Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » 1520 Woodward « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Superduperman
Username: Superduperman

Post Number: 188
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who owns it and where can I find out any information about it.

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 671
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It used to be a Layne Bryant department store. It's old windows are part of an architectual project, called the AIA Detroit Woodward Avenue Storefront window's project.

I think it was designed by Charles Argee.

http://buildingsofdetroit.com/ arch.php

http://www.downtownpartnership .org/maps/central_Business_Dis trict.asp

As of now, it is vacant. I don't know about renovation plans.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 674
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was cleaned up for the super bowl, new windows, cleaned the stone. It's a good looking building.

Superduperman

Post Number: 189
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd have to agree,it is a very beautiful building,I wish I could find more info on it.

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 353
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How long ago did Lane Bryant go out of business?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5068
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's a great build, but nothing out of the ordinary or necessarily special, not even for its time. It would be great to see it reused, though.

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 139
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mother worked at said Lane Bryant store in the '60s and '70s. My father was a watchmaker at Wright Kay Jewelers on the same side of Woodward at the corner of Grand River(?).

My parents were divorced at the time and my father told me he made a point of avoiding my mother who worked just a few doors north of him. He said they would sometimes bump into each other a Quickie donuts in that area.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 677
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really like the stone on the facade. The simplicity is what makes it great I think. It is a great art deco building. I'd love to see the building converted into lofts or into offices.

I'm glad it was cleaned up for the Super Bowl

Walterwaves
Username: Walterwaves

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You should be able to get the owners info on the tax dept. website.
If not try dept. of buildings.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2413
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city owns it. It's under the control of the DEGC.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1744
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tabletop
Username: Tabletop

Post Number: 81
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buyer: CITY OF DETROIT DOWNTOWN DEVELOPMENT AUT (Government)

Buyer Mailing Address: 500 GRISWOLD, UNIT 2200, DETROIT, MI 48226

Seller: D P DEVELOPMENT LLC (Company/Corporation)

Seller Mailing Address: 28 BELLE MEADE, GROSSE POINTE SHORES, MI 48236

Property Address: 1520 WOODWARD

**************************** SALES INFORMATION *****************************

Sale Date: 8/1/2005

Recorded Date: 9/1/2005

Sale Price: $ 1,375,000 (Full Amount)

County Transfer Tax: $ 1,512.50
City Transfer Tax: $ 10,312.50
Total Transfer Tax: $ 11,825.00

Book/Page: 43414/804

Document Number: 205405837

Deed Type: WARRANTY DEED

Assessor's Parcel Number: 01-004131

Legal Description: LOT: 26; CITY: DETROIT; SUBDIVISION: GOVERNORS & JUDGES PLAT OF SECTION 7; RECORDER'S MAP REFERENCE: LB34 PG544

*************************** MORTGAGE INFORMATION ***************************

Title Company: LAMONT TITLE COMPANY

Long_in_the_tooth
Username: Long_in_the_tooth

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome link Milwaukee.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 678
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it was pretty cool, I just stumbled across it a couple weeks ago. It seems like they have information on every building downtown.

Superduperman

Post Number: 190
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anybody happen to know the dimensions of each floor?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 356
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in there last year setting up a window for the Super Bowl. We took a little walk through the building and up onto the roof. The building is pretty much gutted, so the interior basically has no features whatsoever. The roof is in really bad shape which is leading to damage of a few floors below. The one interesting feature of the building was that the ground floor had a large cutout in one corner to expose it more to the basement level below.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 680
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the structural state of the building? Fast deteriorating?

I'd never guess any of that damage from looking at it from Woodward.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 359
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well it is def. difficult to tell from only being in there for one day; I mean I guess if I went back now a year later I might notice differences. The roof itself was not caved in, but was leaking onto the top floor of the building which then was collapsing onto the floor below it. So I would say the roof and two floors below it need major repair. If one looks at a roof plan of the building, you can see that the roof drains to its back but then is stopped up by all of the mechanical equipment (about two-thirds the way back) at the rear of the structure (not the best design). That is probably why it isn't too noticeable from the street. So the water inevitably collects there and sinks into the building. If I recall correctly, the structure is poured concrete.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5075
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like a single, low-sloped roof that is common on most commercial structures fronting streets downtown.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 686
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are there any serious proposals for renovation?
Is the first floor usable for a restaurant or a store, or is that in bad shape too?

Redetroit
Username: Redetroit

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw a "For Sale" sign in the window of the building at the corner (APT building), called the phone number but never got a response as to the price. Anyone know any details on that building?

