Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Three Detroit teens charged with killing Iraq vet « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Salvadordelmundo
Username: Salvadordelmundo

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070123/NEW S01/701230398&imw=Y

What a sick crime. The victim didn't even resist. Hopefully, all three of these kids will get life without parole.

But the killing raises deeper issues - where were the parents of these kids? Obviously these kids were raised horribly. Should there be some accountability from the parents? Either civil or criminal?

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 651
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terrible. That Johnson family should be put to shame and all locked up. Disgusting.

Hey, but that Gangsta' Rap is the bomb. Shoot 'em up!

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8175
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blaming rap is stupid. There are a lot of decent kids that listen to rap.

If kids are going to do things like this listening to rap or classical makes no difference. My guess is their parents failed them and society. Rap music didn't cause this and correlating the two is silly.

jt1 - heavy listener of rap. Never committed a crime.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2208
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How could the paper's account be true that the criminals' tax-preparer mother was not involved? She obviously informed her three now "adult" kids--aged 15, 17, and 19--about the $5995 tax refund of her client. It's possible, though, the victim might have mentioned it to the killers.

How could she deny that she didn't inform her "good boys?" By definition-once charged, they're always good boys (and will dress in suits whenever in court).

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 193
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its getting worse every day. It used to be 18 and 19 year olds killing innocent people with no remorse, now its 15 and 16 year olds. There recently was a crime in New Orleans that was so violent, that people marched to the City Hall to demand more stiffer penalities against the kids. A mother of a 3 year old was shot to death in her living room for cash from some teen aged drug addicts. The father heard the commotion at 2 in the morning, and ran to his 3 year old sons' room to protect the baby. What does the teenager do after killing the mother?
He goes after the father who is holding the 3 year old and shoots him 3 times as well.... fortunatley, the father who was a doctor in N.O , survived and the bullets missed the babies heard by inches.
The father buried his wife the following week and left N.O for good to return back to his native Canada..... It seems its only getting worse .....

Jt1

Post Number: 8176
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe she meant to say 'good for nothing' boys.

Sickening that people, regardless of age, can justify doing this type of stuff.

My heart goes out to the family of the deceased.

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 447
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know you guys are not serious....she said "good boys"? I think she is definitely involved. This gentleman was getting his taxes done and received a check. The taxpayers son told this gentleman to follow him to the check cashing place. And he did.

What is going on? I just don't get it. How can you think your sons are good. They shot him and killed him. A 15 year old did the shooting. what kind of parent was she? She needs to be slapped! Now she has two sons going to prison for a very long time. She must be very proud!

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 118
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Horrible news, some stories hit hard, this happens to be one of them. Seeing that handsome young mans face and reading that story...how tragic.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 227
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terron Bush worked at my building; he was a good man.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2211
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's not go too far astray. I added that "good boys" part because the rest of the story (including the good boys or being "honor students") is but an article or two away from being reported, as usual.

She did not say anything AFAIK about anything yet, but all mothers of criminals seem to say that their darlings were always "good boys" and attended church and helped others. And if there never was any doubt about the guilt of their kids, it was always the influence of other rotten kids that got them into trouble, while at the same time never even thinking that they are usually the root of the troubles.

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 449
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I was their mother, I don't think I could even go to their trials. I know that's sad to say, but I would be too ashamed and would blame myself.

Blaw82
Username: Blaw82

Post Number: 131
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If i was their mother I would dis-own them. Those kids are animals and I hope the shooter gets life.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2212
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Life is the only sentence possible for premeditated first-degree homicide, and that also applies to the two brothers. It matters little about who pulled the trigger.

The silence of the mother is suspicious in itself. However, she probably was urged by her attorney to keep her mouth tightly shut. In any event, this murder will clearly destroy her tax-preparation business due to fewer and fewer victims, err... customers.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 313
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blah, blah, blah.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 314
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 313 post! I wasted it on that, damnit.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7974
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not waste, poetry.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 598
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm reminded of the Gulf war soldier Anthony Riggs killing back in the early 90's.

