Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Does the state build buildings on campuses anymore? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 96
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2007 0122/SUB/701190331/1061

EMU is self financing 100M for their science building (I was a grad student in that bldg. long ago - it was mediocre back then).

WSU has raised over 350M in a capital campaign for 3 major buildings.

Like isn't the state mostly responsible for funding capital items for higher education?

Like I can see student fees, capital campaigns for athletic stadia and arena, auditorums, etc etc. but like for a SCIENCE building????

If the state won't finance a science building for Eastern or a School of Business Ad. building for Wayne, what are they financing?????

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1676
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard from people that I know that work in higher ed that the university funding has dramatically changed in the last 10 years or so. The State funds about 1/3, tution 1/3, and other sources about 1/3. So waiting around for the State could leave you behind

Emu_steve

Post Number: 97
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, Bob.

There are now 'haves and have nots' among universities.

Universities with huge endowments will do well, others will not.

Too bad there is plenty of need for the UofMs, WSU and EMUs. Different missions and different student populations, but still the same need to get a medical doctor or teacher educated.

I looked at the WSU capital campaign and can't figure out why the state isn't funding say HALF of the cost of these three new buildings?

The_nerd
Username: The_nerd

Post Number: 371
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EMU spent several years petitioning the state to fund renovations to MJ and Pray-Harrold. Both buildings were constructed in the 1960s and have yet to see major renovations. Despite EMU's need the state told the university to basically wait until the economy improves (insert Michigan economy joke here), however since initial requests both building have deteriorated to dangerously subpar conditions (Pray-Harrold had a substantial fire way back in 2000).

It's sad, but Michigan's perinnial budget problems make state university funding more and more private.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 308
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know firsthand that the state funds next to nothing at U of M.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 98
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iheartthed, you are actually making my point.

The state essentially says to the universities:

"Swim or sink - you are getting little help from us."

The schools with huge endowments will prosper while the EMU's will suffer.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 925
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like, do they teach college students how to communicate in the english language?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3465
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like, didn't the state put up an entire year worth of its' bond funding for the U of M Hospital, like 10-15 years ago?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 299
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah private universities!!

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 225
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

didn't the state put up an entire year worth of its' bond funding for the U of M Hospital...10-15 years ago

The current University Hospital opened in 1986, so bonds would have been floated several years prior: something closer to 25 years ago.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 309
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like, how many other projects has U of M had in the last 10-15 years?

Jeduncan
Username: Jeduncan

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ah, this thread is making me laugh.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 101
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few years ago I saw a list of UofM projects being built or planned. Think the price tag was huge. Might have been in the nearly 2B range.

I don't worry about UofM.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 847
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also you should keep in mind that debacle at EMU where the state built the giant library using bond funds and the U used their own funds to build a presidential palace behind a Walgreens!

Emu_steve

Post Number: 106
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a question, not a statement:

Did EMU use bond funds for the library or was it a very large gift from Mr. Halle?

Or some combination of both?

(I do know that Mr. Halle contributed big bucks but I don't know what % of the total cost that it was).

Yes, the president's house continues to haunt EMU.

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

U.of Michigan-all 3 campuses, have their buildings mostly, if not all, constructed from private funds. Donors like to see their names on buildings.
The meager state funding kicks in when it comes to paying secretaries, custodians, cooks, i.e. the people who actually run the place.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.