Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Why do people from the burbs insist,,,,,,, « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Walterwaves
Username: Walterwaves

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On telling everyone they are from Detroit?

I just don't get it. Is it because Detroit became popular all of a sudden people want to associate themselves with it.

I mean lets get real here, if you live in southfield, then you are not a Detroiter. If you live in Warren, you are not a Detroiter.
So on and so forth.

So why after so many decades of when I was growing up on the east side no one even wanted anything remotely to do with Detroit, all of a sudden everyone and their momma is a "detroiter" regardless of whether you reside in the city or not.

Can someone enlighten me?

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1486
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

geographic association and recognizability. is that really that hard to grasp?

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1331
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because when you're in NYC no one knows where Warren is...? This isn't a phenomena limited to the Detroit metropolitan area.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because when you are speaking to someone unfamiliar with SE MI, they have no clue where Waterford or Birmingham or Bloomfield Hills (etc.) are in relation to the "mitten" (hold up your right hand... look at the palm... not the backside!)

Most people can find Detroit.

JMHO.

James
(A metro-Detroiter who lives west of Pontiac on a nice lake north of the Oakland International Airport)

Satisfied?

Walterwaves

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

um no,,,,I'm still not satisfied . Why do most on these forums insist they are from detroit but are not. All of us are here because we either live in Mich or are familiar with it so why do it here?

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 678
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who cares???? Quit being so anal.

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 521
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because they're all wannabe tough guy posers. Or maybe because when they say they are from Lincoln Park, people think they're from Chicago. Maybe they just tell you they are from Detroit because they want you to be scared of them and leave them alone. Maybe most people just want you to stop talking to them and leave them alone. Is that what you wanted to hear? Now are you satisfied?

Here's a little about that from Wikipedia...

"The name Detroit sometimes refers to the Metro Detroit area, a sprawling region with a population of 4,488,335 for the Metropolitan Statistical Area and a population of 5,456,428 for the nine county Combined Statistical Area as of the 2005 Census Bureau estimates. If the adjacent Canadian city of Windsor, Ontario and its suburbs are counted, the area has a total population of about 6 million (see: Windsor-Detroit). Detroit's Urbanized Area population, which measures the physical build of a metropolis, sat at 3,903,377 as of 2000, making it the 9th largest Urbanized Area in the country"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D etroit

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2409
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And WalterWaves, I think You'd be surprised at how many of us do live in the City of Detroit.

Walterwaves

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never said that a lot of you do not reside in the City, well maybe I did but I was directing it at those who do not actually reside within city limits and always say they do. People do it here in NYC also.
I mean, if ya live in Yonkers, then you don't live in NYC.
Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine. But I do believe Spitty in his wise cracker manner actual did nail it.
Thanx Spitty.

Thatgirl
Username: Thatgirl

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Way to make a blanket statement. I grew up and currently live in the burbs, but all my life I've told people I am from Detroit, because as everyone else has expressed here so far, when you are in Toronto and someone asks where you are from, they don't know Southfield, but they do know Detroit. I think is as simple as that and is not just a recently popular thing to do.

And so what if people insist they are from Detroit? What's so wrong about them showing some interest and pride in the city? If there's one thing that this, and all forums need less of, is people like you continuing to try to divide the city from the suburbs.

Spitty

Post Number: 522
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't mention it...Seriously. Don't speak another word of this to anyone.

Actually it's kind of fun to let people go on and say they live in the city when you know they don't. Then as soon as you tell them that you live in the city, they all mention all the same places and assume you live in "those condos on 75 by the new stadium" as if there's no other place you could live.

Walterwaves

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wait a sec, Im not trying to divide any damn one. All I did was pose a damn question. How you answer it , or how you take it is up to you.

As for taking pride, why not take pride in Southfield? What the hell is wrong with Southfield? Notta, take pride in it.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 180
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does this mean I cant root for the Tigers any more?

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1269
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because a community is larger than its political boundaries!

