historical Society quote.

7milekid
Username: 7milekid

Post Number: 156
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Conversation between my dad and the child version of myself circa 1990 while walking over the pedestrian bridge to tiger stadium. "Dad, why is Detroit so crappy compared to where we live?", he replies, "Because the Mayor is an Asshole." He aint never told a lie

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3578
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Blame the downfall on the People of Color and an CAY now. From what I read, seems to have begun (and on noticable scale) before:

1). Blacks became the majority on the city and

2). Coleman Young was mayor.

Seems as if two other mayors (Miriani and Cavanaugh) presided over the same things that we seem to see today. Now I wonder how Karl can spin this into an "african american holocaust who kills 58% of their unborn, who are also poor, impoverished and lazy is responsible for the downfall of the city"

This thread came right on time...

7milekid
Username: 7milekid

Post Number: 165
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what are you some kind of militant racist, makes me sick

Beavis1981
Username: Beavis1981

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

blah blah blah blacks vs whites whites vs blacks maybe this why our region is so fucked-up???? how just not even discussing blame? and as far as Coleman A. Young goes I'm white and as far as slimy politicians go he was fucking brillant he would swear and cuss to scare the whites and if you challenged him he would scream racism and that would be the end of it! never mind the fact he had cadillac limos and a million dollar war chest while the citizens were forced to deal with the crack epidemic because the police were way to lenient. GREATEST MAYOR OF ALL TIME next to marion berry of course.

p.s $20 says stupid cracka, and dumbass honky are part of stylins everyday vocabulary

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3579
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I am ask anyone on this forum who knows me newbie....

That goes to show how many of my posts you actually read...

If telling the truth makes me a racist, then I must bew a racist and self hating at the same time becuase I call out the some of the self inflicted issues of Black America @ the same time.

Before you bombard a target make sure it's in your crosshairs first...

(Message edited by Detroit_stylin on January 12, 2007)

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 2140
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm beginning to like this Beavis1981 guy.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3580
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

beavis do a forum search where I have ever called or referred white people in a derrogatory manner. If youa re going to make accusations, then that means that you immediately have the facts to back it up. The search link is right back there <<<<....

Now I expect to either see some evidence to give your accusation legs, or an apology for slander...

Beavis1981

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

btw just to piss you off I think I will get all of my "hood and cloak" skinhead buddys together on november 29th for a party because as we all know every white suburbanite is a detroit hating, card carrying klan member! now that i think of it july 23rd would be a good date too
two wrongs don't make a right but its fun to watch people de-rail over nothing

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 5763
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ ^ ^ Poor booboo. ^ ^ ^

Once again, stylin is unable to examine what is the problem TODAY and how can it be solved NOW so that moving forward the FUTURE might be better for him and the citizens of DETROIT.

Beavis, I don't know stylin personally, but from reading these threads, he loves to live in the past as far as woe-is-me-if-I'm-black, offers no solution for the future except for one thing: he's fishing for reparations and government handouts for himself and the COD.

Then, and only then, is there sorta maybe a kinda thought that we might just sorta kinda talk about change but first show stylin the money.

Ignore his demands for "evidence" and his acusations of "slander" - they're meant to send you running down a rabbithole and waste time. Focus on the future and solutions, not the whiney past which none of us can change, but stylin hopes someone will use as an excuse to send money.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3581
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beavis you did not answer my question....
quote where I referred to anyone (but better yet let me make myself clear) unjustifiably (meaning that their actions and words didnt call for it, or demonstrate it), and if you can then quote it.

In other words, unless I just blatantly came out and shouted something to the effect of "Kill Whitey", but more or less discussed your roles in the politics of this country or your roles in the checkered history (once again since we read what we want to read) as well as our own roles of racial relations then your claim to call me a racist militant was way off the mark and completly uncalled for.

But of course, since 2 wrongs dont make a right you may as well throw a third one in right...

Beavis1981

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't need to do a search just a week ago you talking about how karl wished we could go back to the "hood and cloak" days then you cleverly spelled a few words that started with Cs with Ks and as far as slander goes I bet $20 and have yet to confirm it
just throwing it out there....

dance my prettys dance-stewie griffin

Beavis1981

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't call you racist militant that was the other guy

Beavis1981

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

on a side note do you even know what happened on these dates?

