Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » The sculptures of the Wayne county court house estmated valued $150 Million to $180 Million?? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Metaldoctor
Username: Metaldoctor

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alert! Alert!
Metal doctor estimates total value of sculptures of the Wayne county court house could exceed $150 Million to $180 Million.
Someone may want to ask Sotheby’s, Or the Smithsonian.

http://www.shareholder.com/bid/downloads/news/20061006-213837.pdf

http://www.cr.nps.gov/nr/travel/detroit/d14.htm

(please copy and paste these into your adress bar)

Fact: compatible work fabricated / crafted in the same year, in the same place, in the same technique by the same group of people with the same craftsmanship.

Fact: these sculptures are fine reposse work instead of rustic casting.

Fact: metal doctor inspected some of the all ready completed work of the four sculptures on the tower, report and pictures pending.

(Message edited by metaldoctor on January 24, 2007)

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 718
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Way to tip off the scrappers bro. Now I'm sure they're headed for the scrap heap or auction.

Not to be a dik, but didn't you already state this in another thread? Was an entirely new thread necessary? Just askin'.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 311
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Instead of selling the ones from the County bldg, why don't they just sell the ones from the old city hall?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/c hrisjman/216114039/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/c hrisjman/216096188/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/c hrisjman/216096183/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/c hrisjman/216096180/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/c hrisjman/216096186/

The building has been gone for forty years, might as well start with selling those sculptures if you are going to...

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1368
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a crying shame! Those statues in the weeds.
I have no problem with a new thread for these important issues. Keep it up.

(Message edited by PSIP on January 24, 2007)

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 317
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The stonework in the weeds, that is city 'storage' Detroit style!

Metaldoctor

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Charlottepaul for the pictures which was amazing, was wondering if may have anymore pictures of historical metalwork? if so could you post them?

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boy oh boy, the city must be rich! To throw away veritable treasures like that, they must be swimmin` in it. Does anybody know if the pieces are all there to be put back together, if anyone had a notion to.

Metaldoctor

Post Number: 42
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Preserving priceless treasures such as the “Wayne County Courthouse Sculptures” as well as the “Spirit of Detroit” is apart of America’s Historical Ornamental Metalwork, & the artist (Marshall Fredericks, John Massey Rhind) and the craftsman who actually crafted the metal.

National Standards Apply:
These sculpture represents the great states of America & communities and therefore not for sale making them priceless.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3699
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metaldoctor where is this sculpture at again?

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If this is the county building it is the County storing them poorly not the city.

Metaldoctor

Post Number: 45
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sculpture is located at the U.S. State Department "South Courtyard" which I had the chance to survey.

Metaldoctor

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

STOP THE HACK JOB!!!

There are programs regarding this subject around the country, why not Detroit?....Our great city will only prosper if we don’t forget the past and that includes the craftsman who built her.

http://www.buildingartscollege.us/

Dead_monk
Username: Dead_monk

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Wayne County Courthouse sculptures are in the process of being restored by a reputable sculpture conservator. No need to worry.

Metaldoctor

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If this is the same reputable conservator who restored “The Four Corner Sculptures” he may know how conserve rustic cast bronze sculptures, but does not know the methods of proper restoration of fine reposse craft.

In response to the inspection of the four statues located on the Wayne County Courthouse Tower, I strongly object to the methods of the unprofessional repair.

1.) Common use of methods uses for installing gutters and downspouts:
Using small 2”x2” copper cutouts and pop rivets them together in the most crudest manner, a third grade body shop might do. Trying to fill the consequent joints by smudging sauder over the entire repair area and, It left the appearance of an unprofessional hack job verse any professional preservation or restoration performed by standards, instead hundreds of pop-rivets visible to the naked eye.

2.) The original metal on each base is cut and replaced by a common drip-edge you might find at “Home Depot cd’s similar metals” verse preservation and restoration of the original metalwork reposse.

3.) Prevention of galvanic reaction:
By introducing stainless steel brackets and base galvanic reaction will occur by direct contact of the dissimilar metal.