Walterwaves

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

exactly,,,,,,lololol root for the Warren cubs or Rochester roosters dammit. How bout those Hamtramck Gypsies.....lolol

Hugo8100
Username: Hugo8100

Post Number: 24

As tough as Detroiters make themselves out to be, they sure do get their panties in a bunch over the pettiest of things.

I think Walterwaves is just scared that his "I live in Detroit" merit badge is depreciating every time a suburbanite claims association with Detroit and/or its faux tough and gritty image.

Thatgirl

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, you haven't lurked here for very long, have you Walter...because if you have, you would know that many similar questions have been posed on this very topic and it all comes down to the division between the city and burbs...whether you meant it to mean that or not, I don't know, but that's what it sounded like to me.

And I never said that anything was wrong with Southfield, per se, or that people shouldn't take pride in Southfield. However, having lived in Southfield for much of my life, I can say that it's not all that interesting of a place, the public school system there is not very good, and the taxes are way too high. There are probably worse places to live, though...but bottom line, when you are traveling (even within the state of Michigan), people don't know Southfield. They do know Detroit.

Notta? I think you mean nada...

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 939
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm...well I live in Detroit and I'm not tough or gritty. Although I'd like to kick Walter's ass just for suggesting it.

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 200
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"But I do believe Spitty in his wise cracker manner actual did nail it."

---------------------
Walter, not hard to see what your agenda is in here. Divide and conquer , huh? Jane

Mod
Username: Mod

Post Number: 80
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you mail a letter to a friend living in Southfield, and you specify "Detroit" in the address, it won't get lost. Detroit's identity spreads beyond its legal boundaries regardless of local separatist attitudes. When did anyone ever refer to Ford as a "Dearborn automaker"?

Walterwaves

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no damn agenda, it was a question.

I moved to Goshen NY for a period of one month and I told people I lived in Goshen. I lived in Paterson NJ for a couple years and I told people I lived in Paterson NJ,not NYC . Its as simple as that.
Geez, you people are seriously nuts. If anyone has an agenda, its those of you that are ashamed to tell people where you really live.
As for getting my ass kicked, Metro airport is only about an hour and a half from Laguardia, come on down Ill meet you at the gate.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 143
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would you prefer that people say that they live in Ann Arbor? I think that you should be happy that people want to associate themselves with the city. That is, unless they live in Eastpointe!

I always say that I live "near Detroit". Happy?

Beavis1981
Username: Beavis1981

Post Number: 113
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always liked how before every concert at pine knob/dte they say HELLO DETROIT! I usually yell whoo clarkston! When it comes to where I live I say near pontiac. huh? OK do you know where the pistons play? yeah. OK 20 mins north on the same road.

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 46
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "don't tell people you're from Detroit, tell them you're from Southfield" trip is hilarious.

What difference does it make? The territoriality here is ridiculous sometimes. Go anywhere outside of the Midwest and simply telling someone you're from Michigan — is that enough of a sweeping generalization for you, Walter? — and you still get that "who farted" look. If you hold Detroit residential status, and this glomming on to your city is offensive to you, you're kind of screwed because a.) it's going to continue, and b.) you can't stop it. Maybe fretting about what you can control is a more realistic and rewarding option.

And as far being "tough guys" are concerned, I don't remember telling someone where you live as getting that job done. Usually kicking someone's ass does.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 124
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I talk to transportation officials or state legislators, I use "Detroit" to mean the region, and there is never any confusion about it. When I want to speak about the actual 139-square-mile municipality I say "City of Detroit".

I wonder: when The Honorable L. Brooks Patterson travels to distant places, does he tell people he's from "Oakland County, Michigan", and if so, how does he explain to them where that is without using that frightful seven-letter "D" word?

Queensfinest
Username: Queensfinest

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. Just, Wow.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 455
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only in Detroit would we have an issue like this. This debate speaks to fact that there is no sense of regional pride in southeast Michigan.

Jrvass

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoa. Let's all mellow out. Chill on some Luther...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =jRVBB64PJ8I&NR

Goshen NY or Patterson NJ make as much sense as Hillsdale MI, you have to Mapquest it. But Detroit, LA, or NYC gives a geographical reference to the geographically challenged.

