Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Samuels Brothers Restaurant « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eboyer
Username: Eboyer

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do any of you "old timers" remember this restaurant in the Eastern Market area? I believe the building it was once in is now occupied by Rocky Peanut Co. My great-grandfather and his brother started this restaurant after they immigrated here from eastern europe. Does anybody have any memories of this old detroit eatery, possibly some pictures?

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3600
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was my favorite breakfast spot in the market. Now Russell Street Deli is my fav.

What ever happened to it? Why did they close?

Tony_box_42
Username: Tony_box_42

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Samuels Brothers Cafeteria very well.
Corned Beef sandwich and rice pudding my daily lunch. "Market People" ate and closed deals
there.

Eboyer

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am pretty positive that my great-grandfather sold it when he retired, but I am not entirely sure. On another note, during superbowl festivities last February, I saw a poster of him handing somebody a sandwich plastered on the first floor windows of the Penobscot building along with other historical photos of immigrant working-class Detroiters. It was pretty neat and quite random.

Downtown_dave
Username: Downtown_dave

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They had the BEST corned beef hash there - baked in a big pan, crispy on top with finely diced onions and green pepper. The cheese blintzes were also wonderful. Coffee from huge urns. Toward the end, the cafeteria was so beat up, floors sagging, wallpaper peeling, employees old and hunched over and loyal and always there - all wonderfully atmospheric. This is one of my best memories of the city.

I introduced my parents to the place after my high school art teacher introduced a group of his students. This later became our frequent Saturday routine: get to the market early and enjoy a great breakfast at Samuel Bros. first before the big crowds arrived.

It was great to see this post, Eboyer, and to be able to contribute a thought or two.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 333
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eboyer...when did Samuel Bros. close? And do you have any old photos of the place?

Eboyer

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The restaurant closed in 1982, 55 years after it opened. The building was run down and the city closed it because of various violations. Supposedly the owner of the building let it go to shit with no remorse.

Tony_box_42
Username: Tony_box_42

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Morris. What was his brothers name?
Roast turkey was the special one day a week.
It would be the biggest turkey he could find.
Morris would carve the turkey as he did the
corned beef by hand.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.