Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Palmer Woods « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

who lives here?

those houses look pretty nice, some of them are rather modern in design so it looks like its a vibrant community...

i drove by there tonight but didnt have a chance to cruise thru...

david

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1245
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a good friend of mine...

a lot of very wealthy people.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 917
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

who lives here?

You want names? Or just in general? Here is one:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20061128/NEW S05/611280312/0/ENT03

In general it is a diverse group of professional people, Wayne State Profs, business owners etc. (To name two I heard of on a tour I took)
Dennis Archer once lived there.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Great Grandfather built a 3 story house... 14901(?) Lowell Dr.

They lived there from 1923 to 1989 or 1990. I own a few pieces of the furniture from that place. A 9-piece breakfast room set. Hand-painted Chinosoire (sp?). And a huge Mahogony bookcase from the library, 8x4 foot Steelcase desk, and a 29-inch Sony TV that I hardly watch.

My mother used to abuse the nuns at the cardinal's house (later John Salley's of the Piston's) by ringing the doorbell and running away (1940's).

What would you like to learn?

My father showed me a book that his great-grandfather printed. Palmer Park was truly a park in 1905!

I would love to write the current owners and see how they have restored that house!

James

(Message edited by jrvass on January 19, 2007)

Ha_asfan
Username: Ha_asfan

Post Number: 90
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

spent a lot of time in those houses...on my first devils knight, i was seven or so....i had a bar of soap to soap windows. my target house was a fisher house. armed with my bar of soap, i began soaping a window...i soaped it as one would color a picture in a coloring book...making certain every surface was thoroughly covered. after getting about half way through the job, a uniformed butler appeared with a bowl of hot water and some cloths. he stayed with me as i washed that window clean.

Jrvass

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet it *sparkled*! :-)

James

Artistic
Username: Artistic

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great post Ha_asfan. Palmer Woods is a Detroit treasure. The history of the neighborhood as well as Palmer Park are very interesting. I looked into buying a beautiful English Tudor back in 1989 for 149,000.00. 5000 sq ft of pure old world craftsmanship. I was 27 at the time and my folks pretty much had a fit. Not because of the house but because I was headed into the city of Detroit. I personally find the current price range at or near 500,000.00 a fair price. Anywhere else in the Metro area it would cost double or triple. Ltdave...if you enjoy cruising through Detroit neighborhoods try Arden Park,Boston Edison,Indian Village,Brush Park,Sherwood Forest and on and on and on. Have fun.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 455
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would guess the residents in places like Palmer Woods live there because they love the city right? They must have an attatchment?

How does Palmer Woods compare to the more famous rich areas like Groose Point.

Are Palmer Woods people considered poorer then Groose Point residents?

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1868
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ltdave: There's been much Forum discussion on Palmer Woods recently as back in October, there was a walking tour sponsored by the Detroit Historical Society and, in December, the annual Palmer Woods Holiday Home Tour. Check out these threads:

Palmer Woods walking tour
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/76017/85051.html

Palmer Woods Home Tour - December 3
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/76017/87963.html

And from the 2005 tour...
Palmer Woods Holiday Home Tour 2005, Sunday, December 4
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/62684/60907.html

The links may not all work now, but you'll get a an idea of the flavor of the neighborhood through the comments and photos posted within.

Miketoronto: Other than the two Fisher Brothers, Palmer Woods never attracted the famous rich to the extent that Grosse Pointe Farms and Shores did with their lakefront access. Rather Palmer Woods attracted influential men of comfortable means that owned their own successful businesses or worked for very successful companies. But these men were not the famous rich. Familiar names to be sure in some cases, but more than often not. Today's PW residents are much the same; there are some familiar names, but not many.

Ha_asfan: That's a great story!!!!

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 823
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took the Tour once, and I could have sworn we went to Fred Sander's house and a couple other retail moguls.

I have a friend that just bought there.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 428
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitplanner, the Sander's house is on Boston Blvd., 4 doors west of 12th Street.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1870
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the Palmer Woods Neighborhood Association website, Palmer Woods was "once home to the Fishers, Van Dusens, Sanders and the Briggs."

