Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » "The Garbo of Detroit" « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7376
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01 /27/nyregion/27trixie.html?hp& ex=1169960400&en=0681df2fcfa5b 3fe&ei=5094&partner=homepage

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3501
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems like a very classy lady. Nice poignant story Itsjeff!

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1484
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just bought my sister the full set of the Honeymooners on DVD for Christmas; we have been having a ball watching the episodes. I didnt know Trixie was from Detroit......thanks for the info!

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1086
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting....I didn't know the Detroit connection either. Looked her up in the 1930 census, and found her and her parents living at an apartment building at 6329 Globe. Where the heck is Globe Street?

Her father, Carl, states he is a meat cutter, born in Finland. Joyce and her mother were both born in Michigan. Here's part of the image.

joyce

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3620
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"She was a Finnish-American actress from Detroit, Joyce Sirola, who arrived in Manhattan in 1943. She took roles on Broadway and landed jobs on that fledgling television thing.

In 1951 she caught Gleason’s eye in a Clorets commercial and graduated to a serious skit on “Cavalcade of Stars,” his variety show on the DuMont Television Network in those pre-CBS years. Soon, she was Trixie.

Some New York write-ups referred to her as the Garbo of Detroit, and to Miss Randolph “that’s still a mystery,” she said. “I was a nobody in Detroit.” She sipped some of her White Cadillac. “Why Garbo? Well, she was Scandinavian — and so was I.”

Great find ItsJeff!

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3698
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Google Earth puts that address two streets north of The Lodge Freeway, on the corner of Livernois and Globe.

Funny as much time as I have spent in that area when I was younger I never heard of a Globe street. Plus from the looks of it the bldg is still there.

(Message edited by Detroit_stylin on January 27, 2007)

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1087
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting, Detroit_stylin.....I've spent a lot of time in that area also, and I swear I never noticed a "Globe" street.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.