Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » First Congregational Unitarian Church (Woodward and Edmund Place) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 400
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To hang out a neighborly 'street sign' to a worthwhile destination, which I hope Lowell doesn't mind, here's a heads-up that the urban explorer at detroitblog has a fresh post with 10 pix of First Congregational Unitarian Church on Woodward . . .
quote:

. . . halfway between Midtown and Downtown, and midway between life and death.

I know his verbal flourishes (excesses?) aren't to everyone's taste, and even I wince at "the ruins of a once-flowering civilization," but I admire the evocative images and the power of vivid language such as this:
quote:

The contrast between the past and present of the church -- and the city, for that matter -- couldn’t be more stark, and the reminder of all that has been lost couldn’t be more sad.

As always, be sure to come back here after visiting!

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 879
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think he got the name wrong. Should be just Congregational, no Unitarian in there.

http://detroit1701.org/FirstCo ngregational.htm

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3554
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hadn't realized that church had gone abandoned.

No problem linking to that site Realitycheck. It occurs here all the time and his site has been on my Detroit Links list for a long time.

His pictures and text are excellent and, while some are sure to object to trespass and potential breaking and entering violations, I have to admit to the guilty pleasure of viewing what he presents.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 154
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I never knew it was abandoned either. Appears to be in decent condition still from driving by.

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 342
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam, you are talking about the wrong church.

Artistic
Username: Artistic

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know who owns that church? Is it for sale? It would make a great restoration project. Just a thought.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1865
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Realitycheck, for the alert. This is one church that, beyond its exterior, is largely a mystery!!

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1601
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Ann Arbor a couple of the nicer churches have been converted to office space - law firms, architects, and the like, but I haven't been in them enough to know how they've handled the sanctuary spaces.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 993
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i believe the former congregation owns it, artistic. it is for sale. i believe it is listed at around $880k and the agent is chris monsour.

Artistic

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Rsa for the information

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 994
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no problem.

i just had a chance to read the entry. things apparently have gotten really bad, really quick. when i walked thru in the fall the building was sealed up quite well and there was very little damage. here's my picture from then with all of the organ pipes intact: organ

the stained glass windows that he speaks of were sold off when the church of christ left the space. i believe the DIA has all but one of them somewhere. rumor has it that the only one they don't have was accidentally broken during removal, but that's only hearsay.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9160
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing is scared to the addicts. How sad?
Even in those pictures the church is still in decent shape. Sadly, the building will go down hill very quickly due to the weather (especially spring).

Artistic

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I toured the Carlton Lofts this past fall and noticed a Church on the corner of Woodward and ??? in Brush Park. I believe it was for sale, is this that church?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7863
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know every inch of this building...used to be an active member when it was The Church in the City, associated with David and Gary Wilkerson of NYC.

Breaks my heart to see it this way.

Big room would make a great recording hall.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2932
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there's a bit of a mixup here..the church that Pam posted is hardly abandoned...The one that the Detroitblog guy posted is further south on Woodward...both are built out of beautiful stone...one is reddish, the other more purplish.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 881
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

there's a bit of a mixup here..the church that Pam posted is hardly abandoned...The one that the Detroitblog guy posted is further south on Woodward

Chow already pointed out my mistake. The names confused me. I didn't know there was ever a First Congregational Unitarian, I had just heard of First Congregational.

Detroite
Username: Detroite

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone ever met the man-the myth-the legend Chris Monsour? I can't leave my apartment without being bombarded with his realty signs. That guy must get to see all the cool buildings he lists, lucky.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 216
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is really a shame, and highlights that there is much progress to be made in Brush Park. Personally, I think it is extremely important that this church be saved and rehabilitated in one form or another, both to save a historical building, and to help encourage residential growth in the area. It will be much more difficult for realtors to sell some of the new housing in Brush Park when there is a such a home for crackheads so close.

What is odd is that last summer when I visited Brush park and took some pictures, I did not notice the church at all, but did notice the other one. I will have to check it out (from the outside) next time.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.