Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Madison's on Broadway - Closed! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 988
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked Madison's, and I'm sad to see it go, but at least there is a pending replacement.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070123/BUS INESS/70123019

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1065
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How much more tennant space if left in the building?

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 668
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't a business have to be open before it closes? Other than SBXL the place was never open

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And even when it was open, it was obviously an opportunist operation like the rest of the temporary bars there during SBXL week. Six bucks for a can of beer? I'm glad it's gone, and I'm even happier it's not going to be permanent.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1008
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think we need a built in sarcasm-o-meter on this forum...

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 785
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was the crappiest bar even when it was open for a week. I went one day and it was about 70% empty and they still wanted the $10 cover or whatever. Entertainment? Nope. Just a cover for no reason. Needless to say, we went elsewhere.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3469
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharmaal, did you even read your own reference source??

It was only open for 1 week during SuperBowl! It was not open before then, and not open since then...

How are you gonna miss something that never really was there??

(Message edited by Gistok on January 23, 2007)

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11168
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So much for Hooters/BW3's. :-(

That being said, I'm happy as hell something is going in there finally!

Sharmaal

Post Number: 989
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rsa, you're probably right.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3471
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, Gotcha, sorry Sharmaal.... but you have to admit there have been some pretty dumb posts lately. I was kinda stunned by yours! :-)

Fozzy3
Username: Fozzy3

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm betting it will be a great place, Tom really knows how to run a restaurant.

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 211
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I presume the restaurant will only use the ground floor space, though it would be nice if they put outdoor seating up on the roof. Not using that redeveloped roof space would be an unfortunate waste. I suspect they'll use the Broadway sidewalk for outdoor seating. There still are two floors of office space which, I believe, remain available.

Sharmaal

Post Number: 990
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me thinks Fozzy3 = Tom!

Welcome abord Fozzy3!

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 405
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

stubhub occupies some of that space

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 935
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The bar was actually open a few times over the summer.....alot of sweaty white guys with a ton of testosterone got into a fight or two at the end of the night and they didn't open it again.

Diesel
Username: Diesel

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Madison's was pretty much a temp bar and put together in a matter of 2 weeks only for the super bowl and advertised in pittsburgh to be a steelers super bowl party.

I know the owners of the building pretty well and there will be another party there this super bowl before the restaurant opening. The rooftop area will be left and hopefully become a bar at some point they are actively seeking interested parties. Stub hub occupies I believe about 1,500 sf with the remaining two floors empty.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 717
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope the new establishment will not opt for the rooftop bar anyway, but rather do sidewalk tables and service. Need to keep upping the foot traffic, activity, see & be seen nature of this critical area of downtown. Rooftop service does not add to that.

Street vibrancy-atcha.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1679
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good news, GCP needs more life!

Hooha
Username: Hooha

Post Number: 133
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be better for the city if they had outdoor seating on the sidewalk, but I think customers would enjoy the deck more. A 5th floor deck overlooking GCP, Kales and the like would be a nice view.

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 212
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rrl,

I agree the foot traffic and street prescence is key. I do think that rooftop view across GCP into Comerica must be pretty impressive.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.