Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » A Salute to Victor Bakery « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3610
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stumbled across this on Esteban's www.hpfolks.com which pays tribute to a great little business that has rolled on through all of Highland Park's ups and down. Located between the Model T plant and the now defunct ruins of the the City Hall / Police / Fire center this bakery has persevered to provide inexpensive quality baked goods over the decades.

If you are ever in the neighborhood stop in, as I do, and give them some business. You'll meet some really nice hardworking people and enjoy some great baked goods. [Cheese Danish are my favs]

Tony_box_42
Username: Tony_box_42

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, next time you go to Victor Bakery check out the Coney Island restaurant just off Woodward.
I can't remember the name. Not only Coneys but dishes made with hot dogs. Beans and franks and spaghetti and hot dogs. Get the story of the photo of F.D.R. on the wall. TONY

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell,next time you go to Victor bakery check out the Coney Island off Woodward. I can't remember the name. The usual Coneys and Chili.
They also serve Beans and Franks,Spaghetti and Franks and other dishes made with Hot Dogs.
Get the story of the photo of F.D.R. on the wall

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's called Victor Red Hots. Great Chili Mac and if they still have it, order a bowl of beans.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2284
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chamberlain Bakery in SW Detroit has really good stuff, and it gets few mentions.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4635
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Closed a while back, as did Cousins. :-(

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2286
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guess so, as their phone's disconnected... Damn! Liked their dark breads.

But I'm dusting off my Welbilt breadmaker tonight and try so new recipes tomorrow.

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try the Dexter/Davison Rye at Avalon.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.