4.) Voids and Spaces
The sculptures are re-mounted too far from its original position, doubling the amount of tuck pointing material. Open spaces at all mounting brackets and bases will invite weather and insect penetration, open sauder joint will invite future corrosion.

Dead_monk

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to your photos you can not see any detail to talk the way that you are. The dents look like shadows to me. Stainless steel does not react to copper or anything else(but hey i'm not the great metal doctor, so what do i know). About how they are mounted they look flat against the corner and wall to me.:-)

Metaldoctor

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are correct your not the Metal-Doctor, but perhaps you can do what I did which involved a close-up look of the sculptures and while your there make pictures. The picture you are referring to were taking at ground-level across the street from the building.

Standards containing background references and support data
And

Repair Procedures for the correction of material deterioration and failure

Also

http://w3.gsa.gov/__852565c500 543eb4.nsf?OpenDatabase

http://w3.gsa.gov/web/p/HPTP.N SF/02e2bfa0e29bc7dc852565cc005 90728/dd871e2628734b22852565c5 0054b5fc?OpenDocument

http://w3.gsa.gov/web/p/HPTP.N SF/908cfae2e890e1d7852565cc005 91125/4c2b8ab388acd455852565c5 0054b5f0?OpenDocument

http://w3.gsa.gov/web/p/HPTP.N SF/908cfae2e890e1d7852565cc005 91125/b3e7065dcfdd9814852565c5 0054b7b8?OpenDocument

Me2007
Username: Me2007

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These sculptures are our heritage as Detroiters. I believe he restoration of these sculpture can’t bring the beginning of a new better Detroit. Metal doctor sees to have a handle on that fact.

Dead_monk

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for the info metal doctor, have a good one. Take care and keep up the good work.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 725
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MetalDr.:
Have you ever contacted the Farbman company, the owner of the County Building, to offer your services for the repair of the sculptures? Might be the place to start or at least get correct information about the status of these works.

Metaldoctor

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

but of course i did!

Me2007
Username: Me2007

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Fardman Company is pretty big. Why aren’t they doing something about the repair of the sculptures?

Metaldoctor

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody know what happen to the original Lincoln at the downtown library on Woodward?

Jme1405
Username: Jme1405

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does any know whether the Morris Brose sculpture in Capitol Park is in reasonably good condition or does it need restoration?

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 241
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlottepaul, are those old City Hall sculptures still there? It is an absolute travesty that the city allows its history to crumble like that. And I must say, given the absolutely awful way they have been kept, they look pretty good, considering. They really should be preserved, in one way or the other - not left to lie among weeds.

Metaldoctor

Post Number: 70
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thought you might like to know who created these priceless sculptures:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J ._Massey_Rhind

Creditable patina information:

http://www.northernlightstudio .com/patinalec.php

For repair information view the GSA standard guidelines.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 449
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cman710, to be quite honest, I have no idea. I simply came across the photos on flikr.com (I didn't take them) when I was trying to find some pics of Detroit to decorate my office down here in Charlotte NC. On that web site, there is the opportunity to post comments; that might be just a matter of registering or something on that site.

Carptrash
Username: Carptrash

Post Number: 1448
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 6:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I see that you found that wikipedia article on J. Massey Rhind. There was a move to toss the Wayne County Bldg. sculptures into a metal drive during WWII, but I think it was a young Marshall Fredericks who helped nix it. There's an old newspaper around here somewhere about it. Maybe under this . . ....... no? Anyway I suspect that Julius Melchers did the statues at Fort Wayne because he did the ones that ended up at WSU - La Salle and Marquette and Richard and Cadillac, I think. Should be an article on Melchers soon, esp. if I get some help from you bunch. eeeeeeek

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6155
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 6:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carpy!

Metaldoctor

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please note that I did not intend to discredit, downgrade or embarrass anyone, I love Detroit and my heritage and I feel that if I don’t that the art and craftsmanship would be lost forever, therefore prompting me to post pictures and text of the problems that I see. Architectural ornamental metal work is my lifetime conviction and I stand ready for twenty years to make Detroit a better place. Again my most sincere apologies to anyone I have offended.

Sincerely,

The Metal-Doctor

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.