Still can't find my neighborhood? Try Williams Lake! ;)

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 742
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do the Pistons say they are from Detroit?
Why did the Lions say they were from Detroit (prior to move downtown)?
Why does Detroit Metro Airport claim to be in Detroit?
Why do the Southfield television stations claim to be from Detroit?

Beavis1981

Post Number: 117
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How is this an issue already? Whats wrong with accurately saying where you live?

Walterwaves

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do the Pistons say they are from Detroit? Because originally ,they are from Detroit before the move many moons ago
Why did the Lions say they were from Detroit (prior to move downtown)? u tell me I dunno, dont follow sports
Why does Detroit Metro Airport claim to be in Detroit? u tell me I dunno
Why do the Southfield television stations claim to be from Detroit?u tell me I dunno

Walterwaves

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, one person with my outlook,,,,,,,amazing

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 744
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know people who live three hours away from Toronto who claim to live in Toronto. This is the same as people from the Chicago area claiming to be from Chicago. If you have a good impression of your Metro's central city (and you expect others to feel the same way) you will tell people that you are from the central city or are "just outside New York" (from example). If you don't you will spend 10 minutes explaining where you really live (and the other person will likely not care).

Personally, I always find it easier to tell people that I grew up "on the Canadian side of Detroit". Even if that description doesn't really make sense, people usually understand what I mean.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 330
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quite a few people say they're from Metro-Detroit, or a suburb of Detroit as well.

The same thing happens with every major city around. I don't get why you're so hung up about it.

Walterwaves

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh,and one last but tiny detail. If so many of you are so proud to associate your selves with Detroit. Get off your asses and help rebuild it instead of bitching about the lowlife mayor allowing the city to fall into dispair.
I see all of you complaining about how everything is falling apart but not one on here donating money or time or services to get it fixed.

I know, I know the answer to that would be why should we give anything when the city only fucks it up and it would have gone to waste.
Nice out. Nice and conveinant for all of you that are so proud to call yourselves Detroiters associate with the city of Detroit.

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1332
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woah... try some xanax...

Beavis1981

Post Number: 122
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow this derailed FAST! btw I'd vote for valium it lasts much longer

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8213
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How often does this tired question come up? Who cares where someone says they are from.

People know Metro Detroit as Detroit. By simplyifying a conversation by saying you are from Detroit doesn't make someone obligated to the city. I wish it did but it certainly does not.

Chicago/Illinois is notorious for anyone within 1-2 hours of Chicago saying they are from Chicago. It certainly beats someone having to explain where Schaumburg is for every conversation.

Beavis1981

Post Number: 123
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

exactly thats why after nobody understands my previous explanation I say 45 mins north of DETROIT

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 789
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha. Geez. I always used to just say "just outside Detroit" when I lived in Ferndale.

Now I live in Chicago, and believe it or not, the same "you don't live in the city, you live in Schaumburg" crap goes on here. I live in the city.

Walterwaves

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I posed a simple question in the beginning of this thread and just wanted some honest opinions and I ended up being attacked.

Now that I call you out on your bullshit I should take meds.

Nice. Really good stereotypical "you won and we give because we have no real answer" answer.

thanx

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3921
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look, if I am in Vegas and someone asks where I am from I am not going to say Troy, or Sterling Heights right off the bat. That makes you look like a douche. It's better saying "Detroit area."

end of thread

Janesback

Post Number: 201
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walter, you seem to need help. Try anger management classes or seek counselling. Its not nice to put "veiled racism " up, use the word cracker in one of your replies, then attack people who reply........You were only out to get a response from the white suburbanites. Do you think your initial post was a question, or is it just a blank comment about race? Jane

Walterwaves

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I am in Vegas, and if I happen to live in Rochester Hills then I am going to tell them I live in Rochester hills mich.

Im sure they will figure out its somewhere near Detroit.
If they are curious then they will ask. Not hard at all.
It makes someone look more of a douche saying they live somewhere they don't/

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1333
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I kinda like this guy, can we keep him?

Jt1

Post Number: 8215
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it acceptable for someone to say they are from Metro Detroit? Would that make everyone happy?

