Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Motown Winter Blast « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jenay
Username: Jenay

Post Number: 177
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They still haven't updated their website yet. It's driving me bonkers. 'Plans for 2007 coming soon.'

Oops... it's now called the Detroit Winter Blast.

(Message edited by Jenay on January 16, 2007)

Scs_scooter
Username: Scs_scooter

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I rec'd an email around the 8th of January asking if I wanted to volunteer again. Of course I responded with a big YES...haven't heard a thing since. They said the Blast is February 9, 10 and 11. Just keeping my fingers crossed!!

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 188
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been checking the site quite frequently as well, and, although they still have not listed most information, dates were provided today. Look at "Music Stages", etc. and you'll see that deadlines have now been posted.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 300
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<object><param></param><param> </param><embed></embed></objec t>

/\ /\ /\ (me trying to embed movie...) if it doesn't work, just copy and paste link below...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =vUUTLu76hxY&NR

video about it from Jan. 2nd... but i'll also embed it...

Skipp
Username: Skipp

Post Number: 111
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another good reason to visit the winterblast.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=2007701100331

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 400
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like

Bigjeff
Username: Bigjeff

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or possibly this is another good reason. Way before my time though.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070117/ENT 07/70117021

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4298
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 2:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bravo to the people for getting it off the ground again.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2310
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only detail about Detroit's Winter Blast that I know for sure is that Detroit Synergy has been asked to do another version Shop Detroit for all three days.

Scs_scooter
Username: Scs_scooter

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yipee!! Rec'd my email today asking me to register for my shifts for the Winter Blast. It's almost here!!

Jenay
Username: Jenay

Post Number: 178
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woo wee! They finally updated the website!

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 419
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, they must have been in quite a hurry to get the info up on that site, because in reading through just a few different areas, i found lots of misspelled words and other very obvious errors.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11172
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, I really hate the comments added to every Freep article online. However, at the bottom of the story about Question Mark somebody added a comment "Fire Millen." I had to chuckle, am I going to hell?

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 328
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone going this weekend? I'm torn between the Winter Blast and the MSU-UM hockey game. I guess it will depend on the temperature. It sounds stupid, but it's too cold for a winter blast unless it warms up a little.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 258
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whats there to be torn about?!?!? Both are in Downtown Detroit on the same weekend. Do both. I am

Wash_man

Post Number: 329
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going with a group and not all want to attend both. I think I will end up at both. Blast during the day, game at night. GO GREEN!

Knocturnal

Post Number: 191
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be in attendance with a group as well, going to both the blast and the game. Looking forward to this weekend.

Bigjeff

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<----Will be in attendance with many "suburbanites." I'm even looking at a few residence downtown. This is one suburbanite that with every trip is both intrigued and astonished with Downtown Detroit!!!

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 203
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigjeff there are about 4 units for sale in my building !!!!!!!
www.lelandlofts.com

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 138
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

man. by and large, with a few exceptions, that is a lame-o music lineup(classic Witz). It's like the Arts Beats and Eats local roster. If you have ever been in a bar with a band playing in metroit over the past 10 years, there's a good chance you have seen many of the "headliners."

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 94
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope your few exceptions at least include the Twistin' Tarantulas and The Reefermen.

Pistol Pete... Now that guy can slap a bass.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 265
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Umm, there was no one there last night! Greektown on a normal night has more ppl than it did last night. Completely empty! Disapointment...

If they do this next year, they need to coordinate it with the Auto Show like year number 1

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 103
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they do this next year, they need to coordinate it with God so its not so damn cold.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 456
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Winter=cold! It is better that it be cold than warm, is it not?

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just in case you haven't seen the Campus Martius web cam, here it is.

http://campusmartiuspark.org/w ebcam.htm

(Message edited by hans57 on February 10, 2007)

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1330
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it was pretty well attended last night. There were a lot of people walking around. Saw Question Mark and the Mysterians last night and they were great! The comfort level inside the tent, which was packed, was more than adequate.

Can't believe someone would complain about the temperature. This is Michigan. It gets cold in the winter. When it gets cold, you get to have snow. Snow means a more aesthetically-pleasant Winter Blast. And so it goes.

