Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Michiganian or Michigander? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4629
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One silly thread deserves another>

So which one are you?

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 236
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

geek or dork?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1424
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Proud Michigander, not so proud geek. :-)

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 457
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huron, no, wait, Eagle, no, wait, Tartar, no wait, Warrior, ah hell, Michigander.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5061
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The state's take on this:

http://www.michigan.gov/hal/0, 1607,7-160-15481_20826_20829-5 4118--,00.html#michiganian

I prefer Michiganian. One sounds like a duck, and was meant to as an slight/insult.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 185
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michiganian. Michigander sounds like a goose, i've always hated it.

Tiorted
Username: Tiorted

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

michigander

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1083
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of which, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Michigan; 170 years old today.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1643
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigander all the way

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 367
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm proud to be a duck/goose/whatever bird you can think of.

Michigander

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 864
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigander is the official state term.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5062
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Planner, did you miss my link?

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 97
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about Michiganite? Kinda sounds like some type of mineral. I've always preferred Michiganian, I hate the -gander suffix.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 5939
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wolverine pretty well covers all bases.

Scottr

Post Number: 186
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

except for state fans, karl... or notre dame fans like me. :-)

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2274
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're Wisconsinites in WI, where the state rock is red granite and its mineral is galena.

BTW, Michiganite is used.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on January 27, 2007)

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1272
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the mix up the usage of Michiganian and Michigander. It keeps people on their toes.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3614
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Call me what you like as long as you call me for lunch."

Wolverine all the way. Ummm ganders...

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2014
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are from Detroit, you are called a "Detroiter." So, if you are from Michigan, then why aren't you called a "Michigan-er?" "Michiganian" changes the sound of the state's name, making it sound like you are from "Michigane." "Michigander" makes it sound like you are from the state of "Michigand."

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5063
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you serious?

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 195
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I'm telling people what I am, Michigander. If I'm telling people where I'm from, Wolverine.

Royce

Post Number: 2015
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 6:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan, I'm always serious. The problem I have with your response is that you don't offer a rationale for why you disagree. It's just a disparaging remark to either make you appear more intelligent or to try to make me look less intelligent.

I stated my claim as to what I think people from the state of Michigan should be called, and I backed it up with logical reasoning along with examples to support that claim. If you want to refute what I said, then state your claim and back it up with your reasoning. To say anything less is an insult to my intelligence.

BTW, the creator of this thread did intend it to be taken lightly. If the subject matter for you, Lmichigan, is "too silly," then why did you bother to write a three word post?

Mthouston
Username: Mthouston

Post Number: 687
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 7:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigander...
And Proud of It,Damn it....:-)

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 742
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 7:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Through the length of your post, you've just managed to negate your own point, Royce.
It's all good in the 'hood though. :-)

Anyway, I was raised as a "Michigander".

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 760
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 7:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigander, suffering from the same problem as Detroitej72. I'm a Huron. I've got a shirt that says Eastern Eagles on it and when I wear it people out here think I went to Eastern Washington State University, the OTHER Eastern Eagles......

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 329
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't Granholm accidentally clear this up in her first go around running for governor?

Bpjeff
Username: Bpjeff

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigander here - also a Tartar, Boilermaker and Titan!

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1085
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroiter

Scottr

Post Number: 187
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

royce, if you're looking for rationale... 'canadian' changes the sound of the name of the country. what about 'french'? 'welsh'? should mexicans be mexicons? by your rational, yes, they should be. But changing the sound has nothing to do with it, so we end up with things like Michiganian. And carrying the '-er' line of reasoning from 'detroit' to 'michigan', two words that have little in common other than geographic location, makes no sense, and isn't carried out in other states or countries either. So far as the reason it's MichiganDer vs. Michiganer, Lmichigan was correct, it was originally an insult by Abe Lincoln towards Lewis Cass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M ichigander

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3498
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are folks from Birmingham.... Birminghamsters? :-)

Long_in_the_tooth
Username: Long_in_the_tooth

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michiganish. ala Sweden
Michiganesse. ala Japan
Michiganan. ala Mexico
or.. how but something for
M.I.C.H.I.G.A.N.

Queensfinest
Username: Queensfinest

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigander sounds weird. Michiganian sounds classier.

By the way, has there ever been any serious effort to return Wayne State's nickname to the Tartars, instead of the Warriors?