Vas

Post Number: 652
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1,
An entertainment of violence, prostitution, infidelity, and arrogance is Gangsta' Rap.
That doens't mean that everyone that listens turns into a criminal.
It means that music that preaches all of these negative things, will get adherents. BET likes to accompany this stuff with stories of "American Gangsters."

Sadly this what saturates BET and most of the African American radio stations.

This violence, arrogance and infidelity is seen as "cool," and its a serious problem of where the majority of black America finds its entertainment.
......being sold out by MTV and BET

Classical music isn't based off of boasting about murder, women and making money. Its as simple as that.

Gannon

Post Number: 7975
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's called Opera.

Nothing Mozart ever did was about women and making money...huh?!

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 169
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vas, Black people don't own most of these record labels or BET. Black people are being sold out by Capitalism.

Vas

Post Number: 653
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BET was started and made to fruition by a the first black billionaire in this country.
It was recently sold in 2003 I believe.

But overall, you're partially right. Probably more white owned, though MTV has some major black executives.

Jt1

Post Number: 8179
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Sadly this what saturates BET and most of the African American radio stations.

R&B is much, much more prevalent on African American radio stations.

Mjb3
Username: Mjb3

Post Number: 129
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The State of Michigan has the 4th largest prison population behind CA, TX and FL. Something like 11% is behind bars.

Maybe we need to up it to 15%. Or legalize drugs and reclaim all those prison beds for truly violent offenders.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5440
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BROTHERS KILLING BROTHERS FOR LOVE OF MONEY!

When money becomes GOD all the men shall praise IT. When the God of Abraham sees this, He passeth judgement over thee. When is son Jesus sees them, He wept. When the righteous sees them, God told him not to look you all did your best, you have gave them my warning. Some have came to me and some have turn away from me. So for those who turned to mammon shall lose their minds. They threw themselves to Hell where they would sleep with rich man when my son told my disciples and the rest of Israel. Some of them didn't listen to me so they didn't listen to my son. They should look up and see the great chasm and my kingdom is far away and fading. They shall weep and nash their teeth and pain would be a everlasting torture for their lives. But the you all, the righteous have came to me and my son for you all have left mammon behind and all the riches of Earth is nothing but imagination.

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 170
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right Vas, but the "American Gangsters" came post Bob Johnson. Not to say that it was influenced solely by White executives (da Man) but I'm sure all executives involved know that this type of music and lifestyles appeal to a broader audience (even White Urban/Suburban/Rural/Internati onal audiences). No matter if it's good or bad, it makes more $$$.

Vas

Post Number: 654
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1.

Come on man. You know how significant this stuff is in black America.
Its messed up.
Its wrong.
I've seen Chuck D get thrown to the wayside and now its people who can't speak english and boast about murder.
Its a major component of black America's culture and it is keeping people down.

Vas

Post Number: 655
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whats your point Ohudson?

Jt1

Post Number: 8180
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not saying it is not a bad influence but I am looking at a few other things:

1. Music does not influence people to the extent that you seem to believe. It may compound situations but it is not the scapegoat here. Judas Priest wasn't of killing when they went to trial and rap is not now. It may further confuse messed up kids but that is is.

2. Rap (gangsta or not) is not the most popular form of music on predominately black stations. Making a claim that it is is wrong.

3. 80% of rap is sold to white America. Listen to 95.5 when they have 'mypod' it is all rap and the kids calling it in are almost always from the suburbs.

4. If you honestly believe that rap plays that much a part in this (which would ignore lack of education, poverty, and a host of other factors) I would hope that you are just as willing to complain about movies like The Godfather, Scarface, Goodfellas, violent heavy metal music, horror movies, etc. and all of the previous mob bosses in the past.

