Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » City Council to State: Repeal Residency law « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 182
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a couple of weeks old, but hadnt seen this mentioned before:

http://www.michigancitizen.com /default.asp?sourceid=&smenu=7 4&twindow=Default&mad=No&sdeta il=3993&wpage=1&skeyword=&sida te=&ccat=&ccatm=&restate=&rest atus=&reoption=&retype=&repmin =&repmax=&rebed=&rebath=&subna me=&pform=&sc=1070&hn=michigan citizen&he=.com

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2896
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woah, will this law really help the city's fiscal problems?

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 183
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, unfortunately I think it will prevent the city from hiring the best and the brightest to turn the city around. Many of the most qualified people for any of the city jobs will not be hired because they will refuse (and in many cases, rightfully so) to live in Detroit at this time, and you can't blame them.

On the other hand, I certainly see the benefit of having city employees living in Detroit. Economically and otherwise. I would imagine a police officer may take more care in his job if his nieghborhood, where his family lives, is part of what he is protecting, rather than a cop who drives in from Novi and leaves each night

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2962
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 3:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never felt, until recently, that Detroit cops were simply mercenaries...But there seems to be no interest in any sort of law enforcement that does not involve generating revenue for the city. Obviously there are other factors involved, such as frequent shuffling of brass and lack of manpower.
However, the last few years have seen a rise in obscenely delayed response times to crimes in progress. I'm sick of hearing stories about friends seeing b&e and carjacking cases IN PROGRESS where "no car is available" until an hour after the fact.

Residency won't solve the city's financial problems, but it will create a pool of personnel who actually view city residents as neighbors.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 330
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If City of Detroit employees don't have to live in the City, why couldn't someone from a neighboring city run for mayor of Detroit?

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 331
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If City of Detroit employees don't have to live in the City, why couldn't someone from a neighboring city run for mayor of Detroit or an elected position, much less simply be employed by the city and paid from city funds while being allowed to live anywhere?

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I totally agree that city employees should live in the city. I am sick and tired of hearing that 60$ of cops live in the suburbs. The best and brightest not moving here argument doesn't hold up with me. Based on above comments are we to assume that amongst 800,000+ citizens you won't be able to find someone who can do the job? Yes, there may be some scarce skill positions that can't be filled but most will and if someone wants the job bad enough they can move into the city. Detroit has plenty of housing stock and a variety of neighborhoods to choose from that need people living in them to keep them viable. And as far as schools go there are good public schools to choose from - they are not all bad. My son goes to an amazing public school - and is receving a much better education than his cousins in Royal Oak are - and he is in a diverse class room setting. Good for the City Council. Mayor Archer's biggest mistake was letting the State take away residency law.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 866
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd support a two hiring scoring system or a bonus payment system for city workers who reside within the city boundaries. That allows those who choose to live outside the City the option to do so while encouraging economic activity in city neighborhoods.

Nyburgher
Username: Nyburgher

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No wonder Detroit is in this kind of shape. There has to be a serious incentive system to make city employees live in the city or an outright requirement. I think a tax of say one third of the salary on non residents would be right. For people like cops-- it has to be a requirement for the job.

Why would Detroit want or need employees who don't care enough about the city to live in it. In NY we call people like that scum and luckily the urban design of the city makes life hard on them.

New2theeastside
Username: New2theeastside

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you have to have a different mix of people to create a "world class" city. I think especially in SE MI that there is such an overwhelming "fear" of Detroit that if given an option, a majority of the people(that have never lived in Detroit) would always choose the suburbs over the city. I don't believe even a huge incentive or tax would overcome the perceived negativity that Detroit has for most of the over 30 crowd.

I do believe however if given the choice between their JOB and moving to Detroit, they would choose to move(especially with the job market the way it is). I also believe that once they lived here, they would see how GREAT the city really is and maybe(God forbid) even like it.

I like the idea on its merits, it will be interesting to see how it plays out

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1075
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

city government(like most)- all talk no action

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 344
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just pay the Detroit cops (or any city employee for that matter) more if they live in the city or something like that. Wouldn't that work? Seems like that would be all the necessary incentive that people suggest might be needed.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 637
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seem to recall a news story about a year ago that detailed several top Kilpatrick Administration officials who don't live in the City of Detroit. It seems Kwame filled several important positions with suburbanites.

Former Chief Development Officer Walt Watkins lived in Bloomfield Hills when he served in Kwame's cabinet. Former Chief Operating Officer, Al Fields, lived in Grosse Pointe while he served.

The current City Planning and Development Director Douglass Diggs also lives in Grosse Pointe.

Water and sewage director Victor Mercado lives in West Bloomfield.

Glenn Blanton, the Executive Director of Cobo Hall and the civic center, lives in Southfield.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warrior - I have met Al Fields recently and he just recently moved to Detroit. Everyone should live in Detroit we should annex Oakland County haha

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 185
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warrior- Kilpatrick has since instituted a rule that his personal appointees must live in the city

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2363
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I support the residency requirement. In a way this is the perfect time for the city to do this. Employees cannot quit if they are forced to live in the city...where else will they work in this economy? The city is giving them a job, the least they can do is live in the city.

I believe that the teachers should have to live in the city as well. They want wage increases but many are not paying taxes for city property.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 186
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And, a large percentage of Detroit teachers do not even enroll their own children into DPS. Of course, neither does our mayor

New2theeastside
Username: New2theeastside

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:
Of course, neither does our mayor

I believe one child does go to DPS Spirit

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4634
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Just pay the Detroit cops (or any city employee for that matter) more if they live in the city or something like that.

Love to see the Unions explaining why its membership accept a two-tiered wage scale based on residency.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.