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1740
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michiganerd

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1434
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

audio/wavFun
FunYet.wav (14.0 k)

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 460
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In a perfect world we would all be known as Spartans.

But true enough, not everyone is perfect.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1741
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigoon

Douglasm

Post Number: 761
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True story....
Friend of mine asked me a question out of the blue the other day. "What's a Yooper", he said in all sincerity. "Don't know", I replied. "I'm a Loper."

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3137
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mittens...from the land of the mitt...

Scs100

Post Number: 370
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure Star. I'd love to be a spartan. (quoting Borat, "pause.... not!")

(Message edited by SCS100 on January 27, 2007)

Royce

Post Number: 2016
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scottr, New York-er!

BTW, what do you call someone from Maine?

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2287
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Strange, but I never knew I talked like a Yooper (or Canadian) before living in Detroit. Guess some Wisconsities talk like Yoopers (or they talk like us). That's probably some evidence that many (most?) Yoopers would rather have their own 51st state or be part of Wisconsin.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on January 27, 2007)

Scottr

Post Number: 189
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, people from Maine are indeed called Mainers. And yes, 'New Yorker' is the term for residents of that state. but these couple of examples are poor statistics, and for every example you can think of that does end in -er, there even more that don't. While I don't have the time to list every state in the union along with what their residents are called, I would be willing to bet you'll find more that end in '-an' than anything else, often while dropping part of the name or adding an 'i' or something, and a few changing the sound of the name of the state.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3700
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<<<West Sider...

'nuff said...

Royce

Post Number: 2017
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Scottr, I'm not saying that the "er" ending applies to every state. I'm saying that it can apply to Michigan and a few other states, like Maine or Rhode Island.

One thing that came to light during this little debate is that most states' names end in a vowel. As a result, most will add the "ian" and not the "er" because it's not grammatically correct to add a suffix with a vowel to a word that ends in a vowel. Residents in Indiana are called Indianians. Residents of Georgia are called Georgians (residents in Texas for some reason are called Texans, not Texanians).

One exception to this rule would be when the word ends in a "y" and the "y" is used as a vowel. In that case you drop the "y" and add "ian" or "ier." Residents in Kentucky are called Kentuckians. If we had a state called Carry, the residents would probably be called "Carriers."

Michiganer is my preferred choice, but Michiganian is OK in my book. Michiganite is also acceptable. Michigander, however, makes no sense. How a state's name ends has a lot to do with what suffix you put at the end of it to describe its residents.

Here are the other states not mentioned above that don't end in a vowel: Arkansas, Connecticut, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Oregon, Utah, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming. Would anyone like to tackle these, especially Massachusetts and Connecticut? For me, I would call residents of Connecticut Connecticutters.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3702
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce you been up all night thinking about this eh?

<<<laffin

Royce

Post Number: 2019
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5066
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 4:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigander does make since because it was a name given to a state. You're trying to apply rules where rules need not apply. You're trying to make set sense out of something that doesn't have to. If we were called Michigoogans that would be the official name.

Michigander:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M ichigander

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 65
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 4:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn`t Michiganian made official sometime back in the seventies? Seems to me there was some kind of ruling from the state legislature, not really sure.
IMO though, it as well as Michiganite sounds too high-brow. Michigander on the other hand, sounds like it comes from someone who has a sense of humor that doesn`t take him/her self too seriously. No big deal any way, but they don`t call people from Chicago Chicago-ers, do they?:-) My vote goes to Michigander.

Royce

Post Number: 2022
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, Lmichigan, I thought that trying to make sense out of things in this world is the reason you become educated. You come across as someone who just accepts things as they are just because that's the way they have always been. Heaven forbid where women and blacks would be if they took that attitude eons ago.

Now, Lmichigan, since it's no big deal to you regarding what people are called in Michigan, then please don't get offended if I decide to call people from Lansing "Lugnuts." If Abraham Lincoln can get away with calling citizens of Michigan "Michiganders," and it's accepted, then being called a "Lugnut" shouldn't bother you.

BTW, what do they call residents in Lansing?

Douglasm

Post Number: 762
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 7:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce....
.....out here it's Washingtonians. Don't know what they call themselves in D.C., though.....