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 187
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in the 'burbs. I spend just about every weekend in Detroit for dining and entertainment. I know for a fact that my support helps the city, and I'm proud to refer to myself as "from Detroit" when I'm in another state and asked where I live.

I associate myself with Detroit. Deal with it.

Jt1

Post Number: 8216
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Now I live in Chicago, and believe it or not, the same "you don't live in the city, you live in Schaumburg" crap goes on here. I live in the city.

I thought we were the only backwards region that wasted our time on such stupid arguments. Maybe it is a midwestern thing.

Walterwaves

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane,,

how the hell did this get to being about race? In all seriousness. Wise Cracker is racial? are you on fucking crack?

Please give me the number to your drug dealer because that shit you are smoking must be good.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1875
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I currently live in Royal Oak and have for many years, but I'm a Detroiter....because I grew up in Detroit, attended college in Detroit, and worked in downtown Detroit for nearly 20 years. And these days I attend numerous events and patronize many fine establishments in Detroit. Doesn't matter where outside the Detroit city limits I'm living these days. I'm a Detroiter!!

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3923
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl, calm down son.

Zug
Username: Zug

Post Number: 170
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If people not from Detroit are saying they are from Detroit is a new "problem," then I think many on this forum would be happy. We have had numerous threads mentioning how people refuse to say they're from Detroit when they live in the suburbs. Especially when traveling. I think its a good thing if people want to be identified with Detroit. Now, if Detroit is only mentioned to look tough when a person would otherwise not claim Detroit, then I may have a slight problem with that.

(Message edited by Zug on January 26, 2007)

Spitty

Post Number: 523
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a lot of gray area here, so I'll try to clarify. It's ok to tell a girl that you're trying to hook up with that you're from Detroit, because that gives you instant street cred and a bad boy vibe. If she gives a look and says that Detroit is ghetto then you come clean, unless she is impressed by the fact that Detroit is considered ghetto (e.g. New York from the show I Love New York and Flava of Love 1 and 2 would be impressed by Detroit being ghetto, but her mom would think you were a thug) If it is a guy and you are trying to be tough, then say you are from Detroit and that should shut him up. Don't try this technique if he can kick your ass because then he will call you out and kick your ass and you will disgrace Detroit's bad ass name. If you're talking to your car insurance guy then you live anywhere but Detroit. When Kwame screws up, he's "their mayor" or "y'all's boy." If you're out of the continent, then you live in Michigan. Also remember, if a championship is won at the Palace then it was the Detroit Shock or the Detroit Pistons. Conversely, if a riot or a malice occurs at the Palace, then it is the Palace of Auburn Hills and crazy backwoods rednecks. You can basically use or abuse "from Detroit" in whatever way benefits you most in each situation.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 112
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got an idea. Once we get this issue solved, can we do something about Michigan Avenue in Chicago? Chicago is in Illinois. Not Michigan. Totally unacceptable.

Beavis1981

Post Number: 126
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No walter that was a way of sayin calm down. It will be alright there are far better reasons for a heart attack!

Beavis1981

Post Number: 127
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

spitty that makes more sense than any post this week

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 305
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's channel 7's fault. They tell us all to "Stand up and tell 'em you're from Detroit". Certainly they can't be limiting their message to those within the city limits!

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

who cares

Cozmikdebris
Username: Cozmikdebris

Post Number: 99
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I mean, if ya live in Yonkers, then you don't live in NYC.
Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine.

One of my pet peeves is partial-sentence thread titles that end with ,,,,,,

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 170
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like Kathleen, I was born, raised, educated, and worked in Detroit. Some of my family also still lives in the city. I feel that I remain a Detroiter though we live in between A2 and Southfield where our jobs are. (The commute to work from Detroit would be horrid!) Working with mostly A2ers I tend to stress to them that I'm originally from Detroit so that I'm not mistaken for other tofu-eating, Birkenstock-wearing, Berkley-wannabes.

Finally, couple of years back while riding the London tube, we started a brief conversation with two young ladies from Germany. They spoke VERY little English but when we replied that we were from Detroit, they said, "OOOOHH!! RED WINGS!!!".

