Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Disco D - Found dead « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 991
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparent suicide

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070124/ENT04/7 0124044

and

http://www.urb.com/permalink/2 43/Dave-Shayman-(aka-Disco-D)-1980-2007.html

"You need another drink"...

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 720
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought disco died at Steve Dahl's Comisky Park disco demolition back in '79?

Man, did I have it wrong.

Traxus
Username: Traxus

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jokes about the recently deceased, hilarious.

RIP

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1003
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Jokes about the recently deceased, hilarious.

less hilarious: people who struggled in the factories making a living, and at home raising their families, trying to show the value of work ethic...

while gansta rappas get respek for bustin caps.

grampa jones - who spent his life toiling in a factory to provide a start for his family - dies with a silent obit. yet, anyone with two bass speakers and a microphone gets a mainstream eulogy when they're gone.

rosa parks and proof, side by side?

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 441
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Besides he killed himself. Who honestly feels sorry for anyone who takes their own life? I dont.

Traxus
Username: Traxus

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That’s like saying anyone with a pair of 1200's gets elevated to superstar DJ status, or that anyone with a paintbrush becomes a Picasso when they die. The guy obviously had something figured out amongst personal problems, leave him be.

I’m not elevating the man to position of Christ version 2.0, just showing respect.

Let him rest in peace next to Grandpa Jones.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 232
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Who honestly feels sorry for anyone who takes their own life? I dont.

You can choose to dole out your sympathies however you wish. The young man in question was bipolar.

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 199
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cannot figure out why people would take it upon themselves to pollute this thread hours after its birth.

It should be easy to accept the fact that a bipolar local celeb who commits suicide should get an obituary in the Free Press.

He was a good DJ/producer and I have some of his records. Also, he is not a gangsta rapper.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 233
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some heartless fuckers on this board. Not to mention commenting about someone they know nothing about. Get off your fat lazy Michigan asses people and do something in this world rather than believing your above everyone else. Some still only respond to their id and have not quite evolved into a human. This board is a perfect example of it.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1183
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing in the Freep story about how he was bipolar and on meds...

Read here:

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20070125/ENT01 /701250379/1033

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 993
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shayman fought manic-depression for much of his adult life. He told URB in April of 2006, "It got to the point where I tried to kill myself. It was bad."

- URB.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 235
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only in low class Detroit that the dead are made fun of. We have a lot of catching up to do if we want to even come close to a world class city.

http://www.villagevoice.com/bl ogs/statusainthood/archives/20 07/01/rip_disco_d.php

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3607
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RIP Disco D! You burned bright in your brief time, more than many in all their lifetimes combined.

I have seen this scenario in the arts many times over the years. The illness of manic-depression is deadly but carries rewards with its pitfalls.

A lot of people don't understand it, including some on this thread. Had he died of some rare disease the sympathy would be entirely different. The stigma of mental illness still rules the minds of many.

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 90
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Only in low class Detroit that the dead are made fun of. We have a lot of catching up to do if we want to even come close to a world class city. "

Seriously? You think a few people poking fun at the death of someone is a Detroit thing?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.