Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Smoke Break, vol 8: HoneyBus « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sg_creative
Username: Sg_creative

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In this installment of Metro Times Smoke Break, Smith and Loftus try and figure out what Jesse Malin means for America. Smith also dismisses nearly 40 years of pop music and declares 1960s British baroque pop darkhorses Honeybus as the past and future heroes of pop songwriting. In response Loftus makes a cheap joke about street fights.

http://metrotimes.com/blahg/jo urnal_item.asp?journalid=83

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 502
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend played me a Honeybus double c.d. compilation last weekend. I quite liked it, although I didn't hear all of it and it looked like their main writer left early on. Anyone hip to Margo Guryan? On a Detroit-o-centric tip, English folk and rock singer Ruth Copeland has a neat album recorded with Parliament, I think it was recorded in Detroit. It's on the Invictus label, the only copy I've seen is fifty bucks and I already have her 2 albums on the Deep Beats label compilation. It's well worth seeking out.

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 692
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tend to agree with the fellas. Jesse Malin plays up his tough Americana thing a bit too much. It comes across as New Jersey cheese.

The Shins are good, maybe even great at times - by today's standards, but as stated, don't measure up to the best of the golden era.

I will seek out the Honeybus record.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.