Cold temperatures build character. Tough it out. If you can't handle the cold, move to some lame place like Florida or Arizona. Sheesh.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 458
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like a good bit of people to me, esp. for being WINTER on the WEEKEND in downtown Detroit.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 459
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WWJ is down there too broadcasting

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1138
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My coworkers went to see the Tarantulas last night and said there were a lot of people.

Supersport

Post Number: 11234
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Attendance seemed way down last night, but Twisted Tarantula played to a packed tent. The rink was packed with people all night as well. There was a bar crawl last night as well in which was $5 to be part of, they provided the shuttle bus. Seemed like a really good turnout for that, as the bars that were participating were all packed with people. I closed the night out at Cheli's, which was packed as 2 am approached. Normally, they close at 12 on Fridays, so the crawl really benefitted them. All was good, till the drunk crawler a few seats down decided to throw up on the bar. Somebody buy that guy another shot! lol

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1033
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Cold temperatures build character.

I like this. Future Mich. advertising slogan/bumper sticker?
:-)

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1124
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

downtown is packed right now!

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are some of the good musical acts to try out?

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 275
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was down both yesterday and today. Today was it was really packed downtown. Nice to see Woodward's sidewalks crowded.

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 281
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alvin Youngblood Hart will be jamming tonight (saturday) at 11:00 with "some great musicians." If it is half as good as what I saw earlier tonight it will be awesome.

Be there. North Woodward Tent.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4462
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 4:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Loved the crowds!

I can't believe that this event almost didn't happen. If anything, it should prove to corporate sponsors its validity and attract more for next year.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 343
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had a great time...
started at Slows on Sat....hour and a half wait at 5:30...we lucked out with two seats at the bar...ordered dinner and conversed with everyone at the bar...Slows was packed!
...went through the tents...good crowds...should convince the city to make this a regular thing...again lucked out just in time to hear Larry Lee's Back In the Day Band. The large crowd loved the band...made it over to Detroit Beer co...another nice crowd, then back to the tents, Campus Martius, Greektown, etc. An enjoyable evening to say the least.

Supersport

Post Number: 11238
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larry Lee's Back In the Day Band...hell yeah! I checked out their whole set as well. Damn good performance! The next band, Impact 7, great as well. Howling Diablos were playing at the same time as them, swung over to that tent for a bit, but ya couldn't even move. I think there was more than enough proof that next year they could easily support another tent or two.

Did anybody check out the Greektown tent? We ventured that way friday, but I don't think we went far enough, as we didn't see it. For anyone who was there, what were the crowds like down that way?

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1358
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sad I could not make it this year. My wife is 38 weeks pregnant and not very mobile. We're both hoping it is back next year so we can take little one.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8309
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps they need to find out where the SuperBowl folks got those SUPERtents for their amazing 'outdoor' parties.

Clearly the tents weren't big enough for the crowds...the turnout certainly WILL turn corporate heads.

Shame Ford wasn't there...and the damn volume from the stages was deafening to the point of attack! THAT was during the DAY on Saturday...with children running around the front of the stage. The negligence of the sound people was too great for me to bear.

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 39
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess the "If you build it they will come" principle applies to the Winter Blast. People get sick of sitting around in the winter with nothing to do. This event could be historic as it relates to getting folks from the burbs to come downtown, and change the perception positively for the city.

Gannon

Post Number: 8318
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Read the comments on the Freep forum...more than a few suburbanites wishing to enjoy a non-sub status for a while.

Tetsua

Post Number: 1101
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the guy on the freep forum who said something to the affect of "... this WinterBlast is a trick by the city, so that thugs can rob the suburbanites dumb enough to go there"

Supersport

Post Number: 11240
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, if the shoe fits.

-Supersport...aka "White thug" :-)

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 485
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a hell of a good time at this year's winter blast. I actually enjoyed it more than last year. Last year I felt as if we were trying to prove ourselves to the rest of America by hosting a party...which we were.

But this weekend was just straight up fun. It was great to see city and suburbs come together to have a good time. It was pretty cold when the sun was not out, but not too many people complaining as there was plenty to do and see to stay warm.