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say I moved from Detroit because I did; lived there nearly all my life. But now I don't tell people I live in Henderson, 'cause nobody knows that's a Las Vegas suburb.

Craggy
Username: Craggy

Post Number: 222
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walter wrote...

"Jane,,

how the hell did this get to being about race? In all seriousness. Wise Cracker is racial? are you on fucking crack?"

Walter...perhaps "wisecracker" would have been better. "Wise Cracker" (an oxymoron, perhaps?)could be perceived as racially based.

Spitty

Post Number: 524
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say I came from my dad's nutsack. If they don't get that then I use the hand map, but I use it as an arrow to point to the nutsack region. If my dad's near me, I'll point to him to really give people a clear picture of where I am from.

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1334
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

(e.g. New York from the show I Love New York and Flava of Love 1 and 2 would be impressed by Detroit being ghetto, but her mom would think you were a thug)

Useless fact: Delicious and Hoopz, the two women Flava chose on Flavor of Love I and II, were from Detroit...

Janesback

Post Number: 202
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please give me the number to your drug dealer because that shit you are smoking must be good.
-----------

Walter, does that reply indicate that you are unable to answer the question, so you choose to attack again? Jane

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 572
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walterwaves needs to untwist his panties so he can come up and accept the Douche of the Day award.

Spitty

Post Number: 525
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susanarosa, you sure they weren't from Southfield?

(Message edited by Spitty on January 26, 2007)

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1335
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well actually, Hoopz now lives in Dearborn (she got arrested there right after the show aired)

I watch too much tv...

Jt1

Post Number: 8218
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I watch too much tv...

If you have watched all the Flav dating shows it might be "I watch too much shitty tv"

Thatgirl

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I see all of you complaining about how everything is falling apart but not one on here donating money or time or services to get it fixed.

I know, I know the answer to that would be why should we give anything when the city only fucks it up and it would have gone to waste."

Wow, some more great blanket statements...and who's being stereotypical now? You better check yourself, man. There are PLENTY of people on here, who live in both city and suburb, who try to make the city and the region a better place. Seriously, did you just stumble on this site recently? Because you probably wouldn't be so surprised at how and why people are *attacking* you.

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1336
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Admittedly true, Jt1

Mod
Username: Mod

Post Number: 84
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was even an episode where Delicious got into it with New York and said, "Don't f*** with me, I'm from Detroit byotch!"

If anyone f***s with me, that's all I gotta say.

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1337
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In related news... anyone been watching The (White) Rapper show with MC Serch? There's a kid named John Brown on there who calls himself King of the Burbs.

It's on right after I Love New York.

Walterwaves

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walter, does that reply indicate that you are unable to answer the question, so you choose to attack again? Jane

No Jane,
It doesn't imply that I cannot answer your question. I answered your question with 2 questions.
Now would you please be so kind as to tell us the source of your crack addiction so we can join in the fun with you.

Jt1

Post Number: 8219
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

In related news... anyone been watching The (White) Rapper show with MC Serch? There's a kid named John Brown on there who calls himself King of the Burbs.

Sadly, I have been watching it. What is worse, "king of the burbs" or the girl whose idol is Vanilla Ice?

That is one clueless bunch of silly white folk. It's nice to know I can relate to someone on TV.

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1338
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, the Vanilla Ice girl got kicked off last week, but we're still stuck with the "King of the Burbs" and Persia, the only talented chick who rubbed her dildo in his face...

Ghetto Revival, baby.

I myself like 100 Proof.