Royce

Post Number: 2023
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 7:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michmeister, your justification for liking Michigander is because Michiganian and Michiganite sound too "high brow." That's priceless.

I hope you don't get offended when someone calls you "educated." In your book that would just be too "high brow" of a category to put you in, wouldn't it?

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1742
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigangsta©

(Message edited by Hornwrecker on January 28, 2007)

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 56
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MICHIGANDER

Royce

Post Number: 2025
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker, that's it, "Michigangsta." Priceless.

(Message edited by royce on January 28, 2007)

Michmeister

Post Number: 69
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gosh, Wally, that`s a kinda heavy handed response, doncha think? This isn`t quite the world hunger problem being discussed here. Take a medium sized chill-pill, and if that doesn`work, try Ex-Lax.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5067
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seriously, Royce, chill out. Just as you are reading way too far into Michiganian/Michigander, you then go off on a tirade about me being too trusting or not curious enough intellectually and then use ridiculous examples. Do you really thing I'm going to tell you what Lansing residents are called, now? If they were called Lugnuts that's what they'd be called, period.

I know that you don't know me, but know your know me better than that, and by that I mean to accuse me of intellectual laziness. lol

(Message edited by lmichigan on January 28, 2007)

Royce

Post Number: 2026
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Michmeister, it was a heavy handed response, for you. Come back to the forum when you finally have something intelligent to say. Oh, my bad. To say something intelligent would be too "high brow" for you, now wouldn't it?

Royce

Post Number: 2027
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Lmichigan, do you think that saying to someone, "Are you serious? is going to get a positive response from them? No, it's not.

Remember, you decided to make that comment. You didn't hear me make a comment about your original post on this thread. What I don't understand is that we both agreed that we don't like the term "Michigander." Yet, you had to take it to another level.

Again, there are a lot of you on this forum who are quick to put down the person offering another perspective. And when people bitch and moan about why nothing different ever gets done in this city, region, or state, the evidence to prove why it never happens is right here on this forum.

I am surprised with you, Lmichigan, that with all of the debates that we have had on different issues, that you would chime in like Jelk or some other jerk-type forumer(or is it forumian?). It's too bad but it's your bad, not mine.

Scs100

Post Number: 377
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, there are plenty of us willing to help, we can just never get out. Me, I would love to help on many occasions. But either I have no way of getting to the location, have something to do, am too young, or am prevented from going. And you are taking all of this way too seriously. This was a joke thread, just like that suburbs thread. Read the first post again.

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 783
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I may have taken flight, but I am still a Michigander!

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 449
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im a Detroiter first and foremost but I often just say I am from Michigan and leave out the cutesy ganders and ers.

"In a perfect world we would all be known as Spartans"
How True.

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 993
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I kinda get the feeling this "royce" is a insufferable/major league prick. It could be worse...he could live next door.

Walterwaves
Username: Walterwaves

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was always partial to Michigander.

quack quack

Michmeister

Post Number: 72
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce probably had a toy goose/gander as a kid that his daddy took away and his adult life has become so unbearable that he longs for it still, even today, leaving him bitter and lonely. His very own Rosebud. Sorry pal, you are shooting chipmunks with an elephant gun.

Craggy
Username: Craggy

Post Number: 224
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michiganian.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1529
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To Royce's credit, "Michiganer" does show up as third in the list of choices on the aforementioned Wikipedia page. Still, Michiganer looks kind of funny, probably because there is no word in the English language ending in "aner" with the short A pronunciation. (I assume "Michiganer" rhymes with "planner" and not "planar".)

Maybe we'll have to go with Michiganner.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1530
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To use it in a sentence: "For a true Michiganner, aunt rhymes with ant, and merry rhymes with marry rhymes with Mary."

Karenk
Username: Karenk

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lived in Maine forever, well, it only seemed that way - but from there you're a Mainiac, honest. I thought Yooper was someone from the Upper Peninsula, you know, U.P. Call me confused.

Nanska
Username: Nanska

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michiganian. The other may be correct, but Michiganian sounds better rolling off of the tongue.

Scs100

Post Number: 382
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I apologize in advance, but it is too good to resist.

Michigander is definitely one for the birds.

Michmeister

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Du hast ein Vogel....:-). I couldn`t either.

Scs100

Post Number: 383
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-)

Royce

Post Number: 2029
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I kinda get the feeling this "eastside" is an insufferable/major dumb ass. It could be worse...you could be him.

