Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Parking Ticket Amnesty « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Epaminondas
Username: Epaminondas

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know if the City will run a parking ticket amnesty program soon?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 350
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How much do you owe?

Epaminondas

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About $750

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 187
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No wonder the city's budget isnt balanced....

Pay up.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8069
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NO, wait. Your cashola today won't do much for the city's budget, and I'd bet that at SOME time you've gotten a parking ticket or two unfairly.

Just don't park ANYWHERE on the street in the city. They WILL boot you and totally screw up that and any subsequent days while you struggle to afford to pay them the FULL amount with the boot fees and etcetera attached.

These amnesty periods seem to arrive annually...when WAS the last one? I am amazed that I haven't had to partake in any in two years or so.

Last TWO tickets I got I paid immediately to save that big discount they give you IN THE FINE PRINT ON THE BACK OF THE TICKET. Better than that damn Sword of Damocoles hanging over my head.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 461
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the point at which you will get booted? Is it a concrete number?

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 420
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if i remember correctly, the last parking ticket amnesty took place last spring, and i think i remember someone saying it happens every spring, but don't quote me on that.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 462
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is this amnesty that you speak of? This sounds like something that I could use.

Gannon

Post Number: 8072
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Used to be six tickets, but they may have reduced it when they invested in that van with the camera/computer scanning system.

They might have TWO of 'em...is't been a while since that news report...you will see then cruising around downtown occasionally.

I haven't seen many boots lately, but two summers ago it was epidemic!

I really don't remember what the amnesty program saved you...might be the late penalties...it shaved off half of my debt, I thought, when I did it three years ago.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say pay up! I have paid mine and not always thought they were all fair.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 188
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you have racked up $750 in fines, I think its a little late for you to be wondering what to do. Pay the damn fines, and learn the parking rules.

If you wanted to fight them, you shouldnt have waited till you had dozens of them

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 946
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably drives an import, too.

"Hey, whats going on with all the empty buildings?"

Epaminondas

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spirit, are you the spokesman for the meter maid association?

I want to pay up, but why wouldn't I try to do so during an amnesty period so my fines are cut in half?

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 189
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, you could have and should have paid them on time and recieved the discounted ticket rate :-)

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 200
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like the parking amnesty program has an irregular schedule.
http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/cc sd/releases/04%20Releases/Park ing%20Amnesty%20Program.htm

http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/cc sd/releases/06releases/Extende d_Parking_AmnestyII.htm

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1275
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why don't you just pay your fines or not park illegally?

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 468
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh you people are so funny. Instead of pounding on E and his parking ticket problem, why don't you all take up a collection. I mean, since you are all so perfect and shit....

Gannon

Post Number: 8085
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First, the premise of parking meters ASSUMES an innate ability to recognize the passage of time.

SINCE there is no grace on THIS use of the sweep-second hand whip...I conclude that it is perfectly reasonable to fight the stacked fines they place on late payment of tickets that shouldn't exist in the first place.

Great response, Bratt! Helluva left jab you've got there.

What is the use of parking meters? Why are they here?

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1277
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parking meters help control street congestion. You can read about their rise in "Downtown: Its Rise and Fall," by Robert M. Fogelson.

As for your inability to recognize the passage of time, might I suggest you get a journal or calendar?

Gannon

Post Number: 8087
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please provide links and pictures of the current street congestion within the city of Detroit.

You can direct me to books on that, too. Street Congestion Avoidance in Modern-Day Detroit. Sounds like a best-seller.

quote:

As for your inability to recognize the passage of time, might I suggest you get a journal or calendar?

I get that all the time, 1953, I have no concept of the divisions of time...only the flow. Same with money.

You can take your western solar calendar and stick it somewhere dark, same with your watch with the sweep second hand whip!

I really tried to achieve some ability through the shackles you mere humans so willingly allow to bind you to this foreign concept. It is slavery, though, but since you've been IN IT for so long, y'all do not know any different.

Stay away from my journal, though.

CHEERS!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.