These are the homes that were on the Palmer Woods 2006 Holiday Home Tour: http://www.palmerwoods.org/Eve nts/HomeTour/2006/homes.html (more detail in their Nov 2006-Jan 2007 newsletter: http://www.palmerwoods.org/the Post/pwp2006NovJan.pdf)

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 169
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

where's groose pointe?

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Enough with the Grosse Pointe mythology. It hasn't been true for decades.

Grosse Pointe is no longer the money center of Detroit. It has been far eclipsed by the Blommfield/Birmingham area. I would guess that metro-area elites are nowadays 20-to-1 in Bloomfield over the Pointes. I would wager that even second-tier places like Oakland Twp. and the like are outpacing the Pointes. If you want character, Huntington Woods and Royal Oak are much more attractive than living with no amenities off Mack.

The two main problems with the Pointes are 1. No amenities and nothing (work, shopping, nightlife) in close proximity and 2. Generally unfriendly (or at least perceived as unfriendly) to anyone who isn't a WASP nuclear family. This means wealthy gays, Jews, blacks, Arabs, liberals, etc. are all in Oakland Country.

Back to Palmer Woods- It is nowadays 80%-90% black. When I was growing up in the 80's and 90's it was a little more balanced racially. Regardless of demographic changes, it is still a wonderful neighborhood. Unfortunately, the adjacent Palmer Park is poorly maintained and quite dangerous. It is nowadays known as a site for illicit encounters.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3470
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crawford, no amenities in Grosse Pointe? WTF are you talking about?

The houses in the Grosse Pointes can compare with ANY in Oakland county. Lots and lots of character, Pewabic Pottery fireplaces and bathroom tiles. Cove ceilings, decorative plasterwork, stained glass windows, slate roofs, English Tudor woodwork, English Ivy, statuary, wrought iron and brick fencing, etc. You name it, they've got it. Maybe that section in the "Woods" near Mack doesn't have all of these, but there are thousands of homes in the Pointes that do.

And as for shopping, yes they don't have a shopping mall, and they go to Somerset for that. But there's thousands of high end stores along Kercheval and Mack for shopping.

As for nightlife, they go to downtown Detroit for nightlife, just like they do in Oakland County.

They have lots of very nice restaurants in the Pointes. Josef's has repeatedly been voted the best bakery in Metro Detroit, and some of the finest Jewelers can be found there.

As for income... there's still a lot of old money in the Pointes. That means trust funds... trust fund folks don't show as much income on their tax returns as the nouveau riche in Oakland County. But that hardly means these people no longer have the means.

And as for amenities.... just how many Yacht Clubs are there in Oakland County anyway? Does Cass or Orchard Lake have a Yacht Club, or hundred foot yachts moored at any of the clubs?

In all my years of visiting the Grosse Pointes, I have never seen or experienced any snobbery of any sort. The police are intimidating, that's true, but they go after anyone who doesn't have a "fully functional" car.

As for "work" nearby... since when does proximity to Troy, Southfield or Auburn Hills make that a plus? They have gridlock... something lacking in the Grosse Pointes. Folks out in Oakland County will skip going out to dinner, due to all that traffic (I have friends in Birmingham who complain about that one). This is not a problem in Grosse Pointe.

Many of the professionals working in office towers downtown live in the Grosse Pointes, which is only 3-5 miles away, usually a 10-12 minute drive to work or home without gridlock.

Do they have a street with the majesty of Lakeshore Dr. out in Oakland County... well there's Woodward and Telegraph Rd. But I would hardly call them majestic.

Maybe you should take a drive down Lakeshore, or Kenwood, Provencial, Vendome, Tonnacour, Windmille Pointe or 3 Mile Drive sometime and check out some of the mansions for yourself. They truly are breathtaking.

Grosse Pointe still can hold its own against ANY section of Oakland County. Even Orchard Lake Village, and Kirkway Dr.

(Message edited by Gistok on January 23, 2007)

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3911
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, well said. GP still has one of the finest stocks of residential architecture in the United States.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4771
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok tells it like it tis. And The Rock doesn't even have to wear socks with dress shoes or deck shoes in the summer during boating season.

With impunity, a Grosse Pointer can go to Comerica Park and light up a stogey without wearing socks after work. Find that in Oakland County!

