Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » I love Detroit. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Benjamin
Username: Benjamin

Post Number: 156
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've had quite the hiatus, but I've been spending the last couple of days looking at this site again, and I'm still in love. Detroit is really such a wonderful place.

I remember there was a time when all I'd do on my spares was go down to the library and post here. Read here, browse elsewhere. I still want to - and plan to - move to Detroit, but I've given up any delusions of heading there without heading to university first (I can't in the states, reasonably, and the U of Windsor doesn't attract me at all - plus they don't offer urban planning).

This is a beautiful city.

Benjamin A. Vazquez, U.E.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11114
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can say that again. Was great to meet you a few years at the picnic.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1863
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Benjamin!!

Happy New Year!!! Nice to know that you are still with us!! We enjoy hearing what you are up to, so let us know where you decide to go for university. And when your next visit to Detroit is.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 223
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are scores of Canadians (I assume that is to what you are referring) at the University of Detroit Mercy. A lot of them are actually athletes as Canadians universities don't offer them scholarships. But regardless, it might be worth a check if you are set on going to school in the D. Plus, it is a private school so it is the same price regardless of where you are coming from (no stupid international student designation).

Benjamin
Username: Benjamin

Post Number: 157
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My intention is to study in Montreal, the city after Detroit I would most like to be in. Ideally I want to do a double masters at McGill - Masters in Architecture, Masters in Urban Planning. The whole ensemble would take eight years to complete, at the end of which I'd want to move back to the lakes.

I'm in Detroit on a fairly regulaur basis visiting family and friends, but they're all north of Eight Mile (Oakland Township, Clarkston, Troy, Roseville, a couple of other places), and heading downtown seems to get squeezed out so often.

Benjamin A. Vazquez, U.E.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 230
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, I do see. Eight years? Those must be quite the programs. Unless you are dead set on going to school for eight years, I would recommend that you pick your favorite degree of those two and finish that out first. The reason is that both of those are professional degrees, and there is sort of no reason to have both of them. In many cases in my architecture profession these two overlap, but I noticed the same as well during my education at university. Basically if you like on of those enough, there is no need to get a second as it will certainly be more costly. Also, once you enter professional practice, many employers (at least state-side) will cover certain costs of further education or second degrees. I guess that I was just getting pretty anxious to start working once I had completed my Masters of Arch. degree and I couldn't have imagined going to school three more years on top of what I had done. Now after having worked in an architecture office a bit I have a better feel for what sort of degree I might want to persue next...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.