Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Ripple effect « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitman
Username: Detroitman

Post Number: 1044
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ripple effect

Could closing Detroit public school buildings derail the city's revitalization efforts?

Jennifer Mrozowski, Christine MacDonald and Mike Wilkinson / The Detroit News

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070131/M ETRO/701310420/1006/METRO01

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5452
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those EVIL CHARTER SCHOOLS and their conservative support for the 2003 Charter School Bill are to blame. Since last year even after the Detroit Public School strike over 51,000 students made a flight to those Evil Charter Schools in both Detroit and the suburbs. Charter Schools are booming with record enrollments every year. Now if you want to enroll your child to those evil charter schools, you have to participate in a lottery. If your number is being called your child could get in. Maybe those evil charter schools would be the wave of the future exterminating all public schools in the U.S. Public Schools must compete against those evil fake schools or die.

Danny

Post Number: 5461
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have a comment about this thread. This is a good source of information about the future of DPS.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2305
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll bite and slightly plagiarize some of Danny's post:

Those EVIL DPS SCHOOLS and their ultra-liberal condemnation for the 2003 Charter School Bill are to blame. Since last year, even after the Detroit Public School strike, over 51,000 students made a flight to those saintly Charter Schools in both Detroit and the suburbs. Charter Schools are booming with record enrollments every year.

Now if you want to enroll your child to those saintly charter schools, you have to participate in a lottery. If your number is called, then your child could get in. Maybe those saintly charter schools would be the wave of the future, exterminating all dysfunctional public schools in the US. Charter Schools must compete against those evil fake government schools or die.

Perhaps, DPS could hold a lottery itself for some lucky winners there so that they too can escape from the evil DPS schools to some charter schools. DPS could also donate via lottery some of their larger surplus schools to charter schools which could then expand their facilities into these buildings so that those lucky saintly charter schools can weasel around the cap placed on them by the evil legislature. Maybe DPS could even throw in some of those unnecessary evil administrators, which never seem to get fired.

Mthouston
Username: Mthouston

Post Number: 696
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny

Post Number: 5466
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that the evil Charter schools that teachers kids how a diabolical evil supervillians?

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2306
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kinda makes ya wonder how the parents of 51,000 kids could be so stupid, huh?

Mthouston
Username: Mthouston

Post Number: 697
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Kinda makes ya wonder how the parents of 51,000 kids could be so stupid, huh?

No, not stupid. If I was in their place, I would have bailed too.
As thing stand now I see little hope for the DPS.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very little hope it seems. How is a good kid supposed to get a decent education in schools filled with gangs? Was listening to a story about this on Michigan Radio just yesterday. They were talking about how merging schools is dangerous because kids could end up in "rival" schools and be in serious jeopardy. Rival Schools? It's sad these kids have nothing better to fill their time with than hating other kids simply becase they live on the other side of an imaginary districting line. Of course I can understand the appeal of the charter schools. Let's say you are a good parent, and you just want your kid to get a decent education. You know whats going on in the DPS. Are you really going to want to send your child there? If someone offers an alternative, aren't you going to try to take it? Is the fear that if all the "good" kids go to charter schools, the public school system will be left with only the hoodlums and gangsters? Well, I wouldn't use MY child to try to help the school system. The school system should be helping my child.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 380
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Detroit parents! To be quite honest, it doesn't matter where your kids go to school, just how you raise them and their home environment. Schools don't raise kids!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.