Schoolcraft
Username: Schoolcraft

Post Number: 90
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spittys nailing it. There are only 2 cities in the whole USA where people are in your face with pride saying where they are from.
Its Detroit and NYC.(This is written.)
Why? Many reasons we all probably know.
The Detroit mindset is a region, in general.
However, one could break that down as well. Unless you are in Detroit area talking with fellow Detroit area resident you then break it down. east side, West Side(never capitalize east side), then, which city... usually follows. When I meet people from Detroit region (while outside of Michigan) and they say "from Michigan"
and not Detroit...that is so wrong. And its almost always because they dont have the pride and had a lousy life here and are idiots to boot and still miserable. Also, when I meet white people outside of Michigan...and they say Detroit
you can mostly presume "from Detroit" leads to next question which is, where? which suburb? This isn’t always stereotyping (it could be though) just statistics.. 'from' is allowed to also mean roots.(Detroit city proper)

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 71
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up in Walled Lake. When they rezoned and W. Bloomfield anexed part of it (Orchard lk Rd to Haggerty) I lived in W. Bloomfield. As an adult I've lived all over the city. (Palmer park, Grixdale, Bethune)and Warren. But when anyone asks where Im from I tell them Walled Lake, then they always say "wheres that"? Detroit! So its just easier to say Detroit, because you get tired of explaining. And most times when I clarify with "Detroit" I usually get a response of "Im sorry" LOL. Believe me, nobody thinks detroit is great outside of home. All you hear is BAD things about detroit. Sorry, this is my reality. (if some of you dont agree, Im sorry, but this is they way things happen to me.

Jt1

Post Number: 8220
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I myself like 100 Proof.

Admit it, it's the mohawk.

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1339
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya know, I was thinking it was the shirts with the sleeves cut off, but you might be right...

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 303
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm still trying to figure out what that kid's "Ghetto Revival" entails.

Jt1

Post Number: 8221
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think he is trying to figure it out as well. That is where the true comedy of the show lies.

Hockey_player

Post Number: 304
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe it's a Detroit Synergy type thing.

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1340
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved the guy from King Nubian asking him "Why would you want to revive the ghetto?" That was classic.

Anyone else notice Misfit wearing a Big Proof forever t-shirt in the first show?

(Message edited by susanarosa on January 26, 2007)

Spitty

Post Number: 526
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys just don't get it, he's a freaking entity.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 929
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the only thing better than John Brown's ghetto revival is when he follows up with 'hallelujah hollaback' the dude give props to jay-z AND baby jesus. that's tight.

spiffy - your dad (and his nut sack) must be so proud.

Hockey_player

Post Number: 305
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I miss Misfit.

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1341
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course you do...

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 237
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

eek!

Paulc
Username: Paulc

Post Number: 85
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tell people I'm from 42° 25' North / 83° 1' West. :-)

"Get up and tell 'em you're from Detroit!"

Have a happy weekend - cheers.

Jeduncan
Username: Jeduncan

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In my case it's not like I'm trying to be "hip" by telling people I'm from detroit.

If I go to Cleveland and they ask me where I'm from and I say "Garden City." they're going to give me a puzzled look (or act like they know where it's at)

So I usually just say "Detroit area"

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2889
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This has to be the worst thread ever created in DetroitYes! history.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 135
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

why not call it "Metroit" or, alternatively, "Metroilet," depending on your POV.

and did we find out who jane's dealer is yet?

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1342
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the more important question is, are misfits breasts really fake and if so, why wouldn't she have gotten them bigger?

Come on folks, we need focus here...

Jt1

Post Number: 8224
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think the more important question is, are misfits breasts really fake and if so, why wouldn't she have gotten them bigger?

Don't care and I think they are pretty nice just the way they are.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3693
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pix anyone?

<<<laffin

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3496
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walterwaves,

It's not that people all of a sudden started saying that they now come from Detroit, whereas they never did before!

People have been saying they come from Detroit for the last 306 years.... even if you live outside the city limits.

Whenever I visit relatives in Europe, someone is bound to ask me where I live. Saying Michigan is useless, since no one outside of North America knows where Michigan is. But mention Detroit, and everyone in the world knows where Detroit is!

And it's not peculiar to Detroit. If your from Wimbly, Hatfield, Richmond, Chelsea, or Greenwich... you say you're from LONDON, not those other more obscure places.

Karenk
Username: Karenk

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am 5th generation born in Detroit. Ask me where I'm from and I'll tell ya' - my Mom, but she just happened to be in Detroit at the time. I must be bored to get involved in this one. You guys are funny, really.

