Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Best Schools in the Eastside « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

New2theeastside
Username: New2theeastside

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey folks, (eastsiders especially)

The wife and I are looking for a school(partime program for now, put one that she could hopefully grow with) for our 3 year old and thought it would be a good idea to get insight from all the WONDERFUL people on this forum :-) As I am a Westsider, I have only "heard" about the schools over here.

We live off Jefferson and McClellan. We have looked at Cornerstone, the Waldorf and a couple of other schools. Just wanted to get an idea of what you guys thought. Specifics about one school or the other would be great

Would also like to keep it within the City limits. Deosn't matter public or private

(Message edited by new2theeastside on January 31, 2007)

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 184
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New-I have a client who teaches at Chrysler Elementary in Lafayette Park, its apparently one of the best.

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is also the Detroit Friends School, a private school in Lafayette Park. It's been there quite awhile.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1313
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have always heard great things about the Detroit Waldorf School in Indian Village.

It's had a high-quality reputation for decades.

http://www.detroitwaldorf.com/

It's even located in an Albert Kahn-designed structure.

(Message edited by Fury13 on January 31, 2007)

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our daughter goes to Waldorf and we love it, they have multiple options for 3-6 year olds: 5-full days, 3 full-days, 5 half-days, plus before and after school care. They have monthly tours, also a February conference, that would be a good opportunity to really learn about the school. Let me know if you have any specific questions about Waldorf.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 693
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Waldorf, Friends and Chrysler Elementary are the big three. All are quite close to you, especially Waldorf. I have known families at Waldorf with young kids and with pre-teens who were very pleased with the curriculum. The school has been there since the 1960's in a very cool building.

Charter schools are popping up all over the east side every year. Most are unproven and/or undistinguished academically.

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 277
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have two girls at Chrysler and they love it. Unfortunately the 5th grader is graduating, so we need to go elsewhere next year and may put both in the same school.

We are looking at Friends, Waldorf and St Clare of Montefalco in GP but bordering East English Village area of Detroit.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2074
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Giving Tree on Marseilles, near EEV, or The Grosse Pointe Academy should also be examined.

The Giving Tree is really a nice spot for Pre-K.

New2theeastside
Username: New2theeastside

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dabirch

I have heard good things about The Giving Tree. I think my wife really likes that school.

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 279
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also check out the coop preschool at Jefferson Ave Presbyterian Church in Indian Village. It is not really part of the Church but a great bunch of people who run the preschool there.

Chrysler school kindergarten is full day, BTW.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2899
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chrysler Elementary alumna here.

I highly recommend the school. When I was there, we were one of Redbook's Best Schools in America. Excellent teachers. small class sizes. Terrific instruction.

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Giving Tree Montessori.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.