If I could do anything different I would have driven downtown. The 10 minute walk just about killed me on Saturday as the wind was making things feel like -5, and the walk feel like an hour.

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brought another couple downtown Friday night, went to Baile Corcaigh, (good food), then to the Blast. Had a good time, but Greektown seemed to have a lighter turnout of visitors when we were there.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 960
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supersport, there wasn't a tent in Greektown.

Miketeevee
Username: Miketeevee

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had a great time at the Winter Blast on Friday. Saw Question Mark and the Mysterians. They still got it!
One observation: Anyone happen to notice the high number of homeless men inside the tent? It struck me as odd. But I guess everyone needs to keep warm.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1720
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did a short Skyscraper Tour for Preservation Wayne/Winter Blast yesterday - had 9 guests, all from the burbs. Two were regular Downtown visitors, but 7 were burbites that said they just came down because it looked like fun and they had nothing to do in the Winter. They did the tour to get acclimated.

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My only complaint was that they stopped selling tickets for the snow slide by 8:30pm. Bah! Other than that my friends and I had a great time. The city looked beautiful. Of course everything downtown looks especially beautiful to me when viewed from the middle of a large bustling crowd.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it was plenty crowded on Friday (at night at least). I had to wait about 40 minutes in line to get onto the rink, and the wait for the slide was about an hour. But it was not so crowded that it was uncomfortable. Greektown was packed too when I went through around 12:30 p.m.

Wash_man

Post Number: 335
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went on Saturday before going to the MSU/UM hockey game. It was great. Everyone seemed so upbeat. My only complaint (it's a small one!)...is that I heard on the news that all downtown parking was going to be $5 for the Winter Blast. So I went to my favorite place to park, the Opera House, and it was $10. A few of the lots around it were $10 but most in the city were $5. Not a big deal, but someone should get the info out right. I parked on Gratiot at a meter and since it was after 4:00, it was free! The tents were nice and warm, the crowd friendly. It was great and I am looking forward to next year. I hope they add more lanes to the slide. I really wanted to go down it, but it looked like it would take a couple of hours to get through the line. It was fun just watching the riders come down.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2442
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city owned lots were $5. The private ones just charged their usual rates.

Bigjeff

Post Number: 47
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Made it down to Greektown Saturday night to catch The Reefermen play a set at Fishbones. Place was jammed. Good thing a friend is a waitress there. Got us a table quick and enjoyed the Lobster Bisque. Sat watching the passersby from the casino stopping by and dancing and tapping their feet to the beat of that good ole' Motown Sound!!!

Looked great seeing everyone filling the streets and such for the WinterBlast. Talked to the waitress friend and said Friday nights crowd seemed like they had a few more cocktails in them, and were a little rowdier than usual. But was a great vibe she said!!!

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 270
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ndavies,

The City and the Winter Blast committee worked with most of the parking lot owners, including Park rite, and Miller(?) to keep rates at $5. Some individual lots charged otherwise though. Ilitch also charged $10 in his garages

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 161
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All the sub-zero temperatures, for as painful as they were, couldn't have come at a better time for the snowmaking. That was probably the most beneficial mother nature maker of the week. Sloppy snow is no fun...yet by Sunday the snow slide looked like a giant ogre pooped on it it was so dirty.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3623
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The head of the WinterBlast was on WDIV yesterday, and said that the total weekend turnout was something like 450,000.

Tetsua

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not bad

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 271
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

350,000 were expected....

Gene
Username: Gene

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 7:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here we go again with the inflated attendance figures. 705,266 people actually attended this years auto show and according to WDIV 450,000 at the winter blast, I attended both events, NO WAY.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 149
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Attendance figures are an estimate obviously but I think it's a little inaccurate to refute them unless you were there every minute each event was held. Just because it wasn't crowded at one time does not mean it's not busy at another time. I walked over three times myself (Fr/Sat/Sun). Friday was not crowded when I was there (early eve) , but Saturday and Sunday were both extremely busy. From my condo window (24th floor- looking towards Ford Field and up 175) the traffic coming in Downtown Saturday late afternoon to mid evening was extremely busy and backed up .