Hockey_player

Post Number: 306
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of London, I think that's where Misfit's from.

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 176
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Persia is waaaaay too hood! And she needs a stylist, BAD! She always look like she just woke up, but don't tell her I said that.

How are gonna put a dildo on someone's face? LOL! I challenge you to a duel!

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 177
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out the White Rappers pages on MySpace. Links are on the wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T he_White_Rapper_Show

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 554
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up outside the metro area. I say I am from Michigan, two hours north of Detroit.

Get a clue, most people don't really care where you're from, it's just part of the small talk we make with strangers.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This has to be the worst thread ever created in DetroitYes! history.

second

Janesback

Post Number: 204
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and did we find out who jane's dealer is yet?
------------------------------ --

Walter, my dealers name is Sweet Daddy, hes from Detroit, OK? Not from Southfield, not from DearBorn, but from MoTown itself.
Says he knows you personally and your credit with him is history.

Have a nice weekend Detroiters and everyone even remotely close to the city. Jane

Hooha
Username: Hooha

Post Number: 134
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't it Illich a while back who told some national media he was from Birmingham and everybody got all pissy that he didn't say Detroit?

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 899
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was born and raised in Detroit and work in Detroit but live just outside the city limits. I am a Detroiter!

When people ask me where I live, I say in a house...that usually ends that discussion right then and there.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 425
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A coincidence, this thread.

The guy sitting next to me on a flight home from Dallas was working on his computer until they brought the meal. Then he asked me the following question:

"Going home to Detroit or up on business?"

"Home to Detroit. How about you?

"Me too. Where do you live in Detroit?

"Actually, Bloomfield Hills. What about you?"

"Well, I actually live in Ann Arbor."

Happens all the time.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1006
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i've seen this thread before. the next direction it takes concerns people and organizations not in detroit, that define detroit's image. the ilitch reference touches upon that. is bob seger from detroit?

it's silly to believe that folks 10 feet, 10 blocks, or 10 miles outside of detroit, are vastly different from the folks living within city limits. detroit, as it was said before, is really a region, and it has an identity: its geography, weather, engineering know-how, manufacturing might, sports teams, athletes, musicians, and other celebrities, for example. saying you're "from detroit" is a great way to establish context when starting informal conversation, and you can take it from there.

but walter, in response to the question from your original post:

quote:

Can someone enlighten me?

the answer is no.

Thecarl

Post Number: 1007
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

thanks, susanarosa. i had the tv on recently in the background, and i thought i kept hearing, "king of the verbs." i thought, "what a sweet name for a rapper!" i wished i had come up with that name.

but now - i can take that name! and, even though i'm a white kid from birmingham, i will refer to myself as a detroit rapper! sweet!

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 944
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny.

One of my pet peeves is when someone is out of town and says "I am from ____________________, its suburb of Detroit." as if to distance themselves from the CoD.

Tiorted
Username: Tiorted

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey Walterwaves:

if I was born at beaumont but grew up in palmer park can I call myself a Detroiter?

what if I was born at Van Dyke and Outer Dr. but grew up in Sterling Hts am I Detroiter?

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 366
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carl, I second your 10 feet part. I live about 1/2 a block away from Detroit.

And please, does anyone think someone in some part of the country would know where Grosse Pointe is? Unless they saw Grosse Pointe Blank and were curious/stupid enough to look, I highly doubt it.

As for the worst thread ever:
Thirded.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 2312
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And please, does anyone think someone in some part of the country would know where Grosse Pointe is? Unless they saw Grosse Pointe Blank and were curious/stupid enough to look, I highly doubt it.

I disagree. Grosse Pointe, Pontiac and Dearborn are probably the most nationally recognizable names of Detroit suburbs.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 369
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I probably should concede to that point, Hysteria. I have had a few instances where I have said Detroit area and then specifically Grosse Pointe when asked. People do know about it. I just forgot when I posted the first time. (Still thinking about that Thai Food I had at Bangkok Crossing downtown).

As for Dearborn, it is hard not to recognize, with the large Muslim population there.

