Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Woodbridge Doing Very Well « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 400
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woodbridge has really taken off. According to the management agent, houses are going upwards of $250,000 and apartments are renting for over $1,000 a month. Talk about a good idea.

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 352
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's one of my favorite Detroit neighborhoods. Unfortunately, it is now out of my price range.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11188
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your management agent is seriously stretching the truth if they are referring to places in Historic Woodbridge, as they are still mostly going for anywhere from $150,000-$200,000. There was a place that sold last month for $375,000, but it's about a 5,000-6,000 sq/ft mansion.

Prices in the $250,000+ range would be over in Woodbridge Estates, the new development, not the historic district. I believe they have some close to $400,000 even. I am told that sales over there are actually very strong. They are quickly closing in on finishing all of the units, as very few vacant plots are left. They club house was built recently as well. In addition, the land has been cleared for the proposed retail site, though no announcement for tenants has been reached. Now if only they'd turn on all the brand new street lights that have been out every since they were installed years ago.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 107
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, yes, the brand new lights that were installed years ago... Didn't an empty truck full of bricks crash into one of those one time?

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 459
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 4:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's just personal taste I know, but I have to say; I really hate the fact that half the lights in Woodbridge Estates are a nasty yellow and the other half are a pleasing white light. The yellow lights look like something that belongs in a K-Mart parking lot. Just nasty!

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Houses have in fact been going for over $200,000, just see the tax/sales records, though very few properties have been for sale recently. It seems that houses go real quick and for premium if they are either a total gut-rehab job or completely (recently) renovated. It's the ones somewhere in between that sit and eventually sell for +/-$150,000. Buyers seem to either want a huge project, or no work at all, not something half-finished. When looking at the sales records try not to cry at how little people paid even 10 years ago!

Supersport

Post Number: 11189
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where did you get your information? I did a search via my Chase account, which shows just one residential home going for over $200,000 ($204,900), one commercial building on Grand River for $300,000, and that was it. Now I know of a few others that were sold by owner, such as the one that went for around $385,000, and another that was on HGTV, fully restored, that went for $229,000 or so, but that's it.

As for not much being for sale right now, I'd say there is probably about half the usual homes for sale. Of the ones that are, every one is between around $150,000-$175,000, as I've picked up the flyers in the realtor box out front of each one. While the prices are rising, I wouldn't say they've jumped the $200,000 hurdle quite yet.

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 679
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On a side note, it's interesting reading the Wayne County real estate transactions in Sunday's Free Press to see how real estate is selling in the city. Every week there are at least five homes (I suppose they could list commercial property sales too, not sure) that sell for at least $200k.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 236
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bearinabox, what exactly is "an empty truck full of bricks"?

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 130
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone see the large clock tower they are assembling on the ground, to be hoisted to the roof top of the tower?

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I stated in the initial posting, fully and recently restored homes can go for more than $200,000, the average not-fully renovated homes (all that is currently available) seem to go for around $150,000 -$175,000. Having been inside most of what is currently on the market I can tell you they are not $200,000 homes, all need work.

I am reluctant to post addresses with numbers but 8 homes in the historic district (not including historic condos or Woodbridge Estates) have sold for more than $200,000 in the past two years. My information came straight from the city of Detroit tax records, and I am only looking at Woodbridge including Trumbull (West side of street,) Commonwealth, and Avery between Grand River and I-94, and the cross-streets therein, a very small area.

A couple neighbors' houses have appraised for well over $300,000 with work completed (not talking about the one that sold on Lincoln,) I think that may be excessive though.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1091
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

did they ever get security in woodbridge? I remember when i lived there over the summer, there was a meeting for it

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 136
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

did they ever get security in woodbridge? I remember when i lived there over the summer, there was a meeting for it

other than the volunteer vigilante K9 patrol? no....but they need help.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9186
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better to have the "volunteer vigilante K9 patrol" than nothing. But I guess preaching on a soapbox is much better than being proactive.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 108
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zephyr, it's an oxymoron. Sort of like the brand new streetlights installed years ago.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 402
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was Woodbridge Estates. My info came from the management agent for the Woodbridge Estates project.

Supersport

Post Number: 11193
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah yes, those are selling in that range, and selling well as I stated.

They are set to tear down the projects across the freeway near Grand River in a few months for another project a lot like Woodbridge Estates.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.