Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » A perfect alternative for our detroit youth. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Metaldoctor
Username: Metaldoctor

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The metaldoctor wants to thank Detroit yes for voicing there opinions, comments and helpful hints. My only purpose is the preservation , restoration and recreation of ornamental metal works including there craftmenship.

my plea and motto while crafting metal for 33 years

Save The Great Lost Art Of Architectural Ornamental Metalwork

who will get involved

Carl Neibock

This is where I learn my trade.

http://translate.google.com/tr anslate?sourceid=navclient&hl= en&u=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2ejohann esburg%2ede%2findex%2ephp%3fsi d%3d1018%26ses%3d0924feed2b18c 5e0f56d5f8d22052cbc

go to ausbildung then metall

And this is how I learn my trade.
I think it would be a perfect alternative for our detroit youth. But I know it is a long shot.

to hear more about meltaldoctor story goto:
http://www.fineliving.com/fine /modern_masters/episode/0,2760 ,FINE_27936_46641,00.html

(Message edited by metaldoctor on January 17, 2007)

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8166
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metal Doctor - Have you contacted DPS or Youthville or community rec centers about hosting classes?

Metaldoctor

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, I have but I think I need more support structuring event like these.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3457
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metaldoctor, your ideas are reminiscent of what they did in NYC with the Cathedral of St. John the Divine on Morningside Heights on the upper west side. It is still incomplete, and when finished will be among the 4 largest churches in the world. (About 3 times the size of NYC St. Patricks)

They are teaching the stone mason building trade to young folks in Haarlem.

Metaldoctor

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Gistok.
There is talent everywhere if only we could do what they did in New York we can is created the next important craftsmen of this age. I only wish and important topics, like our youth and the heritage of important craftsmen like Samuel Yellin and john Massey Rhind can be linked together. There is so much to do and so much to learn.

Metaldoctor

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought this was the beginning, of a era in detroit for architectural metal

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 865
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fox Theatre! Old school!

Beavis1981
Username: Beavis1981

Post Number: 134
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you with a company thats is actively involved in current restoration? If so do you offer apprenticeships?

Metaldoctor

Post Number: 40
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were typical problems, missing ornaments and corrosion everywhere. All ornaments were re-fabricated, and duplicated for the new addition.

Submittal of samples with options

In regards to the apprenticeship program I’m currently talking Wayne County Community College to establish a most effective program I’m also willing to speak with anyone who may be able to effectively contribute.
cnielbock@sbcglobal.net

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4632
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A marvelous endeavor.

I know the Art of ornamental plastering received a huge boost in Detroit with the restoration of the FOX and the OPERA HOUSE, particularly the OPERA HOUSE.

Some of the Plaster Artisans started teaching some students the Art, as well as short classes open to the public.

I suggest you may wish to contact Karen DiChiera at MOT. She's a great believer in all of the Arts and oversees the Educational end of MOT.

Metaldoctor

Post Number: 43
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To all my years in Detroit I have tried to spread the knowledge on a hands on and grass root level .

The opposite of scrapper by definition.

Anyone have picts of Oscar Grace performing plaster work restoration inside the fox theater. I know there are one or two on display there.

please copy and paste into your adress bar:
http://detroit1701.org/MLKBust .htm

(Message edited by metaldoctor on January 28, 2007)

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1435
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pics, Doc. Here's that link without the space: http://detroit1701.org/MLKBust .htm .

Metaldoctor

Post Number: 47
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are programs regarding this subject around the country, why not Detroit?....Our great city will only prosper if we don’t forget the past and that includes the craftsman who built her.

http://www.buildingartscollege .us/

Me2007
Username: Me2007

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We all learn from the past, this is how we grow. if Detroit is going to grow 9 particularly in this area we must create a place for our youth to learn these disciplines

Metaldoctor

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is true the past is important if only to show us what we can do and where we can go. as a city we have to get together on this.

Metaldoctor

Post Number: 61
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metaldoctor surveyed missing lids and exposed wiring in 2002.

The cause of failure is galvanic reaction by using dissimilar metal in the original fabrication

Land post assembly cast iron
Lock claps copper
Locks brass assembly

Also like to offer a solution
1. Introduce surface mount hinges out of neutral metal.
2. Using gravity to automatically hold the lid in closed position
3. Modify the lock accordingly

The protective caps are flimsy and fastened by a regular corroding steel screw one by one they will disappear exposing the main anchor screws already starting the corrosion process by attacking the poorly protected cut marks on the anchors.

how long will they last.

This is how the street lights on one of the main streets of New York looks.

We have so few of the light structures that represent this level of craftsmanship they are usually the only street light left that is not made of wood or processed steel.

These can be restored to there former glory.

Only a suggestion for restoration
1. Remove all furan object strip all paint and primers
2. Disassemble all parts of the pole.
3. Craft new molds from the original parts
4. Craft new matching patterns to receive modern requirements instead using the old metal strap!!!( the duck tape of Detroit public lighting)
5. Cast new parts in the original metal.
6. Coating and finishing to national standards
7. Proper assemble by the original method

got any question metaldoctor eager to answer.

Me2007
Username: Me2007

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metal doctor is truly kicking the knowledge!

Metaldoctor

Post Number: 63
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you me2007. As I've said before my only purpose is the preservation , restoration of ornamental metal works and its craft and craftmen.
The next generation must benefit form the one before.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Color me envious. I have no artistic talent whatsoever, and admire so much those who do. Fortunately, I do take pleasure in that which is pleasing to the eye.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4706
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many of the old posts were sold to Pittsburgh for a buck apiece at the "World's Largest Garage Sale" in Cobo.

Metaldoctor

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where has all the good ornamental metal gone?

www.nyc-architecture.com/ARCH/ Notes-ARTDECO.htm

Metaldoctor

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is 300 year old street lights from germany still around today this shows metal craftsmanship at its best. we too can do things like this.

New York’s Conservation Foundation seems to have the right idea.

http://www.nycf.org/exercises.html

Metaldoctor

Post Number: 75
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is our youth willing to learn from our local master craftsmen.

Metaldoctor

Post Number: 97
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the mid to late 80’s I restored a house that was given to me by my father, it was also my first restoration project in the United States. It was to become my first studio and home in Detroit.

To This.............

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 124
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metaldoctor,
Is that you standing next to Ed Chesney? I am good friends with his sons. He's a great guy.

Metaldoctor

Post Number: 99
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are in the best of company. I know Ed's sons well and admire them for their skills and talent, but I love Ed. And I am still working with him. He also has helped me with his
Know-how to restore this house.
As a WWII Veteran he stood on the mountain of Hiroshima when they raised the flag.

After the war he built his own house with his own hands. He studied to become the Michael Angelo of Detroit. In his humble ways he helped me to become the craftsman I am today.

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 126
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still call him Mr. Chesney; and I'm 48 years old!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.