Beavis1981

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh yeah "my role" in politics? this is why your no better than white people who make rash generalizations my family roots date back no later than 1890s in america we came from germany origanaly
so we were here long after slavery just farmers in trenton so we had no role in the white flight or the riots. oh just for fun heres some ammo for you- my great,great,great,great grandfather i'm really not sure how many greats was a personal bodyguard for kaiser wilhelm the 2nd (the guy who started WW1)

Beavis1981

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks hysteria

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 473
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so what's so special about those dates?

November 29th in History
1864: 1,200 American troops attack a camp of Cheyenne and Arapho indians who had surrended

November 29 - The slave ship Zong dumps its living cargo into the sea in order to claim insurance.

November 29 - The name "Micro-soft" (for microcomputer software) is used by Bill Gates in a letter to Paul Allen for the first time (Microsoft becomes a registered trademark on November 26, 1976).

The 12th Street Riot in Detroit began in the early morning hours of Sunday, July 23, 1967.

July 23 - In St. Louis, Missouri, Charles E. Menches invents the ice cream cone during the Louisiana Purchase Exposition.

July 23 - Dr. Ernst Pfenning of Chicago becomes the first owner of a Ford Model A.

Which one were you referring to?

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 268
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The solution was given 46 years ago and nobody listened.

Henry Ford II: "Detroit admittedly has its problems—intelligent citizen interest and action can solve them. As I see it, the vital need now is for the people themselves to become interested in the community and government, and to take an active part in their affairs."

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1516
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice article, Resurget_cineribus.

Now you just have to dig up the Life or Look article from the 40's or so which listed Highland Park as the "Suburb of the Year". :-) I've heard mention of this article a few times, but have never been able to find a real reference to it.

Karl

Post Number: 5766
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Henry Ford II said it wisely so as not to draw criticism - "interested in the community" and "take an active part in their affairs" is impossible if one doesn't include their personal life.

Ford provided a key part of the family puzzle - a job that paid well, and in the end provided a rich retirement. He was wise in that while he made sure Ford was "interested in the community and govt and took an active part in their affairs" he kept his distance by living in GP and working in Dearborn.

Many Detroiters took the fruits of the opportunity Ford provided and chose to enrich the Chambers brothers instead of pouring their time and effort into their families.

BTW, why do you think that Dearborn did and does so well at this game, while their next door neighbor Detroit did and does so poorly?

Karl

Post Number: 5767
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I recall correctly, Dearborn also had a longtime mayor, Orville Hubbard, who at one time was the longest-running US mayor (42 years?) could this have had something to do with Dearborn's success? Like Coleman Young, he was a long-time public servant and obviously was popular to be re-elected so many times.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5035
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Hitler was popular, too. Please, you're trolling, as usual.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 390
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 4:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah citing Hubbard as anything but a racist bastard is pushing it Karl. And has Dearborn really succeeded far more than Detroit? Really?

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 793
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 5:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Conversation between my dad and the child version of myself circa 1990 while walking over the pedestrian bridge to tiger stadium. "Dad, why is Detroit so crappy compared to where we live?", he replies, "Because the Mayor is an Asshole." He aint never told a lie

7milekid,

I don't want to insult your dad, but that statement is overly simplistic and ignorant. As Detroit_stylin correctly pointed out:

quote:

From what I read, (the deline of Detroit) seems to have begun (and on noticable scale) before:

1). Blacks became the majority on the city and

2). Coleman Young was mayor.

Seems as if two other mayors (Miriani and Cavanaugh) presided over the same things that we seem to see today.

7milekid,

Your dad may blame Coleman Young as the cause of all Detroit's problems, but that doesn't make it true.

When Detroit_stylin pointed out the fact that Detroit's decline started long before CAY became mayor, this was your response:

quote:

what are you some kind of militant racist, makes me sick

7milekid,

The only thing worse than your dad's ignorant 1990 statement is the fact that you are repeating it seventeen years later. You have easy access to a wealth of knowledge that was unavailable to your dad when he was your age. You have posting on this site for awhile, so I assume that you have a real interest in Detroit, and you aren't here just to insult and flame.

