Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » A little bit of Illitch repression « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1044
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/in dex.php/hockey/comments/ilitch _celebrates_yzerman_desecrates _aurie/

I do not understand Illitch's motifs

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 233
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So this is all a true story? If so, there must be another side to it.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 454
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Surely you understand Ilitch's ubiquitous motifs?
little caesars logo

However, I'm not sure what his motives are for rewriting Red Wing franchise history.

(Message edited by Mikeg on January 14, 2007)

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 160
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too wonder what Ilitch's side to this story is. Seems like there's no reason for this.

Scottr

Post Number: 161
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the Wings' official site, the number was never 'officially' retired, although only his nephew has worn the number since. Other sources do claim that Norris did officially retire it, which would seem to concur with what the Official NHL Guide and Record Book.

This article doesn't mention that in the 90's, the wings actually did announce that they would NOT formally retire the number, but would "keep the number out of circulation to respect the memory of Aurie. It was discussed and determined by the Red Wings that the jersey will not be hung up." The article makes it seem like the wings won't even acknowledge the question.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 745
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a Ilitch Motif? do you mean motive?

One motif would certainly be Foxtown, another would be Ilitch Village!

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1360
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A motif is a perceivable or salient recurring fragment or succession of notes that may be used to construct the entirety or parts of complete melodies and themes. A motif is distinguished from a figure in that a motif is foreground while a figure is background: "A figure resembles a moulding in architecture: it is 'open at both ends', so as to be endlessly repeatable. In hearing a phrase as a figure, rather than a motif, we are at the same time placing it in the background, even if it is...strong and melodious." (Scruton 1997: 61) A motif may be harmonic, melodic (pitch) and/or rhythmic (duration).

A motif thematically associated with a person, place, or idea is called a leitmotif.

A phrase originally presented or heard as a motif may become a figure which accompanies another melody, such as in the second movement of Claude Debussy's String Quartet (1893):

Debussy String Quartet second movement opening

Probably the most famous example of musical motif is in Beethoven's Fifth Symphony, in which the pattern of three notes followed by one long one is present throughout.

Beczar
Username: Beczar

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scottr,
I am the writer of both the presently-debated article and the 1997 Free Press article which included the Jimmy Devellano quote: "keep the number out of circulation to respect the memory of Aurie. It was discussed and determined by the Red Wings that the jersey will not be hung up." Devellano's above quote was a preceed to my "why?" question, which led to his explanation about the team's reluctance to hang the number because Aurie is not in the Hockey Hall of Fame. I responded by saying that, first of all, the number is already retired so there should be no reason for not hanging the number. Secondly, I told his that several of the NHL already-retired numbers were players who are not HHOF. He listened to my response, but instead of responding to my plain logic, simply restated that the team would "keep the number out of circulation to respect the memory of Aurie." The surviving family members have said that the above Devellano statement does not clarify anything and is - anything - disrespectful, that Aurie's number not being hung is a direct slap in the face to his memory and legacy - not a respectful action by the Ilitches.
The Ilitches have never responded to the question, only Devellano has given quotes, and those were back in 1997.

Also, the Wings website also got wrong the fact that Aurie's cousin Cummy Burton (not his nephew) wore the jersey in 1958 and '59 - with the family's blessing.

Scottr

Post Number: 162
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for clearing that up, Beczar. I personally feel that the 'not in the Hall of Fame' excuse is pathetic, and Hall of Fame acceptance should not be a prerequisite for having a number hung from the rafters. I do support you, but wanting some more information, I did some further searching on the web, and merely mentioned here what i found. Note that i tried to keep it neutral by also mentioning that the Wings site seemed to be wrong by claiming it wasn't officially retired when other sources said it was. I also later found that the official retirement in 1938 was mentioned in several prominent newspapers at the time, and not just Detroit papers. Please don't take my post as a lack of support - I certainly don't agree with the Wings' decision and hope to see this corrected soon.

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 215
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vladdys' number #16 is also retired out of respect.

