Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Fishing in southeast michigan « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

7milekid
Username: 7milekid

Post Number: 173
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I asked this already but does anyone know of some g ood spots, and does anyone know where i can check out the ice thickness for lake st clair

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What species are you looking for? Do you own a boat? There are some out-of-the way small lakes in northern Oakland County that offer some decent panfishing.

But if I was you I sure wouldn't think about ice fishing this year!

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 429
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out Michigan-Sportsman.com The forums there are a great source for fishing and hunting in Michigan. My screename there is Zofchak. They also have a ice fishing section devoted entirely to Lake St. Clair so you can get updated ice conditions almost daily.
I fished Metro Beach this past weekend and the ice conditions were decent 4-5" in the marina. By this upcoming weekend there should be 5-10 inches on most area lakes. Good luck.

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 248
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The great equalizer is winter. The equipment is cheap and anyone can try it. -- Ice fishing may be good by early next week or even this weekend. You do need a license to fish even in he winter
Please be very careful and follow the safety rules.
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070130/M ETRO/701300333/1003

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went out on Anchor Bay near Anchorville and went out 1/4 mile today no problem, but i would not go much further for another few days though. There are shantys poping up past fair haven in a shallow area by the DNR launch. Also as far as fishing i cant believe it when i see a group of people fishing in SouthWest on the rouge by the sewage plant and zug island. Come on why the hell would you fish there?!?!?!?

Gene
Username: Gene

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep me posted. Cant wait to take my car out on to the ice. Best time for a rescue is now or in the spring with an off shore wind a'blowin.

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 658
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Be careful my friend and go prepared. The thickness of the ice can change quickly. Take a spud and put a couple of eve trough spikes in our pocket. You'll need them to pull yourself out on onto the nice slippery ice if you fall through. Carry a rope too. If you are walking in a group stay about six feet apart so you don't all fall through! Take a compass because if the fog rolls in while you're out on the ice, you'll end up walking in circles for hours. And don't be stupid enough to go out onto the ice with an off shore wind! Have fun!

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 79
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lake St. Clair 1/25/2007

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3001
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lake St Clair 01/31/07:

Anchor Bay

Harrison Twp

St Clair Shores

Grosse Pointe

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2301
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try Newburgh Lake. There are piers for shore fishing.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2376
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great photos!

It's supposed to be windy and in the 20s the next few days, and then high temperatures will average around 10 degrees Saturday through Tuesday. By the beginning of next week things would have to be pretty solid near the shores.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1099
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just remember if you hear a warning voice over a loudspeaker saying "THERE ARE NO FISH UNDER THE ICE", you're in Joe Louis Arena.........

Fareastsider

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How did you get those photos are you a pilot or do you get a ride from a local airport???

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3003
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes.

Fareastsider

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got any more from that day I would be very interested in aerial pictures from the anchor bay area

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.