Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit police union opposes putting deputies on buses « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 665
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good to see the DPOA putting aside petty turf battles and union protectionism for the safety of Detroiters.

Deputies could police Detroit buses
But city cops union threatens to sue

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070118/NEWS01/ 701180388/1003

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1059
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A union's function is to protect the jobs of their members. That's not a petty item.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8170
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is certainly not apetty item when they protect indifferent and lazy workers.

Maybe the union should work with the officers on how to be more efficient or how to give a dman about the population.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 675
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The cops I know aren't lazy - they are gagged and hand-cuffed by weasily executives and judges who play to the electorate.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8171
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

unfortunately the National Labor Relations Board has set down rules that say, "you WILL protect and defend the indifferent and lazy workers."

union representatives can be sued in court for failing to do so. i work with a former union steward (before he joined Chrysler) who was named in a lawsuit...

david

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5429
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a good ideal. That would stop the conflicts from ignorant folks in the city busses and abroad.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 826
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we should put trainman on the bus and whenever a disturbance happens he can start telling the agressor about Livonia, Transit, and how MDOT underfunds the buses (in reality it is the legislature that underfunds transportation period, have you looked at the roads??)

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 628
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warren Evans could do a lot for Detroit, but nobody with any authority or influence in the city seems to want his help.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1520
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

A union's function is to protect the jobs of their members. That's not a petty item.

It may not be petty, but it's still REALLY bad for the city to be overly influenced by unions in this manner. Does anyone know if such a lawsuit would have any merit? I would hope the city wouldn't give up on the idea just from the threat of a possible suit.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 295
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is pretty much every cities' Police force represented by a union? If that is the case, then it seems as though this is hardly an issue. It could be the case anywhere, right?

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1523
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a good point. I overstated it a bit... I suppose the police unions in a lot of cities would also raise a fuss if the county took over some aspect of their patrol.

But my concern here is that I'm afraid the city of Detroit is more likely to give in to this type of union threat than most other cities, when it's clearly in the best interests of the public to allow for this type of shift, since the current city police force needs all the help it can get.

Here's hoping the city & county can still make this happen.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 317
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We should put cops on all the buses. Then we could save our tax dollars by not having them drive over and visit the donut shops. I'm totally in favor of mass transit and was very opposed to the Livonia opt out. Our leaders in Livonia are very proud of the freeway expansions and have no regard for SMART. The problem in Livonia is the same as in every other suburb and that problem is that We have NO Mass Transit Leadership at all.

Unless, you want to pay tax on fast food by changing the state constitution to allow county sales taxes. If this is what you want then please support this idea because this is free country and we have the right to vote.

Then maybe I will get my bus service back in Livonia. And if I do then great because I really do like SMART which is exactly why I want all you to ride their buses and fill them all up.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.