Are the argument that rap is that much of an influence is garbage in my opinion. Facts are facts and I don't see the facts supporting your opinions.

I don't like the message of many rappers today but I think it has a much, much smaller influence on people's actions than you believe.

Now excuse me why I read a book about John Gotti, watch Goodfellas and listen to some Slayer. I hope that I can resist the urge to go kill people.

Jt1

Post Number: 8181
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One more point:

Blaming rap is an easy way to excuse the real societal problems that lead to this behavior. You know, the problems that we as a society could help resolve.

I guess it's easier to blame rap than tutor a child falling behind in class, helping families that have nothing, etc. Ending rap music will not change the real factors in this type of behavior but it sure makes for an easy scapegoat that allows people to throw their hands in their air (no pun intended) and insist someone should do soemthing about all of that damn rap music.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9172
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This has more to do with the decline of morals of N. Americans than it does with rap music or any other type of music.
We as a society do not know how to interact with other people let alone leave people in peace. As we continue down the path of me, me, me and "as long as I get mine" this shit will continue to happen. We have stopped being a community and instead try to shove our way to the front of the line.
Secularism at its finest!

Jt1

Post Number: 8183
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever Goat, why don't you just shut the f up.

(turns off rap music)

I agree with you 100% goat. Sorry for the first sentence, it was the music that made me do it.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9174
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just about spit out my water!

jt1, you are not respecting me! How about I put a slug in ya at 5 range while swill'in a forty?
(Kool G Rap was playing...mybad)

Vas

Post Number: 656
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1,

Sure there are other problems as well that contribute to this. But a simple one is to stop making people who glorify violence such a large part of CULTURE.

Culture is huge. Gangsta Rap (there is a huge difference between Common and 50 cent) is a huge part of Afican American culture.

Don't give me that 'all or nothing' crap. Like every issue, there isn't one solution.
But its damn clear that there is an evil here that black AND white people are embracing.
Its damn clear that America's first black billionaire got rich of selling music that makes it attractive and acceptible to kill and rob people.
You and most others can't understand this because it HAS become such a large part of our culture. It has taken such a large role in our society that its hard for people to even see how simple this is. STARS, leades of our society, people that mass audiences look at, are boasting about killing and robbing and people are feeding on this.

Music is more powerful and ingested many more times then a book on John Gotti. I'll give you the Sopranos, even though its fiction.

Do you notice how Slayer is only a small part of the music spectrum? How you don't see Slayer on ABC's "The View"????

Slayer to our culture is a sliver. Gangsta Rap to our culture is a chunk.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1182
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The son of the tax preparer was not the cousin of the brothers, as reported in the Free Press.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070123/M ETRO/701230354/1003

Gannon

Post Number: 7978
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it is racism to NOT face up to the Aryan conquering-race influences in opera.

Bad enough they got us waiting EVERYWHERE for that f-in' fat lady to sing.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 297
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The bigger question here is why didn't he have a freakin' bank account?

I don't want to be called a racist, we'll leave that for another post but why is it so many minorities don't bank?

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 631
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The bigger question here is why didn't he have a freakin' bank account?

I don't want to be called a racist, we'll leave that for another post but why is it so many minorities don't bank?

Check cashing places can charge anywhere from 1% to 5% to cash a check. This guy was losing quite a bit of money, you'd think a guy who was in the Navy would at least have a savings account.

And quite frankly, how smart is it to walk out of a check cashing place in Detroit with that kind of cash in your pocket?

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 425
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 1974 we had 714 murders in the city of Detroit well before the invention of hip-hop/rap music.If music is truly to blame for instilling a culture of violence in todays youth, what was the reason for the high amount of murders previous to the invention of this violent music?

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 125
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As senseless as all of this is I don't get it. How does somebody file taxes and get a refund in the same day?

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 229
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

How does somebody file taxes and get a refund in the same day?

