Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Moving to Northville this week... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 481
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have any info they can share that a noob to the area might not be aware of?

Emuaaron
Username: Emuaaron

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i grew up there. The best restaurants are Little Italy on Horton downtown, Rocky's on Seven Mile. Wagon Wheel is the best hole in the wall bar. Rebecca's in downtown is the best greasy spoon restaurant.

Mayberry State Park is a great resource. There's a farm there and great biking trails.

It is not far from Proud Lake, Hudson Mills, and Kensington parks.

The High School basketball team is pretty good.

Almost everything has been transformed into subdivisions.

The racetrack is fun, but it's also one of the most depressing places you can go.

The rec basketball league is shockingly competitive.

hahhaahahaha i could go on for years. i lived there for 18 years and my parents still live there, so i'm always around. Feel free to e-mail me at asurma@rehmann.com if you have any questions.

Umstucoach
Username: Umstucoach

Post Number: 119
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived there for 11 years when my father got a job there in Northville. It changed dramatically from when I initially moved there from when I left. Land that was farmland or golf courses are now either condos or homes. Although the Training Center has long since passed, some say that some of the tunnels still exist.

The downtown has little nightlife save for the four bars in and around the downtown. The Starting Gate on Center has my favorite pizza, but the interior hasn't changed since 1981.

There is a difference from those who have moved in the area very recently and those who have lived there before urban sprawl came to it, and parts of the town reflect it. I really can't put my finger on specifics, but I can feel it.

Not a bad area all and all. It still is a small town if you live in the city limits or close to it. If you are in the outdoors there are plenty of areas close by to participate in outdoor activities.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8174
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Livonia was the greatest place in the world.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 68
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Northville Twp. and Livonia (along Haggerty and near Schoolcraft College) has a restaurant row.
Northville has an old looking downtown kind of like Royal Oak but not as vibrant.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 221
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That the better place to live is about 30 minutes or so down I-75. :-)

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 104
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm trying to think where that would be, Rhymes, since I-75 doesn't go anywhere near Northville. Unless, of course, you meant I-275 and you're a big Romulus booster...

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 223
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

haha, I-75, I-275, all the same to me. :-)
No, seriously, though, I meant 275, just was typing too fast.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 230
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 7:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Hmmmm, Belleville or Northville? Belleville or Northville?..."

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.