Beczar

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did not take it as a lack of support, Scottr! I, too, was just trying to clarify the situation. Trust me: this whole ordeal has been totally frustrating and heartbreaking to the family, who one by one are dying off (three since 1997). Three years ago, I got a contact name within "Ilitch Holdings", someone with guaranteed access to Mike Ilitch. I phoned him, explained who I was and who gave me his name, then after he joked that he was not "a miracle worker", I explained the nature of my call. He said that he knew nothing about the Aurie situation and asked me to email and/or fax some information on the subject matter I had sent. I sent him much info, and he called to let me know he received the info and seemed very upbeat about the Aurie subject. He also told me that he'd contact me after he spoke to Ilitch about things....Well, he never called back or emailed back, despite my two returns calls and emails. My guess is that Ilitch - for whatever reason - put a lid on him, as he tried to do with me and Aurie family members when he tried to have us arrested in Dec. 1999 in front of Hockeytown Cafe, as we were simply and lawfully passing Aurie info to people in the area. Another person familiar with Mike Ilitch told me that "he does not like to be told what to do". Quite a sad commentary all the way around...

Beczar

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tarkus: Vladdy's number 16 is not being issued presently, but it is not "officially" anything, at least on the record.

Scottr: Another example of Mike Ilitch's convoluted logic regarding the Wings' "reluctance to hang Aurie's number because he is not in the Hockey Hall of Fame" is the fact that Ilitch retired Willie Horton's Detroit Tigers No. 23 in July 2000, and Horton is NOT a member of the Baseball Hall of Fame. Ilitch simply wanted to honor Horton - a Detroit native and 1968 World Series hero, the same exact action taken by James Norris in 1938 when, as Red Wings owner, he retired Aurie's No. 6. So why won't Ilitch honor Norris' action?? No one knows, and he's not talking. ARGH-GH-GH!

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1045
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 3:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it does not make any sense What would it hurt?

Beczar

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My feelings exactly...I would be willing to even pay for the banner, if cost is an issue (???)...

Tonyh
Username: Tonyh

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Source: http://www.dailytribune.com/st ories/010707/spo_macleod001.sh tml

A online petition has been started, please visit the petition and sign if you feel this great Red Wing has been overlooked for to long. http://www.gopetition.com/onli ne/10820.html

A Professional Hockey Player. Also known as "Little Dempsey" and "The Little Rag Man." A native of Sudbury, Ontario, Aurie played the position of Right Wing. At 5'06, and 148lbs, Aurie was one of the smallest men to play in the National Hockey League (NHL), but he was also one of the toughest of his era. He began his career playing for such minor teams as the Sudbury Club Wolves, St. Michael's Majors, Sudbury Wolves, Galt Terriers, and the London Panthers, before entering the NHL in 1927.

In the NHL he played for the Detroit Cougars from 1927 to 1930, Detroit Falcons from 1930 to 1932, and the Detroit Red Wings from 1932 to 1939. Originally signed by Jack Adams in 1927, he went onto become the Detroit Red Wings team captain and helped them to win two Stanley Cup championships in 1936 and 1937. He was also part of the famous 'puck line' that included Marty Barrie and Herbie Lewis. He broke his leg during a game in the 1936 to 1937 season, and eventually had to retire after the 1938 to 1939 season, with the Pittsburgh Hornets.

A year after retiring he returned to hockey, and played with and coached the Pittsburgh Hornets of the IAHL and AHL from 1939 to 1944. Aurie was named as a Member of the NHL First All-Star Team in 1937, and as a Member of the IAHL Second All-Star Team in 1939. On December 12, 1952, while driving his car in Detroit, Michigan, he suffered a massive stroke and died at the age of 47. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi- bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=147959 50

More Links: http://www.kuklaskorner.com/in dex.php/hockey/comments/ilitch _celebrates_yzerman_desecrates _aurie/ http://www.technorati.com/sear ch/Larry+Aurie?from=http://leg endsofhockey.blogspot.com&sub= searchlet

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.