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9208
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gene, what do you think the number(s) actually was?

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 964
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NDavies, all of the lots in Greektown were $5 or less. Can't speak for the rest of downtown however.....

Gene

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goat

Based upon the fact that the tri county area has around 4 million people. If 450,000 people attended the winter blast that would mean that one out of every nine man women and child in the tri county area attended. No way.Lucky if 100,000 were actually there.

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe next year they can bring the Winterblast to Hall Road. They could have a tent in each parking lot and people could drive from tent to tent!

Knocturnal

Post Number: 192
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gene - In the group of people that I attended with were people from Jackson, Lansing, Battle Creek, and Traverse City. I'm sure that other out-of-towners came for a weekend visit as well.

Bpjeff
Username: Bpjeff

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went with two friends from Okemos. They made a weekend trip just to attend the Winter Blast. Also, a buddy of mine came from S. Rockwood. Technically Monroe County. In my opinion, the place was packed Saturday night.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 480
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DetroitYES!

Gene

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My original point was and is the fact that the Detroit media tend to pull attendance numbers for local events out of their asses.

I attended the Indy 500 2 years ago 300,000 or so people at the race track. An accurate number in my opinion based upon the known number of seats and the number of years the race has taken place. An experience of a lifetime. I have never seen so many people in one place. When you have personally seen 300,000 people and put that into perspective with what I observed last weekend times the hours of the Winterblast. No way.

Korridorkid
Username: Korridorkid

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gene-bless your heart-but your friggin' ridiculous.

#1 Your viewing 300, 000 people all at once! All confined in a cute little race track stand. Of course it seems huge, so does attendance at Michigan Football games.

#2 Maybe there wasn't 450, 000 people there. Maybe there was. Who the hell really has that info that we can access anyway. So who are you, or I without actual documentation to venture or deny an attendance estimate!!!

#3 If the media inflates the numbers...So what!
The worst I could possibly think could happen from that is that Ms. John and Jane Doe from Canton, who have good jobs and dough to spend, yet slightly hesitant about Detroit, may just feel secure in the fact that there's plenty of people down there, and therefore their mortality probability gets a ragin' hell of alot better (their illusion, not mine) and they spend their dough in the D...
Why on God's green earth are you arguing how many people were there? What does it solve/prove? We already know that the media enjoys elaboration. Jeez!

Sorry. Just a little tense.

Gene

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 5:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Korridorkid

I am probably arguing for the same reasons you do/did in your previous post.

Maybe you have been watching too much tv hype about the snow which has you so tense.

Accuracy in reporting and getting the facts correct should be the basic premise of any "news" media was my point.
What if the media started making up numbers about car sales, unemployment,crime and so on. Yes those numbers can be verified thru sources, most people however dont/wont check them.

Enough said.

(Message edited by gene on February 14, 2007)

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 153
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It does seem kinda silly to be arguing about attendance. From my own viewpoint I'd find it hard to not call it a success ( I realize there are some out there that do not like to hear that for some perverse reason- I guess that negates their anti Detroit stances ). There was large crowds on Sat/Sun when I was there and so so on Friday, All in all it seemed to be a very well attended event with all types of people there having a great time.
This by all means is a success, one all Detroiters should be proud of

Fury13

Post Number: 1346
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Gene,

I agree with you. Like you said, the Winter Blast was a flop and should be canceled next year.

Gannon

Post Number: 8383
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's just cancel WINTER.

That'd be a blast.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3632
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a question... how can anyone determine that the 700,000+ number for the auto show was not accurate, unless you attended every day??

I'm dying to hear the logic behind this one! :-)

Gene

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok

Type in www.nais.com/SubPage.aspx?id=2 46 on your computer and see the facts no logic needed.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 279
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tickets sold Gistok

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 704
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If little Mortimer goes down the slide at the Winter Blast but no one is there to see it, did it really happen?

Fury13

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gene doesn't think so.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 282
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its similar to the Techno Fest. They always estimated that 1 MILLION ppl were at the event. They sold tickets, and it was only 40,000.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.