See http://www.bbbsilicon.org/topi c188.html

quote:

Tax preparers who advertise these almost instant refunds are really arranging a loan in the amount of your refund, to be paid back from the proceeds of your refund. This loan is known as a Refund Anticipation Loan, often referred to as an RAL.

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 645
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The killing is ridiculous. No respect for life and no self respect. Just helps to keep up the stereotype of the dangerous urban black male.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2058
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the old day the cops would have shot these useless motherfuckers in the "pursuit to apprehend" the suspects...........Oh to have the good old days again........

Mayor sekou the city had about 1.2 million people in 1974 so the murder numbers logically would be higher.What is apparent is that since at least 1974 murder is doing just fine in Detroit.

Jt1

Post Number: 8185
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

then: 1.2 million at 714 murders
now: 900K 410 murders.

rates are down. While still way too high rap doesn't appear to have caused a huge spike in murders as suggested above.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2228
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit's murders were so commonplace during the crack-house 1980s that there were drives sponsored by the papers and such to encourage the murders to cease for a whole day!

Imagine, Detroit--a murder-free zone (for a day).

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 5883
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Citylover, the city was down to 1.2 million in 1974 while the murder rate increased to 714. 85% of those murder victims were black males between the ages 18-25 murdered by someone they knew.

Over the years, the % of African Americans in the COD went from 4% to 85%.

I'll let you connect the dots.

Meanwhile, stylin & the rest of the ship of fools over at Non-Detroit Issues is blathering nonsense every time I bring up "home" as the source/heart of all problems/solutions plaguing the COD. So far only a few on this thread have correctly assessed the problem.

Jt1

Post Number: 8186
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

85% of those murder victims were black males between the ages 18-25 murdered by someone they knew.

Proof?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2229
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, the EOY 2005 population for Detroit was pegged at 836,000 by the Census Bureau and dropping at an annual rate of 23,000 (~2000 per month) since 2000. The 900,000 population number put forth is extremely generous and quite inaccurate.

So, Detroit's population is probably somewhere near 812,000 by now and should drop by another thousand to 811,000 before Ground Hog's Day. At the rate of its depopulating, Detroit should dip below 800,000 sometime this summer.

Detroit was already over one million back before 1910, so stemming this depopulation rapidly is critical if Detroit ever hopes to bounce back. At some point, probably already long here, the current residents will keep bearing a higher and higher percentage of Detroit's still escalating city expenditures. And, of course, even more will leave.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on January 24, 2007)

Karl

Post Number: 5884
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1 - I read it in the Freep the year that it happened. I'm not in Detroit. If you are and are interested, go look it up.

The study went further, analyzing where the murders occurred. There were virtually no murders "downtown" with most occurring on the "fringe" - the semi-circle around downtown where commercial turns into residential.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 434
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeez, 836 thousand? Sad it has gotten that low. Did that article show specifically what neighborhoods in the city produced the majority of the murders and if so what is the name of it so I can look it up?

Iheartthed

Post Number: 318
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rap music a big part of African American culture? Please stop talking now.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3665
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1 you know better than that. I am still waiting for Karl to answer me on another thread. What say we hold our breaths together...

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 848
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Citylover, the city was down to 1.2 million in 1974 while the murder rate increased to 714. 85% of those murder victims were black males between the ages 18-25 murdered by someone they knew."

Karl,

Sorry man, that was after 1980!
http://www.semcog.org/Products /pdfs/Detroit300.pdf

Jt1

Post Number: 8192
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the graphic on page 8 (4) that shows population. Looks like population has been decreasing at a relatively stable rate since the early 50s. And to think the riots and CAY get blamed for everything.

Karl

Post Number: 5894
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stylin says: "What say we hold our breaths together..."

That'll do more good for the COD than anything you've done thus far.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2232
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Danny
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 3:58 pm:
BROTHERS KILLING BROTHERS FOR LOVE OF MONEY!

Detroit is like Philly with all this brotherly love here...

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on January 24, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.