If you really want to understand Detroit, the first step is to set aside the preconceived notions, and start looking at reality.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5037
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 6:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But, what can Detroit detractors have if they can have their go-to scapegoats: Coleman Young and "those people"? Oh yeah, they may actually be forced to recognize that the reasons for Detroit's decline started long before either of those two factors "happened" to the city. Detroit's middle class flight began moving out of the city even before the 50's. The riots and Coleman just gave them the perfect excuse they needed to accelerate the looting of Detroit.

Karl

Post Number: 5769
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7milekid:

I suggest that you pick up an out-of-print copy of "Quotations of Mayor Coleman Young" and I think you will see that your Dad was right.

Coleman Young didn't start Detroit's demise, but if anyone drove the nails in the coffin (over a very long period of time) it was Coleman Young.

The post-war boom, and apparently a perception (true or not) that Detroit was becoming unsafe were the factors that drove folks from the COD after WWII. People were tired of shortages, and the newer, more spacious suburbs were just the answer.

Lmichigan's silly quote: "The riots and Coleman just gave them the perfect excuse they needed to accelerate the looting of Detroit." blames everyone except the core problem: the breakdown of the nuclear family. Had it been intact the Chambers brothers would not have been able to come in and continue the massacre.

Back to Dearborn - looting there? Did the Chambers brothers impact the place? How about the "slums" - how do they compare to Detroit? And that is just one example. All areas have their problems, but Detroit's are a very special case.

Yet still these threads barely whisper toward the real problem. No discussion of Bill Cosby's speeches and writings. Drugs? Murders? Terrible, but ho hum. But chew on the war/conservatives/Christians/R epublicans a bit? Out come the natives with pitchforks & torches.

So carry on, Detroit. As I've said, if you keep on doing what you're doing, you'll keep on getting what you've got.

And 7milekid, ignore them when they whine about "trolls" - it's just one more distraction to avoid dealing with real problems.

Please say hello to your Dad. Again, he was right. You'll find many Detroiters are jealous or resentful of Dads because they didn't have one.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 270
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could also say that citing Coleman Young as anything but a racist bastard is pushing it.

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 65
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, Resurget: Aren't you glad you finally joined the forum?

River_rat
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 251
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

None of this would ever have happened had Albert E. Cobo survived to continue as mayor.

Karl

Post Number: 5774
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

River, perhaps you could post some history about Cobo. If Detroit looked like Dearborn today (few if any slums, producing factories, nice neighborhoods and schools, safe streets) would certain Detroiters label him as a racist bas****?

Interesting discussion here, whining about this and that for the reason Detroit has been in ruins for 40 years, while Chicago, New York and other downtowns are thriving - with sky-high property prices and crowded department stores who didn't do nearly as well as Hudsons during Hudson's heyday.

Still no substantive discussion on the root issues and how they can be solved in the future, like ignoring it will make it get better and/or go away.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1598
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl that discussion has been had here over the years while you were busy on the other board

Of industrial cities that have lost most of their core industry I'd say Pittsburgh is the one that's bounced back the best. Detroit had economic diversity before the rise of the auto industry and is now struggling to rediversify following the radical efficiencies achieved in the auto industry.

Resurget_cineribus
Username: Resurget_cineribus

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quite interesting thoughts, from the illiteracy rate, Colman Young, riots, crime, etc. but the fact remains that we are (as a region) in this boat together. And we (as a region) have tough issues to resolve. White or black, poor or rich city dweller or suburbanite. There are to many things at stake for all of us (the Hatfields and the Macoys) if we do not begin to do what some have done and bridge the great divide and reckon with ourselves and the realities of our past.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2928
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

some thoughts from a guy who lived through the decline of Detroit, and stuck around to try to make it better:

Those words "intelligent citizen interest and action can solve them" (problems) ring true, and I've put a few years of my life into making the city better, starting on my own block.
Of course, for all of my life, I've been hearing the words of chickenshits who "cut and ran" when things got difficult, and the words of know-it-all putzes who simplified the problems of the city into "It's Coleman's fault".
Coleman Young was a hero for his actions in WW2 and his actions standing up to Joe McCarthy's unamerican witch hunts...But perhaps battling hard core racism and government persecution scarred him, because he was the about the worst mayor in my lifetime. But he used the divisions in society brilliantly to further his power. Perhaps if he had served only a couple terms, it would have been better.
I only say that becuase Mirihani, surely worse than Coleman, was mayor before I was alive...But Mirihani ruled at a time when the city was prosperous, and money can always buy lots of air freshener to cover the smell of shit.
I'm not happy with Kwame, either, which leads me to conclude that the only mayor in my lifetime that I actually liked was Dennis Archer.
Blame it on poor decisions made by a poorly informed citizenry...
This is not just a Detroit thing...
The only presidents that I did not find totally repugnant in my lifetime were Ford, Carter and Clinton...