Milwaukee

Post Number: 689
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what's the name of the building, or address number?

Christos
Username: Christos

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Pure Detroit Barroom was once there, then it was X/S, then I think Candi Bar?

I though some developer owned it and built lofts in there? Guess not.

Beantown
Username: Beantown

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Christos - the Pure Bar Room, which became Club X/S, which became Candi Bar, which became the current bar called "The Apartment" were all on the ground floor of the Wright Kay Building, which is currently fully occupied and habitable, and not the dilapidated Lane Bryant building a few doors down.

Superduperman

Post Number: 191
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought an architect lived in the building and also owned it as well,I remember reading about his loft space above the club in some local mag,it was pretty cool.

Beantown
Username: Beantown

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Superduperman - I believe that there may be some confusion on this thread between the two buildings. If you are talking about the Wright Kay Building (at 1500 Woodward), then you are correct about an architect owning and living in that building. This thread was originally about the building at 1520 Woodward - the "Lane Bryant" building - which is the one with the roof caving in.

As I mentioned, the Wright Kay is occupied, with the Apartment night club, lofts, and the offices of the architect/owner on the 4th floor.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 364
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1520's ground floor would be more or less usable even given the state of the building. It is basically a shell with a HUGE pile of old office chairs in it. That is about the limit of contents in the entire building, last I saw. As aforementioned, there is a huge (purposefully constructed) whole in the ground floor, but it does not have any railing around it. There are newly installed electric circuit boxes on the ground floor, so that would also be another indication of the feasibility of it for some use. The low sloping roof would not have been in issue had it drained to the back edge of the building rather than to the center. Unfortunately the mechanical equipment at the back just keeps that water from flowing into the alley behind, sort of like sloping a roof towards a wall, which is not the brightest of designs.

Christos
Username: Christos

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mistake! I was looking at the wrong building in the picture.

Superduperman

Post Number: 192
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlottepaul,

Do you think the spaces on either floors are long enough for a(100ft) for a bowling lane?

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 952
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The Apartment"......If some of you lived downtown, you wouldn't be so happy about some of the clubs that have opened recently.....

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 240
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Details Gambling_man???

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 384
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Superduperman the typical footprint for buildings in downtown is about 100 feet from front to back (alley side). The answer I would have to guess would be no, but I didn't exactly have bowling on my mind when I was in the building.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of all the buldings in that picture, I'd have to say the building in question is definitely the ugliest. Looks like someone dropped a giant cinderblock on a perfectly nice block of buildings.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5085
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's actually the art deco/art moderne style and was built that way. It just goes to show that there are plenty of unspectacular historic buildings, too. Still, I'd guess the facade to be limestone, though.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 397
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, not every building can be a spectacular piece of work. Generally that is not the goal of 99% of buildings that are built.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5092
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope you know that I was simply getting at is that not every old building has to be a stunner. I think the building served its purpose all the same, and will serve another purpose in the future, hopefully. Looks aren't everything.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 407
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

agreed.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 729
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the idea of a bowling alley in the building. I know its in bad shape, but it would still be awesome if it became a restaurant/bar/bowling alley.

It is a cool building. It adds variety to the block.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 414
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

theres already a bowling alley on woodward in midtown just blocks north

Rjlj

Post Number: 250
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I challenge Milwaukee to open a restaurant/bar/bowling alley in that building.

Superduperman

Post Number: 193
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm actually interested in developing the building into something similar to Lucky Strike minus the big person games. On the first floor I would something like a bar/restaurant setup with pool tables,on the second and third floor I would have 4-5 bowling lanes with a few more pool tables and a bar on each of those floors. On the fourth and fifth I'd have club thats upstairs and downstairs,on the sixth floor would be the office/security/operations.

Rjlj

Post Number: 251
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dare Milwaukee and Superduperman to team up and make something out of this building.

Rjlj

Post Number: 253
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Detroit all talk a no show?

http://money.cnn.com/galleries /2007/fsb/0702/gallery.smallbi z_nation/3.html

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 941
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here ya go clubber's just copy this one!

http://www.planet99.com/chicag o/restaurants/9861.html

Superduperman

Post Number: 194
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nah,D&B isn't a franchise,besides I'd want to open something up with alot more character

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 419
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, the biggest challenge will definitely be a new roof and a floor or two. Other than that, it is a blank slate, all cleaned out, new windows and new electrical updates. I think that your biggest disadvantage would be the fact that since there is little interior anything, it would be somewhat difficult to have a 'theme' for the interior. It would basically just be whatever furniture you put in it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.