Royce

Post Number: 2030
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michmeister, I heard that low-brow people make terrible stand-up comedians. Your post #72 confirms this.

Eastside

Post Number: 994
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im not sure Michmeister post #72 was trying to be funny...more like a sad truth.

Michmeister

Post Number: 77
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Royce, opinions are like assholes-everybody has one and they all stink. Just bend over backwards and take a whiff. Just don`t get your head stuck.

Royce

Post Number: 2031
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Eastside, you're not too sure about any thing are you? Slow-minded people usually have that problem.

Michmeister, "Childish" must be your real name, because you are definitely living up to it.

Scs100

Post Number: 385
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, your real name must be "Stuck up" since you think that anyone that is against you is dumb.

Michmeister

Post Number: 79
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I`m not childish, I`m just a sarcastic little son of a bitch who just honestly didn`t understand why you responded as you did. It is possible to disagree with someone without calling them uneducated (dumb).It is an integral part of respecting your fellow man, something that may be lacking in your persona. I don`t know you so I had no reason to dis you until you kicked me in the n..s. Do me, and everybody else,as well as yourself, a favor, tone it down a bit unless it is really important. I`m a Michigander and you are a Michiganer-SO WHAT! Doesn`t mean that we can`t be friends, and sure as hell doesn`t mean that either one of us is any smarter or dumber than the other.
This thread is fluff and should be treated as such-HAVE FUN but not at anyone elses expense.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1746
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Eastside

Post Number: 998
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce might want to work on his personal charm...you know that shit personality of his ain't going over well with the ladies.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1531
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 6:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Can't we just all get along?"

---- Rodney King ( wishing he were either a
Michigander or a Michiganian, but not a Michiganster)

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1345
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigogoganderianergistipalian

(Message edited by susanarosa on January 31, 2007)

Michmeister

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

`nuff said. In the spirit of not wanting to beat a dead horse, peace be with you, my unknown friend, Royce.

Royce

Post Number: 2033
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 3:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michmeister, you definitely had "fun at my expense." And like you said, you don't know me. However, I've had to deal with a lot of sarcastic folks on this forum. Forturnately, most of them have gone over to another forum because Lowell kicked their sophomoric butts off of here because they constantly wanted to insult forumers whose opinions they didn't agree with. I was one of them. As a result of this experience, I am quick to defend myself and my positions, especially if the person is attacking me and not attacking my positions.

So if I want to be insulted, Michmeister, I can just go over to hotfudge and see what lovely things they've been saying about me. I don't need to take that stuff from anybody on DetroitYes.com, and I don't expect to. I would like to think that since those clowns are gone that this forum can be more civil and act as a repository of great information and great debates that all can enjoy.

Michmeister, I want you to reflect on what I just read before I accept your apology. Your response to this post will determine my next move.

Walterwaves
Username: Walterwaves

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe Michicaliphragilisticexpealado sious?

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 306
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With your left palm on a mirror, envision a rabbit jumping over it. MICHIGAN. Why all the BS and hostilities. Pay It Forward!

Royce

Post Number: 2036
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, comment, L,michigan?

No, comment, Michmeister?

(Message edited by royce on February 04, 2007)

Michmeister

Post Number: 89
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing more to say. If you want to fantasize an apology, go ahead if it makes you feel better. What I offered was an olive branch for peace. Re-analyze your response to my first post or better yet let someone else read it and ask their opinion- not if I were right or wrong, but if your response was justified, that my using the expression high brow was grounds for calling me uneducated. I could have said stuffy, snooty or a list of expressions as long as my left arm. Fact is, I stand behind my opinion, and furthermore, I think we have exhausted too much energy nit-picking. If you still want to call me whatever, go ahead. This is my last post on this (side) subject. I assure you, I will never respond to a post of yours again if you remain so negative, Royce.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 835
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michgander.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 836
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michgander.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1555
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as we are speaking of the east side, I guess I should put in a plug for Irvinck's Bar, East Warren, just West of Cadieux and about across the street from Harpos. Owned by Frank Irvinck, it was a meeting place for the old 14th District Democratic party, and Frank sponsored our Detroit softball team for quite a few years in the late 60's and early 70's.
When Frank sold out, I think the place became a gay bar. Many of my teammates did not want to patronize the place then, but I always opined that if we could solicit a good third baseman or a left-handed batter, maybe we might finally make the playoffs.