Karl

Post Number: 5784
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ ^ ^ Good example of ignoring the elephant in the livingroom. ^ ^ ^

Note absolutely no mention of parenting, homes, even schools.

Instead, it is all about government. Sorry, but here's how it works: CAY and other mayors are where the buck stops when the streets aren't fixed or the cops don't show up. But he has absolutely no responsibility for kids who are on the streets with no accountibility. No mention of roles churches can play (thriving in the good old days, many closing as we speak)

Finally, the mother's milk of liberal politics appears as Barnes says: "Mirihani ruled at a time when the city was prosperous, and money can always buy lots of ...."

So if there's a problem, money will solve it. Shallow thinking, and proven wrong many times over.

Keep cleaning up the park, Barnes - and the potluck for the neighbors is great. But as long as unsupervised kids are buying/selling crack/meth in the neighborhood, all your efforts will be for naught.

Beavis1981

Post Number: 46
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you got it bussey with the riots but i was just being a asshole with the other one 10yrs ago november 29th cay kicked the bucket

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 182
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Poor, uneducated parents make poor uneducated children.
Give them a free ride and they will take it every time.

Gistok

Post Number: 3434
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread sure took an ugly turn... sounds almost as bad as those in Non-Detroit Issues.

Kathinozarks... I have to disagree with you on that comment. My parents were German immigrants... dad had a 6th grade education, mom an 8th grade one. And yet my brother, sister and I all ended up with bachelor and master degrees.

Karl

Post Number: 5789
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathinozarks, you've contradicted yourself after your post on another thread where you related to us about your father losing his hand. Are you the offspring of poor parents - not sure about education - who worked hard, stayed together, took care of their stuff, etc etc?? I suspect you are educated & prosperous, despite your parents possibly being both poor and uneducated? Perhaps not, but please clarify.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1289
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would be interested to know what people who lived in Detroit as adults during the terms of Cobo, Miriani, Cavanagh, Gribbs and Young thought of each of them: how they would rate each of those mayors.

I remember both Miriani and Cavanagh (pre-'67 riot) as being very popular at the time they were in office.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5407
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who raped Detroit?

Is it SEGREGATION, FREEWAYS, XENOPHOBIA, WHITE FIGHT, ECONOMIC FLIGHT, NEW SUBURBS, ECONOMIC FLIGHT, 1967 RIOTS, COLEMAN YOUNG, GROWING BLACK POPULATION, CRACK EPIDEMIC, HOMICIDES, POOR PUBLIC SCHOOLS, GENTRIFICATION, SLUM CLEARANCE, BLACK FLIGHT, KING KWAME KILPATRICK?

The answer is all of the above!

If all those problems didn't happen. Then Detroit would a nice hip cool ethnic diverse place to live and the population should be like this:

DETROIT 2006 CENSUS:

45% WHITE

30% BLACK

22% HISPANIC

1% ASIAN

1% OTHER

But its not going to happen today.

Beavis1981

Post Number: 47
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and coming soon to a neighborhood near you-methamphetamine if you thought crack was bad wait for the tweekers running around at all hours of the night trying to get away from the "shadow people"

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2930
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if meth hasn't arrived by now, I think that it has passed us by...perhaps the popularity of crack, heroin and Colt 45 make it unnecessary.
I wonder how many crackhouses Herr Troll has boarded, and how many derelict buildings Herr Troll has rehabbed? A wild guess says that my score is higher.
Surely, such a knowitall could do wonders here, but it would mean coming out from under his bridge, and after years in the darkness, surely the light would blind him!
Talk is cheap, and actions speak louder than words.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1043
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stephanie Tanner from Full House was a meth addict. Joey GLadstone (SCS)had an intervention for her

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 184
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok and Karl,

You both are right. My post was a simple thought which came to mind quickly and instead of thinking about it for a minute or two I just typed. I try to think about what I'm posting most of the time as I wish to be clear.

