Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Dequindre cut « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 26
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what exactly is this? ive seen the satellite picture and it appears to be an old storm drain like the concrete drains in LA...

david

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 754
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a people and freight drain. The cut carried the Grand Trunk Western commuter and freight rail from Brush Street Station and the ferry dock at Robin Hood Flour out past the Eastern Market. It will take someone else to tell exactly where the cut ends on the north side. I'd be leaning towards Grand Boulevard because after Milwaukee Junction, the track runs at grade.

Now, If you don't know where Brush Street Station, the ferry dock or Robin Hood Flour were, you're on your own.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2192
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For choo-choo tracks some forty? feet below grade. Used to go to the Brush Street Station near the Ren Cen. At one time, those tracks were at grade and interferred with street traffic. In 1850, the Dequindre ribbon farm out to near Milwaukee Junction was about where the city line was on the east (Orleans/St. Aubin/Dequindre).

(Message edited by livernoisyard on January 20, 2007)

7milekid
Username: 7milekid

Post Number: 172
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

its amazing down there, u gotta check it out. Your prolly gonna run into naked bums like we did but its pretty fun.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 186
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 4:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Douglasm, I'd say a safe cut-off point on the north side is Mack/MLK. On the south end, it pretty much ends at E Jefferson.

Bums usually actively occupy the two northern most viaducts as well as the gutted building on the east side of the cut between the second and third viaducts. They're usually pretty chill but it wouldn't hurt to give them a smoke if they ask for anything.

And always carry some sort of weapon if you're paranoid. Scattered rail spikes, debris from abandoned cars, and empty spray cans are quick to be found.

Also, like other's have said, it's an abandoned rail line. There are still rails and ties in places but no trains run through the cut. North of Mack/MLK, however, I've seen a couple reefers thus making the line active and not part of the cut (at least in my mind).

(Message edited by Sticks on January 21, 2007)

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 755
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a long discussion about the cut about a year ago that would probably help David out. Could someone with more computer skill than I dig it out and post a link?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7949
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been TWO BLOCKS from this thing for over a year now...and the most I know about it is how to avoid the huge potholes on that Wilkins Street overpass.

Saw surveyors in it last summer while I was jogging, the street just west of it alongside the Lafayette Park area became one of my favorite routes either to Belle Isle or Hart Plaza.

I'm sure when the cut renovation is completed, it'll be my local mini-Hines Drive right on down to the Riverwalk. Wonder if that survey information is available on-line...I'd love to see the elevation from the river.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1060
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

...And always carry some sort of weapon if you're paranoid. Scattered rail spikes, debris from abandoned cars, and empty spray cans are quick to be found.

What up Sticks ... This has got to be the most ghetto post of January. :-)

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3586
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best gallery of local art anywhere with constantly changing exhibitions. And, unlike the DIA, you can touch the art. Don't like it? Paint it over with your own work.

Winter is actually the best time to visit as the vegetation, which obscures much of the work in the summer, is gone. Note to self, time for a revisit.

Chronicled twice on DetroitYES since the late 90's:

https://www.detroityes.com/webisode s/2002/020921Lascaux00.htm

https://www.detroityes.com/art/03ca ve_entrance.htm

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 294
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any of you all suppose that artists will still be able to use the cut as a canvas after the proposed renovations of it into a walking path?

Cozmikdebris
Username: Cozmikdebris

Post Number: 98
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Your prolly gonna run into naked bums like we did but its pretty fun.

I personally don't consider encountering naked bums "fun," and would be inclined to steer clear of the area, in the summer at least. YMMV.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 481
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More information about the proposed development of the Cut for pedestrian use can be found here.

Here are a few nuggets about the Cut from the St. Joseph's Parish "History Corner":

September 11, 2005 -
The Black Bottom Dollar Store is just a few blocks up Gratiot. It has a historic name. Since the early settlers first dug wells in this area and discovered that the black top soil seemed bottomless, our neighborhood has been known as “The Black Bottom”. French missionaries in the 1600s described this area as a Garden of Eden and noted that so many apple trees were seen that one would think an orchard man had planted them. Offspring from those ancient trees grow along the railroad track beside the rectory clear down to Lafayette. Three Mimosa trees are in full bloom along the track in the yard at St. Mary’s Residence behind our church and can be seen from the back fence of our property. These trees normally thrive only south of the Ohio River. Other trees in the railroad right-of-way have never been classified. They are unique to this area alone. Spring and early summer produce a color kaleidoscope of blossoms along the railroad right-of-way from Gratiot to Lafayette, where this historic growth has flourished undisturbed. The railroad says it will thin it all out soon.

Editor's note: Recent news has come to us that the railroad bed will be turned into part of a bike trail. People working on the project have visited St. Joseph's and said that, as part of the project, botanists will come through and identify unique vegetation so that it can be preserved and cared for as a valuable part of the area's scenery.

April 10, 2005 -
Horses! ...The old wooden foot bridge over the railroad tracks next to the rectory once had a gate to keep horse-drawn wagons off the bridge. Horse droppings on the bridge were getting to be a problem.

March 27, 2005 -
The limestone for our church came from a quarry that opened in 1749 near Sibley, Michigan (now Trenton). The railroad tracks next to the rectory were not tunneled under Gratiot in 1870 when construction on our stone church began. The tracks were level with our property and there was a depot directly across Gratiot. The stones for the church were brought on railroad cars from the Sibley quarry and unloaded right alongside our construction site.