Royce

Post Number: 2041
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michmeister, I did not call you "uneducated." My initial response to you was to point out the flaw in your reasoning. If you want to be called a "Michigander," despite the fact that the term was coined by Abraham Lincoln as an insult to Lewis Cass, then that's fine. However, to say that the terms "Michiganian" and "Michiganite" are too "high brow" as being your justification for accepting "Michigander" is insulting to me and anyone who thinks that they are perfectly acceptable terms.

Therefore, your reasoning says to me that I'm too "high-brow" or too "stuck-up" because I prefer to be called these terms over the term "Michigander," which was meant to be an insult. For you to accept being called an insulting term is the same to me as you accepting being called "uneducated" or the opposite in which YOU would be offended if someone called you "educated" because "educated" would sound too "high-brow" of a term to use to describe you.

Now, if you had said that your prefer "Michigander" just because you like the sound of it or whatever, then you would have no argument from me. However, to say that the other terms are too "high-brow" rubbed me the wrong way causing me to respond as I did. If you thought I was calling you "uneducated," then I sincerely apologize because that was not my intent. Therefore, if you can accept my apology, then I accept your olive branch.

(Message edited by royce on February 04, 2007)

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 72
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about "unemployed-er"?

As an aside, my fiance has just pointed out that the RenCen kinda looks like Detroit is giving Windsor the middle finger. I think it's the single funniest thing I've heard in ages.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5093
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, I'd been away from this thread for days (originally on purpose, and then I'd simply forgot about it), and come in only to see you still taunting a response from me.

Grow the f%ck up, already, and act your damn age.

Royce

Post Number: 2043
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 4:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan, growing up and acting your age is what I've been trying to get you to do as it relates to this thread. Now, to say that you are alright with "whatever" someone calls you as a person who lives in Michigan, is an immature, child-like response, not one befitting someone who considers themselves educated. Your response said to me, "I don't care to question why someone calls me what they call me. If that's what they call me, then I'm OK with it."

To me it is a big deal, and to hear you just blow it off as something that's not important bothers me. All of my examples were an attempt to point that out to you. I'm a Detroiter. If someone called me a "Ghetto-roiter" I wouldn't be happy with that name, regardless of the fact they have been referring to Detroiters as that for years.

Lmichigan, if I was to respond to one of your posts with, "Are you serious?" How would you respond? Like I said before, I'm always serious about the things that I write on this forum, and for you to question it rubs me the wrong way because if that's all that you were going to say, you could have kept it to yourself.

Well, that's all that I'm going to say on this matter. I hope you can see my point of view. In no way am I trying to taunt you. I simply want you to think about your initial response to me and think about how you would feel if I or anyone else said that to you. Peace.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5096
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're fishing for an apology you're not going to get. The fact that you're still stuck on my initial response to your question says a lot about you.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 110
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bryan A. Garner's "Modern American Usage" answers this question, as well as just about any question at all about the English language. The man's brilliant, I say.

In any case, Garner says "Michigander" is the predominant (not "predominate") form, even though state statute decrees "Michiganian."

"Michiganite" is a rare variant used by the U.S. Government Printing Office.

Royce

Post Number: 2046
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan, why are you so reluctant to answer my questions? Did you or did you not say, "Are you serious?" My question to you still is, "What kind of response did you think I or anyone else for that matter would give? Did you honestly think I would have said, "No, I'm not serious but thanks for asking."

Lmichigan, I'm not fishing for a damn apology. I want to know if you really thought things out when you made that three word question, because if someone had said that to you I wonder what your response would have been?

You're the one, Lmichigan, who's dragging this whole thing out because of your reluctance to answer my questions. You shouldn't be concerned about what it says about me. You should be concerned about what it says about you. My opinion of you has taken a serious nose dive because of the fact that you simply won't answer the questions. However, since you don't seem to be bothered by what someone thinks of you, I'm going to stop here. The ball, Lmichigan, is in your court.

(Message edited by royce on February 05, 2007)

(Message edited by royce on February 05, 2007)

Michmeister

Post Number: 92
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool, life is too short, let`s drive on.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1354
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, ya'll will fight about anything...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.