Thanks Gistok. Grosse Pointe is lovely. jjaba toured it once, about a yr. ago.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Gistok

Post Number: 3473
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jjaba!

That's the nicest praise you've ever given for somewhere on the "eastside"... :-)

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 105
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Quozl is a proud ex-westsider and always appreciates jjaba's and Gistok's posts.

Jrvass

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My family is both from the east & west sides of Detroit.

I used to clean carpets as a teenager. The old homes of Detroit blow away the mansions of Birmingham/Bloomfield Hills!

James

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3651
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You mean Jjaba actualy ventured over to the east side?

Wow Jjaba is living dangerously now...

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 644
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crawford, I read your post and I think some of it might be true. I have friends that live in Bloomfield Hills and they seem to feel the same way.

To be honest, I don't like Bloomfield or Bloomfield Hills. Too new, nothing like the Pointes. I love the pointes. I've been to them a couple of times and just have a magical feel to them. Going along the tree lined Lake Shore road. Great old mansions and its right on the lake. I felt like I was on the North Shore of Chicago or Milwaukee. I think the area has a great feel. It feels like you're going back in time a little bit. When I was last there it was a great warm day and I was driving around during the magic hour, great light going through the canopy of trees on different streets. I really like the area.

I can't comment on Royal Oak or Palmer Woods since I haven't been to them, but they sound nice.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3914
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The main difference is that many people don't feel a need to show off their wealth in GP. It is quite the opposite in Oakland County.

Penis-envy-atcha

Gistok

Post Number: 3478
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milwaukee, good analogy about the Chicago/Milwaukee north shore. I find them reminiscent of each other as well. Just instead of high rises, we have tall trees!

Because my 84 year old mother lives near Moross/Mack, I visit her several times a week (I live in St. Clair Shores 4 miles north). And about 2/3 of the time I take Lakeshore Dr. to visit her (even though its out of the way). Lakeshore is spectacular during the summer, and especially when all the flowering trees/Azaleas/Rhododendrums are in bloom in May.

But even during a winter storm there is something magical about that drive, even during near white out conditions. Very relaxing, especially when I have classic music playing...

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

milwaukee,
where exactly do you call home
i had an aunt who was the head nurse at Froedtert Hospital way back when
i remember they had a beautiful painted lady mansion somewhere on the east side
ill always remember caroling with my 20+ cousins and getting a door in the face from the local jewish neighbors-guess we should've checked for a tree
anyway i just applied for a job at a firm in whitefish bay
always loved the area
but downtown milwaukee also so much great urban development

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 647
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Gistok.

Hybridy, I'm from Whitefish Bay. Whitefish Bay is much like Grosse Pointe. Old tudor homes, lots of trees, right on the lake. Thanks for the nice words about Milwaukee.

For Chicagoan's here Grosse Pointe is like Winetka or Kenilworth. Wealthy but not flashy with money. They're rich but tasteful.

Oakland county has some beautiful homes but it also seems to have a lot of tacky mcmansion crap. Grosse Pointe just has the history.

Oakland County has plenty of lakes, none of them compare in my opinion to Lake St. Clair.

I also really like those great old yacht clubs. I think its the Grosse Pointe yacht club that has that big tower. I love how it looks when you drive up from the south. It reminds me of an exotic mosque from North Africa.

Grosse Pointe may not have a ton of retail, but thats what makes it great. Clean, safe, and quiet. I'll take a street with a couple shops and cafes over a mega road lined with strip malls any day.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1678
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in Grosse Pointe Park and a few observations about comments made here:

No minorities - look in the GP South High School yearbook, then tell me what you think. Neighbors on one side moved here from Albania 2 years ago. Two doors down, African American family. Things have changed a lot and for the better.

No money - neighbor on the other side has a recognizable name - Stroh. Doesn't work, just owns rental properties and lives off the beer money. Go visit the student parking lot at GPS HS and check out the cars. Friends that visit from out of town cannot believe how the very nice streets and houses go on and on.

Shopping not great, but enough to not have the leave the area very often for the basics.

Nightlife, some, but Downtown is 20 minutes away. That is where we usually go.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 931
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's some Grosse Pointe Rap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =PTU2He2BIc0

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.