(Message edited by SCS100 on January 26, 2007)

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 95
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stand up and tell 'em you're from (insert city name here)!

Thecarl

Post Number: 1008
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Grosse Pointe, Pontiac and Dearborn are probably the most nationally recognizable names of Detroit suburbs.

hysteria, if folks know those communities, it's only because they know detroit - and if you tell those same people you're from detroit, they'll instantly ask: "where [in detroit]?"

now, go to columbus, georgia - or geneva, new york - or buena vista, colorado - or for that matter, buena vista, michigan - and tell people you're from rochester (michigan). generally, you'll see them drawing up a mental map of the united states, finding michigan, searching the state...and returning a blank or confused look. they'll probably tell you they thought rochester was in new york.

Hysteria

Post Number: 2313
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

hysteria, if folks know those communities, it's only because they know detroit

That's why I called them Detroit suburbs.

Thecarl

Post Number: 1009
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

quote:
hysteria, if folks know those communities, it's only because they know detroit

That's why I called them Detroit suburbs.

strangely, hysteria, you manage to dilute your own point. carry on!

Hysteria

Post Number: 2314
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Simply put -

You can say you're from Dearborn and people know you're from metro Detroit. If you don't get that, I don't know what else to say.

Beavis1981

Post Number: 133
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hysteria- they actually gave a shout-out to dearborn,MI on the simpsons a few months back.

Nextstopbroadway
Username: Nextstopbroadway

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally i am proud that other people tell others they live in the city that i actually live in, weather its geographic association and recognizability, or its just to be cool. i put off moving downtown for 3 years because i couldn't talk anyone to move back down to detroit with me(I bought a house in ferndale to flip it and live there for 3 years)finally i just came down here myself. Best decision i ever made.

Jrvass

Post Number: 27
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was born at Hutzel (Women's) Hospital.

So I guess, due to my birth certificate, I am a Detroiter. Though I never "officially" considered myself one as I grew up in Birmingham and Bloomfield Hills. Then lived in Marquette for 4 years, then Waterford for the past 13 years.

I've worked all over Metro-Detroit. From Rockwood to Saginaw to Mt. Pleasant to Chelsea. Even once in Bellaire up near Traverse City.

Big fucking deal.

The best time I ever had was when I was being trained as a copier repairman... the service manager "sprayed" a bunch of people at the bus stop by flying through a big puddle! :-)

I don't fix copiers anymore, nor cars! I now fix mainframe software programs for hefty amounts of coin. Thank you very much.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5446
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 7:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're from Detroit, then should be a true Detroiter. If you're from the suburbs, then you should be a suburbanite.Years ago I asked someone where are you from? this person replied I'm from Detroit. Then I said REALLY? This person responded that I'm actually from Dearborn. If some tells you what city you are from, tell truthfully that you're from that city.

New2theeastside
Username: New2theeastside

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh,and one last but tiny detail. If so many of you are so proud to associate your selves with Detroit. Get off your asses and help rebuild it instead of bitching about the lowlife mayor allowing the city to fall into dispair.

THANK YOU. I don't really care where you say you are from. I do care that the City of Detroit becomes the city that I know it can. You don't have to "live" in the city to volunteer for Habitat for Humanity, or Youthville, or any one of the dozen organization that I can rattle off the top of my head. That would however, show this PRIDE in Detroit that seems to run wild on this forum.

If you don't want to pay the taxes, or send you kids to DPS, than at least give your TIME to make this thing called Detroit (that we all seem to love) a better place.

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 88
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im 20 and was born and raised in the burbs. Frankly I cant stand suburbia and once i have the means I plan on getting a place in Detroit.

With that said when im traveling out of state and someone asks where im from I proudly say Detroit. Its the city I love and it give sme the opportunity to tell this person, who usually has an inquisitive look on their face, all the good things happening in the city and why I love the place.

Some people do it for geographic purposes, others to be cool, I do it because I take pride in the place. I do much of my shopping downtown, eat at the restaurants, and im down there at least once a week even though I work and go to school out in Rochester. If you dont like the fact I say "I'm from Detroit" then tough shit.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.