March 13, 2005 -
Saint Joseph Church is listed in the National Register of Historic Places, (designated "for national significance"). Some people think that this listing entitles the church to government funds. Not so! All of our funds come from the parishioners and friends of Saint Joseph Church. To put it all into perspective, we need to look toward the railroad tracks that run alongside the rectory. The two cement bridges that cross the tracks on Antietam and Chestnut Streets just south of the rectory are also listed in the National Register of Historic Places but lack the added designation "for national significance."

I also remember hearing that one of the earlier parish buildings (possibly the original rectory) caught fire and burned to the ground due to an ember ejected from a passing train.

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My great grandfather worked in a limestone quarry in a small village just outside of Rome, Italy. The name of the city is Civita Castellana. When they immigrated in the early 1900's he got a job at the Sibley Quarry. Thank you very much Mikeg, I found that very interesting.

Archinnovator
Username: Archinnovator

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As an interesting aside, I emailed the artist who painted the Pirates of the Caribbean inspired piece under one of the overpasses (I assume it's still intact, I was down there in October), and he's a graffiti artist from Tulsa, OK who was visiting his brother here when he created the piece. His website is eratikone.com if anyone's interested.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 162
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I learned today that the sewer line issue has been resolved, and with some luck, bids will be let this spring for the next phase of construction.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 319
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Next phase? Of the Dequindre Cut? What was the first phase?

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 165
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe they did some cleanup using DEQ brownfield monies early on. Not sure where it was or what they cleaned up, but I remember being told that that was the first step.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 211
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's one of my shots from further up near Eastern Market.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/t heblacklodge/257997356/

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 120
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leland_palmer,
Did you take that picture? It's very cool. Is it looking toward Gratiot, or is Gratiot behind the photographer?

Leland_palmer

Post Number: 212
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The photo was taken North of Gratiot, on Adelaide, looking North.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 204
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice Flickr album Dubs'.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3997
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the cut polluted at all? With all those heavy-industrial centers nearby there had to have been exposure to dangerous chemicals etc.

Leland_palmer

Post Number: 214
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Quozl. I'm suffering from a bout of split personality. I started to use A Dubs on flickr and my blog.

Http://fadeddetroit.com

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's something that U may like. i had an old Texaco map of the city [it was tattered and that's why I no longer have it =-(. I was in the 7th grade and had no idea that it was priceless in its tattered condition-it was a gift from my social worker-I wish I still had it 2day].

But my point is this. This treasure had the eastside on one side, and the westside on the other side-that's how big it was. Just some features that the older ones here can recall:

The Lodge stopped @ Wyoming-which explains why James Couzens is a narrow as it is
Edsel Ford stopped @ Vernier and Harper
Where Fisher Fwy. is between Michigan and Gratiot
was Vernor Highway
Chrysler ended @ Warren [or Mack]
Southfield was a divided highway that made a point @ 9 Mile and Northwestern [the map I had went up (slightly past) to 9 Mile]
There was no Jefferies Fwy. yet. (the map only showed it being under construction)
Up to that point, Schoolcraft was a divided highway 1/4 mile west of Evergreen
Evergreen ended-or made a point-@ Hubbard Drive
Davison Fwy. originally routed from the Railroad Track that divided Detroit from H.P. to the Lodge
There was no Dearborn Heights yet-I could be wrong, but it was then the far east part of Garden City
Oakland became Stephenson @ 8 Mile
And last but not least, Dequindre ended @ Atwater (before it became a transit route)

And if anyone's noticed in the last few years Dequindre was reopened or re-extended from Warren to Mack. I know that most of all this was before my time, but I wouldn't mind seeing Dequindre back in its original condition [again].

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 111
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As to the post about the surveyors they could have been down there for ANY amount of reasons. Surveying often requires a lot of measurements from many locations off of the subject property and you would probably never find that info online.

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 359
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Often referred to as the "rat line," the northern part of this line between the river and Milwaukee Jct remains in service switching a few on-line customers as the Detroit Connecting Railroad, or DCON. They do interchange work at CN's BOC yard in Hamtramck. I believe the place that gets the reefers is the farthest place the line is still active. It goes below street grade around Mack and continues until Jefferson. The crossings at Woodbridge, Riopelle, and Orleans along the river were at street level, as were the crossings from Warren/Forest out toward the northern part of the city.

The DCON operates weekdays (I believe) and they have two little GE switchers, #4 and #9. The #9 is their primary unit, while the #4 is a backup.

Below are a few photos a friend of mine took just earlier this week of the DCON going about some of a day's work. The line looks much cleaner when fresh snow is covering up all the trash and debris that gives this line a very industrial character other times of the year. Hard to believe it was once four tracks wide in many places.

DCON 9 with reefers

DCON GE switcher #9 bring two reefers from the facility at the end of their line up the old GTW toward Milwaukee Jct.

DCON 9

A roster shot of the DCON #9 on their line near Arco Alloys Corp.

Milwaukee Jct

DCON #9 moves up their line toward the Boulevard and Milwaukee Jct. Renovated Milwaukee Park Lofts are in the background.

Rat Line

A closeup, cleaned up, and enhanced view of the small Rat Line insignia on the side of DCON #9.

Thanks to M K for these photos of current DCON operations.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.