I was, however, thinking of the many families I am aware of who start with low I.Q. parents. I see them all the time where I live (mostly poor, rural). I am generalizing, but their children also have low I.Q.'s.

Karl, thank you for remembering the story of my grandfather. He and my grandmother weren't college educated, I guess they had average I.Q.'s. Very prideful, hardworking German folk. You just have to succeed and continue on when things get tough.

You know, Karl, it seems so easy for me to take care of my stuff, make money when I need to and have a good sense of self. I guess I was taught well and am lucky.
Also, no one in my family has had a problem with addiction, so we dodged a bullet there, too.

Btw, my grandfather's name was Karl also. :-)

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 394
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We'd be denser than NYC if we had that population of nearly 4 million now Danny, but you never know by 2050 that might be a reality.

And I agree that meth has more than likely (fortunately) passed up by. Not to sound racist at all but meth is more so a white guy drug, kind of like acid and ex.

(Message edited by mayor_sekou on January 14, 2007)

Karl

Post Number: 5792
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not quite, Mayor.

After checking several sources, here are some rough stats:

Detroit (city) 138 sq miles, pop. 888,000
Detroit (metro area) 2026 sq miles

NYC (city) 23 sq miles, pop. 8,000,000
NYC (metro area) 368 sq miles

So - regarding population:
Detroit to world: BRING IT ON!

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 399
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I meant if we had 4 million like Danny guesstimates we would have if it werent for all the problems we have had in the past. But your right bring on the people.

Karl

Post Number: 5797
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathinozarks said: "Btw, my grandfather's name was Karl also"

Well, that explains his intelligence, caring attitude, and good looks:-)

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 2150
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5039
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl, just a correction. You listed NYC's square mileage for it's metro area size. NYC's Metro square mileage is 6,720 square miles while the city is 468 square miles (303.3 square miles of land, the rest water).

Karl

Post Number: 5803
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is a bit unclear, Lmich. It appears that Manhattan is approx 23-30 sq miles with 8M population. Just trying to get perspective to Detroit. Can you clarify?

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 403
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Manhattan is I believe 26 sq. miles with 1.5 million, the rest of the boroughs bring NYC total to 8.1 million in 303.3 sq miles. Their metro I believe has 21 million by far the largest in the country.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 215
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's about correct. Karl, Manhattan is a very small borough, compared to Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens, and Staten Island.

Staten Island, where I am from, is 60.9 square miles, but only with about 450,000 people. That's why Staten Island is the least "city" like of the five boroughs, and why it looks more like a crowded suburb than a city.

The Bronx total is 44 square miles. Brooklyn is 81.8 square miles, while Queens is 112.2 square miles. Manhattan is 23.7 square miles.

The total of the five boroughs are now estimated to have about 8.2 million people.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2037
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayour Sekou is correct re: NYC, but I had always heard the metropolitan area is more like 14 million. I guess it depends which counties you consider.

Gistok

Post Number: 3436
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes it was always interesting to see that very dense Manhattan was only the 3rd most populous of 5 NYC boroughs.

Brooklyn and Queens each have over 2 million people, and are the most populous boroughs (in that order).

Karl

Post Number: 5806
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So that makes Detroit a density of 6,400/sq mi and NYC incl the 5 boroughs 26,400/sq mi

Beavis1981

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry forgot about this thread mayor you are partially right meth is a "white drug" because luckily it has been portrayed as the choice drug of toothless trailer trash and nobody wants to be toothless trailer trash but it has not by any means passed us by it just hasn't got here yet the potential for this is explosive just based on profit margin any moron with basic understanding of high school science and $100 to invest can make about $10,000 in product in about 3 days as soon as somebody succesfully markets it as cocaine but better we are screwed! the high is the same if not better and it last for hours instead of minutes ecstasy (mdma) is relatively safe in pure form but is now being cut with meth so that is also helping to steer people away from it. that and unlike coke or heroin most michigan meth is "home-grown" so we haven't seen trafficking from mexico like california and the south west

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 466
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DetroitYES - Uniting the International Family of Street Drug & Urban Density "Experts"

Beavis1981

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol you got it

Beavis1981

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kinda like hot fudge uniting the internatonal community of homeless voyeurs and ss haters

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.